• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's going to depend totally on the officer. Me personally, I'm probably not going to bother even making contact with someone carrying unless I have reason to believe that something else is going on. I'm pro gun and 2A, some cops are not. I'm (fairly) well versed in carry laws and know what I can/can't do. Some cops are not. My advice would be to comply with the request, if you're upset with how things were handled contact the department afterwards and address your complaint(s). The place to argue about something is in court, not on the street or the side of the road. Depending on the officer and their ego, you may end up getting locked up if the situation escalates greatly. Not saying that the arrest would hold up in court (although it very well could as every jurisdiction and prosecutor has their own interpretation of what the law means) but you would still have to go through the hassle. Just my :twocents:.

You cannot "make contact" with anyone just for carrying. We live in a post-Pinner world. Not your "call", not your "discretion". You cannot do it.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    You cannot "make contact" with anyone just for carrying. We live in a post-Pinner world. Not your "call", not your "discretion". You cannot do it.

What about a consensual encounter? So long as there is nothing to indicate any kind of detention, can't an officer approach a citizen and "make contact" for any reason, or no reason? The citizen is not required to cooperate, or even acknowledge the officer's presence, but so long as there is no seizure, is there a problem?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What about a consensual encounter? So long as there is nothing to indicate any kind of detention, can't an officer approach a citizen and "make contact" for any reason, or no reason? The citizen is not required to cooperate, or even acknowledge the officer's presence, but so long as there is no seizure, is there a problem?

No problems with consensual. That's on Talky McTalkerson. As I said before, this happens to me almost daily with female officers demanding my phone number.

Free legal advice: shut up.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

I can talk to anyone I want at work. Whether or not they want to partake in the conversation is a different story. All I said was barring any other information given or circumstances other than "there's a dude carrying a gun" I'm not going to even initiate an encounter and just go back in service.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    No problems with consensual. That's on Talky McTalkerson. As I said before, this happens to me almost daily with female officers demanding my phone number.

Although my employer will not permit me to give legal advice, if I could, I would echo this times one zillion.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability.

That is a problem, for some who cannot stand silence. The will have to listen to me sing.

I can talk to anyone I want at work. Whether or not they want to partake in the conversation is a different story. All I said was barring any other information given or circumstances other than "there's a dude carrying a gun" I'm not going to even initiate an encounter and just go back in service.

It has been said on INGO that if an officer is dispatched he must make contact. Have the dispatch or response protocols been modified post-Pinner?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    That is a problem, for some who cannot stand silence. The will have to listen to me sing.

It has been said on INGO that if an officer is dispatched he must make contact. Have the dispatch or response protocols been modified post-Pinner?

Well if it was on INGO it must be true then! Just like laws and ordinances, department SOP's are different everywhere.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

[video=youtube;neUaSTSKFZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUaSTSKFZc[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well if it was on INGO it must be true then! Just like laws and ordinances, department SOP's are different everywhere.

Thank you for your response.

Are there any law enforcement people who have more information on this?

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    Look for it near these other fine selections by Kirk Freeman:

"How to live a rhino-free life"

"Understanding Why Smith & Wesson Kit Guns Are the Coolest Thing Ever"

"Sitting in a Darkened Room Drumming Your Fingers Against the Arm Chair for Better Health"

Oh! The "Sitting in a Darkened Room..." book was a life-changer when I read it! Only topped by "That's Not a Real Problem: My Love Letter to Millenials"

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Happens to me all the time with female officers. I give them my cell phone number with little hearts around it.

Some free non legal advice, those "female officers" outside your office with the short skirts, heavy makeup, deep voices, and an Adams apple, are not officers or female. And even if consensual is not a good idea.

This is you? You look different than I pictured.
    [video=youtube;nTtEcWUv2X8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtEcWUv2X8[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Some free non legal advice, those "female officers" outside your office with the short skirts, heavy makeup, deep voices, and an Adams apple, are not officers or female. And even if consensual is not a good idea.

The best looking hookers are always cops. Teach us that in Criminal Procedure II.

Top Bottom