• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Closest I've had to damage from coons has been one tearing open trash bags, and another digging at the roof where the tree rats and some water damage had torn it up some. That one actually showed me where I needed to do a repair, so I didn't shoot it. Damnedest thing, when I repaired the roof at that point, there was a pair of possums just out of nowhere that I repaired into the attic. A couple of trips up the ladder with an AR loaded with HPs euthanized those.

I had a groundhog in the backyard once, and the little I could see of it, it was all claws and teeth and hate. I just left the gate open so it could leave.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Had a ground hog in the front yard this spring...gassed it while it slept. Nasty stuff those gas bombs, make sure you've plugged all the holes and stand by with a shovel to plug the ones you missed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have 2 live traps. As stated we use the smelliest cheapest canned cat food we can find.
    When ever w put it out it seldom fails to be occupied in the morning.

So far this year.....
    Ground hogs-2. Euthanized
    Raccoons..2. Euthanized
    Possums...3. Euthinized
    Ferrell cats.....lost count. No comment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have 2 live traps. As stated we use the smelliest cheapest canned cat food we can find.
    When ever w put it out it seldom fails to be occupied in the morning.

So far this year.....
    Ground hogs-2. Euthanized
    Raccoons..2. Euthanized
    Possums...3. Euthinized
    Ferrell cats.....lost count. No comment.
    Ferrell cat? ;)
    rmLHL3oeSMODUj9BwIrw_zoo%20fb.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Closest I've had to damage from coons has been one tearing open trash bags, and another digging at the roof where the tree rats and some water damage had torn it up some. That one actually showed me where I needed to do a repair, so I didn't shoot it. Damnedest thing, when I repaired the roof at that point, there was a pair of possums just out of nowhere that I repaired into the attic. A couple of trips up the ladder with an AR loaded with HPs euthanized those.

I had a groundhog in the backyard once, and the little I could see of it, it was all claws and teeth and hate. I just left the gate open so it could leave.

When we first started seeing groundhogs in our back yard, I couldn't believe how big they were. I think the only rodents who get bigger around here are beavers, but groundhogs can be huge. YOOGE. Some we had were easily twice the size of a big raccoon.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When we first started seeing groundhogs in our back yard, I couldn't believe how big they were. I think the only rodents who get bigger around here are beavers, but groundhogs can be huge. YOOGE. Some we had were easily twice the size of a big raccoon.

This is an exaggeration or you've only seen small coons.

Largest coon on record is over 60# IIRC. Biggest grizzled old grey haired clover fed groundhog I ever shot was the better part of a 5 gallon bucket and about 30 lbs.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is an exaggeration or you've only seen small coons.

Largest coon on record is over 60# IIRC. Biggest grizzled old grey haired clover fed groundhog I ever shot was the better part of a 5 gallon bucket and about 30 lbs.

I have never seen a raccoon that was even close to 60#, nor was I aware they could get that big.

The biggest raccoon I've killed I'd estimate was about 20-25 lbs. I never weighed a groundhog, but I've seen half a dozen minimum that were at least 50% longer than that raccoon (not counting tails) and significantly bigger in girth. They would "stand" in our back yard on their haunches and look around without a care in the world. No fear!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The last Coon we caught was near to big for the trap. He was really hard to get out of it. Must have really wanted that stinky cat food.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got one big coon one time in the trap. He was a big 'un. I have caught dozens of small to mid sized ones.
    I do agree that ground hogs fool you. From the kitchen window they look like giant garden eating machines. When I find one dead in the Conibear, they aren't all that big.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've only managed to eradicate two woodchucks. The first was pretty good sized, but not huge at a shooting range. I'd just zeroed my EOTech from 50 yards while prone and the chubby bastich decided the coast was clear and ambled across the range at the edge of the backstop. I did not pick him up to estimate weight, but I wish I had now!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, I caught my coon in the live trap last night. All the times I baited the trap, the bait would be stolen (probably one of the cats) and one night I was too tired to be troubled, this dummy went in and got caught with no bait in the trap. It's not a real big one, but damn. I've also seen a third black cat out there, looked 7-9 months old best I could tell. Now I have to work on outsmarting them.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    My father-in-law said use marshmallows, the big ones. Cats won't eat them, but the coons apparently love them.
    When I lived in Indiana I caught 8-10 raccoons using marshmallows. For some reason the raccoons were very picky and would not enter the trap if I used generic marshmallows. They only liked JetPuff and similar premium brands.

Top Bottom