• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I charged the battery and had to make sure it works. I just messed around with it in the living room. I should be a blast. I took everything I had to NOT take it outside and really open it up. I might have to buy one for myself now.
    Go big or go home. :D

uc

view

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    O.k., so slight thread jack; gas or electric? I love the sound of the gas engines so there's a plus in the gas column!

I asked the guy at the hobby shop the same question. His opinion was while they a stupid fast, the gas ones require lots of tuning. Temp changes, humidity changes all effect the way they run. He races them so I don't know if that is just for racing or for just running it in the yard. He said the cost was quite a bit more also.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I asked the guy at the hobby shop the same question. His opinion was while they a stupid fast, the gas ones require lots of tuning. Temp changes, humidity changes all effect the way they run. He races them so I don't know if that is just for racing or for just running it in the yard. He said the cost was quite a bit more also.

I'm just a little concerned about run time and battery charging time. Seems like waiting on batteries to charge would take some of the fun out of it and then of course the lack of exhaust noise is a downer also.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm just a little concerned about run time and battery charging time. Seems like waiting on batteries to charge would take some of the fun out of it and then of course the lack of exhaust noise is a downer also.

The Traxxis I bought says under 45 min charge time. Extra batteries are $25. So conceivably, a dual charger and 3 batteries and you'd be good.

I'll report on run time in a few weeks when my boy gets it for his birthday.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Nitro ones aren't really too picky once you get the carb set right if you are just bashing around the yard. if you are trying to squeeze a few milliseconds off your lap time then you will be tuning to every temp and humidity change. Nitro cars are a blast, but fuel isn't cheap. Roughly $13 for a quart.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    It depends on what you want. I have a nitro and love it for all of the tinkering you have to do but if I had an electric I probably would get to drive it more. I may pick up an electric some day. Here's a list of the pros and cons of each but I am not an expert this is just from my experience so I may have left things off.

Nitro Pros
    • Fast top speed (should be able to pass an electric with enough space).
    • Fill up and go.
    • Sound and smell if you're into that.
    • Good if you like tinkering.

Nitro Cons
    • Can take a while to start.
      • My Traxxas has an EZ Start and the battery can die in it requiring charging like an electric.
      • A pull start can be difficult, much like starting a chainsaw you haven't run in a long time.
    • Can hydrolock in water.
    • Noisy if you don't want to annoy neighbors/others.
    • Tuning takes work depending on weather.
      • It takes me a few minutes to get the tune to run smoothly when it gets cold and then you change it when it gets hot again.
      • As mentioned above if you're trying to squeeze every bit of power it'll take a lot of work but you still have to tune it for drastic weather changes.
    • Require a lot of maintenance.
      • You have to empty the fuel and clear the lines especially if it's going to sit a while or it will gum them up.
      • You need to oil the filter every so often.
      • You should put after-run oil in the glow plug hole after running it (if it's going to sit a while between runs).
      • Glow plugs need changed regularly.
      • Engines need rebuilt or torn down/cleaned if they gum up from old nitro fuel.
    • Not recommended to run below a certain temp (45* or something like that but it may differ by manufacturer).

Electric Pros

• Plug and play.
    • Quiet.
    • Fast acceleration.
    • Doesn't require purchasing nitro fuel.
    • Can drive through water (with waterproof electronics) without worrying about locking your engine.
    • No tuning required and can drive year-round.

Electric Cons
    • Not good if you like to tinker.
    • Have to wait on the batteries to charge but if you have enough spare batteries this isn't a problem.
    • Brushless RCs are expensive.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Traxxas is Good To Go! My friend's son built one while his dad was Deployed. Used money from his first job for the project. When complete he had $1,000+ in it. He gifted it to his Dad when he got Home. Good Kid!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It depends on what you want. I have a nitro and love it for all of the tinkering you have to do but if I had an electric I probably would get to drive it more. I may pick up an electric some day. Here's a list of the pros and cons of each but I am not an expert this is just from my experience so I may have left things off.

Nitro Pros
    • Fast top speed (should be able to pass an electric with enough space).
    • Fill up and go.
    • Sound and smell if you're into that.
    • Good if you like tinkering.

