• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Personally, I think that the easiest way to carry legally is to get permission from all of the landowners you might ever visit, keep the written permission documents in a book you carry, and stay off the streets.

You mean like Ferris Bueller?

hqdefault.jpg

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    A couple of things, we can open or conceal carry in most government facilities. Federal are mostly no go, correctional facilities also. Buildings that contain a court room may or may not be, and other state level the same. I have open carried in quite a few government facilities with no problem. Schools are usually no go concealed or open, unless you have the proper permission. Regarding private property, what do you mean by "correctly posts "no guns""? For a business owner or agent thereof to ask/tell you to leave does not require any postings. There is a line of thought that with a sign that has specific wording that by entering when carrying you are in violation of the trespass law.

By "correctly posts" I mean that the sign has to be clearly worded as to policy and has to be posted in a location where all customers would have fair opportunity to see it before going in. The ubiquitous red circle with a line on a silhouette of a gun by itself likely wouldn't fly. Even the minimum verbiage "no guns" would likely not pass muster. But a red-circle-line on the gun silhouette with the verbiage "We do not allow firearms on the premises except by law enforcement personnel" posted at/near the entrance where any reasonable person would see it on entering would be considered correct.

I don't yet carry, open or concealed, but I've started to get myself in the habit of looking for such signs when entering a business.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have carried for years and I make a habit of not looking for signs and ignoring those that I do happen to notice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    By "correctly posts" I mean that the sign has to be clearly worded as to policy and has to be posted in a location where all customers would have fair opportunity to see it before going in. The ubiquitous red circle with a line on a silhouette of a gun by itself likely wouldn't fly. Even the minimum verbiage "no guns" would likely not pass muster. But a red-circle-line on the gun silhouette with the verbiage "We do not allow firearms on the premises except by law enforcement personnel" posted at/near the entrance where any reasonable person would see it on entering would be considered correct.

I don't yet carry, open or concealed, but I've started to get myself in the habit of looking for such signs when entering a business.

So what purpose would such signs serve other than to tell potential customers that they're not welcome if they carry?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

IMO that sign wouldn't work, at least no more than a "gun buster" circle/slash. It doesn't expressly deny entry. But enough with that. I was just curious as to what you meant.

So what purpose would such signs serve other than to tell potential customers that they're not welcome if they carry?

Not much.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale

No purpose whatsoever, other than to say that they don't want your business. In a free state like Indiana there's not much of this mindset. But in California and other such places signs like these are located all over.

Funny, but when I lived in Cali it's harder than s%&t to get a CCW and open-carry is illegal statewide. Yet businesses there feel the need to express their political agenda by posting these nonsense signs. Since moving to the Midwest I've noticed a few "no guns" signs, mostly in national chains that are famous for their leftist leanings. Starbucks and Panera Bread come to mind. I did notice a no guns sign next to the entrance at a Meijer in Columbus, OH but not at the Meijer off I-275 and Colerain down by Cincinnati, nor at the one in Florence, KY. So far I've not seen a no guns sign anywhere in Indiana, but then most of my shopping and such is in Ohio or Kentucky.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    No purpose whatsoever, other than to say that they don't want your business. In a free state like Indiana there's not much of this mindset. But in California and other such places signs like these are located all over.

Funny, but when I lived in Cali it's harder than s%&t to get a CCW and open-carry is illegal statewide. Yet businesses there feel the need to express their political agenda by posting these nonsense signs. Since moving to the Midwest I've noticed a few "no guns" signs, mostly in national chains that are famous for their leftist leanings. Starbucks and Panera Bread come to mind. I did notice a no guns sign next to the entrance at a Meijer in Columbus, OH but not at the Meijer off I-275 and Colerain down by Cincinnati, nor at the one in Florence, KY. So far I've not seen a no guns sign anywhere in Indiana, but then most of my shopping and such is in Ohio or Kentucky.

I feel like it has more to do with liability purposes more than anything else.

Top Bottom