• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've dealt with raccoons for years, they are persistent and smart. Rhino has the best idea, live trap then cap the raccoon in the cage, put it in a plastic bag with the trash. Bait the trap with marshmallows or sardines, if you have a trap smart raccoon put a mouse trap in the live trap. The mouse trap goes off easy and startles the raccoon into setting off the live trap.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've dealt with raccoons for years, they are persistent and smart. Rhino has the best idea, live trap then cap the raccoon in the cage, put it in a plastic bag with the trash. Bait the trap with marshmallows or sardines, if you have a trap smart raccoon put a mouse trap in the live trap. The mouse trap goes off easy and startles the raccoon into setting off the live trap.

My father and I were raccoon decimating team for a few years. We lived on the edge of a large field and he grew a large garden and had fruit trees, so the nuisance raccoon population was ridiculous. I lost count after a while.

Trapping and releasing doesn't work well. You can't legally take them far enough away so that they can't find their way back if they choose. At best, releasing them makes them someone else's problem, which is uncool.

Live trap and euthanize.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The cheapest smelly cat food you can find. They are crack whores for the stuff. Once in the trap they get a last meal. Very humane.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Turn the pressure down on your marker, fill your hopper with paintballs. Put hopper in freezer over night. Next time he shows up blast him with frozen PAIN balls. The pressure turn down is so that you dont break any of its bones. If you do it right it should feel like a fully grown man punching you.

I think that the raccoon would think twice before coming back and also way less mess.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Turn the pressure down on your marker, fill your hopper with paintballs. Put hopper in freezer over night. Next time he shows up blast him with frozen PAIN balls. The pressure turn down is so that you dont break any of its bones. If you do it right it should feel like a fully grown man punching you.

I think that the raccoon would think twice before coming back and also way less mess.

In my experience, discouragement measures are ineffective. It might work on an occasional raccoon who isn't that motivated to come back, but that would be unusual. They are incredibly persistent.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my experience, discouragement measures are ineffective. It might work on an occasional raccoon who isn't that motivated to come back, but that would be unusual. They are incredibly persistent.

If there is a solid reliable food source they will be back.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had three of the buggars on one of my video cameras one night. People detector light sensitive enough to trigger on something that small. Cat or possum would run at the light, but a coon would at the very most stop, turn and look at the light for a couple of seconds, then on about its business. Usually they'd just ignore it. I don't think they know about giving you the finger. Yet. They can be cute, though, had a mother with three babies walk down the driveway. When they got to the street, she stopped them, stood up and looked both ways before crossing. Oh, I remember one gratuitously cruel thing I did to one. I left it a few unwrapped pieces of sal****er taffy. It started chewing on one. And chewing. And chewing. I reckon that one would have given me the finger. You see, a raccoon has no salivary glands. It's not washing its food or something, some things have to be wet for them to eat. You may be able to use that as part of your strategery.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The cheapest smelly cat food you can find. They are crack whores for the stuff. Once in the trap they get a last meal. Very humane.

^^^This...will get one the first night every time. I had to wire a small empty cat food can to the trigger plate to keep them from reaching in from the side.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Forgot to add... those green cups in the trap had some dry cat food and some peanut butter smeared around the rim. I think the peanut butter smell draws them in.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have caught a bunch of coons in a live trap baited with mini marshmallows. I throw some outside of the trap and then some back in the back. I found I had to put cement blocks around the trap and one on top. Otherwise they would somehow flip the trap and work their way out. I shoot them in the head a couple times with a pellet gun then.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have caught a bunch of coons in a live trap baited with mini marshmallows. I throw some outside of the trap and then some back in the back. I found I had to put cement blocks around the trap and one on top. Otherwise they would somehow flip the trap and work their way out. I shoot them in the head a couple times with a pellet gun then.

Yes, I forgot about that. That trap in the picture is wired to the grill next to it. And my 'euthenizer" is also a pellet gun.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you guys think coons are bad you should have some fun with beavers and muskrats...maybe that didn't come out right...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You're not going to get it to go away permanently by pelting it with paintballs. It will just be more careful about when it returns. Do yourself and all of your neighbors a favor and eliminate the threat.

1. Live trap.
    2. Transport to a location within your county where you can euthanize it with a .22LR to the head.
    3. There are alternative euthanizing methods you can use on your property as well.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3364.htm

^this!!
    all raccoons just need to die.
    they are destructive animals.
    your bird seed today and next week your home attic will be seens as a nice place to live and have babies. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!!

get a cage put an oreo with peanut butter and wait. the racoon will be in the cage. once u have it in cage send it to its maker.

a 55gal drum filled with water does the trick. toss the cage and come back later or as others have said .22lr to the head.

but do NOT count it as a victory. they come in packs. so you will have to repeat 2 to 3 more times. hopefully you catch the big one, the mom, and end the pack.

are you in terrau haute??
    im in nwi if you want i can meet you 1/2 if you want a 55gal barrel. if you lived closer i would do the job for you as i hate racoons. they cost me $$$$$ a few years ago in damages.

Top Bottom