Nitro Cons
    • Can take a while to start.
      • My Traxxas has an EZ Start and the battery can die in it requiring charging like an electric.
      • A pull start can be difficult, much like starting a chainsaw you haven't run in a long time.
    • Can hydrolock in water.
    • Noisy if you don't want to annoy neighbors/others.
    • Tuning takes work depending on weather.
      • It takes me a few minutes to get the tune to run smoothly when it gets cold and then you change it when it gets hot again.
      • As mentioned above if you're trying to squeeze every bit of power it'll take a lot of work but you still have to tune it for drastic weather changes.
    • Require a lot of maintenance.
      • You have to empty the fuel and clear the lines especially if it's going to sit a while or it will gum them up.
      • You need to oil the filter every so often.
      • You should put after-run oil in the glow plug hole after running it (if it's going to sit a while between runs).
      • Glow plugs need changed regularly.
      • Engines need rebuilt or torn down/cleaned if they gum up from old nitro fuel.
    • Not recommended to run below a certain temp (45* or something like that but it may differ by manufacturer).

Electric Pros

• Plug and play.
    • Quiet.
    • Fast acceleration.
    • Doesn't require purchasing nitro fuel.
    • Can drive through water (with waterproof electronics) without worrying about locking your engine.
    • No tuning required and can drive year-round.

Electric Cons
    • Not good if you like to tinker.
    • Have to wait on the batteries to charge but if you have enough spare batteries this isn't a problem.
    • Brushless RCs are expensive.

Very useful read, thanks!!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Bought a stampede 4x4 earlier this year, might sell it. Barely played with it, guess that happens with a one year old. Body is not strong, broke rear clip attaching areas already. The curbs in my subdivision I thought might be good for jumping, turns out they are good for flipping.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Very useful read, thanks!!

:yesway:

Like I mentioned. It should be pretty accurate but I’m not expert. Just been into RC for a very long time and have friends into different parts as well. I used to own an electric Heli but all I did was crash the thing so I got rid of it. I’d like to pick up a Traxxas drone sometime and if I ever get a bunch of land get a drone with a camera.

Last edited:

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Bought a stampede 4x4 earlier this year, might sell it. Barely played with it, guess that happens with a one year old. Body is not strong, broke rear clip attaching areas already. The curbs in my subdivision I thought might be good for jumping, turns out they are good for flipping.

That sounds like bad luck. I flipped my T-Maxx a couple times hitting a pile of dirt and it landed on the roof after a 3-4’ fall at 20 miles an hour and it was fine. I also wrecked into my house at full speed and the truck was fine. I drove a friend’s Stampede back in high school and it took a beating too. I would agree that the small curbs in neighborhoods aren’t good for jumps. I don’t think they are tall/steel enough. I got one nice jump on one before but it was because the truck wheelied right before it went up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My son got it today. He and I ran through 2 batteries with a single charge in between. This thing is a wheelie monster. But once you get the hang of it, it handles pretty good. We made a smallish ramp, about 20" of the ground. I landed it about every time. My boy still has a hard time hitting the ramp square but he'll get the hang of it.

So far, it seems pretty tough. Time will tell.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My son got it today. He and I ran through 2 batteries with a single charge in between. This thing is a wheelie monster. But once you get the hang of it, it handles pretty good. We made a smallish ramp, about 20" of the ground. I landed it about every time. My boy still has a hard time hitting the ramp square but he'll get the hang of it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    O.k., so slight thread jack; gas or electric? I love the sound of the gas engines so there's a plus in the gas column!
    Late to the party but IMO electric is the way to go. Battery technology has reached the point where you could practically run all day if you wanted. I have two very high performance electrics one will reach nearly 65 MPH with the appropriate batteries and gearing. Fun if you have the space to run it up to full speed but also a bit ridiculous. The other is the one pictured above and while it is a bit slower at 50 MPH I have more fun with it geared and powered for 30 MPH. Bonus of the lower gearing is more runtime. Runtime is also highly dependent on how your driving. If you just hold the throttle wide open for the entire battery you're probably looking at around 20 minutes. I typically get 30 - 45 minutes out of it seeing what I can jump over, climb over, etc... There are also higher capacity batteries that can be purchased if you don't go for the name brand. SMC has several high capacity battery options to give you even more run time. Charging can also be sped up with more powerful chargers but that's again an area where you would want to research. My above mentioned vehicles take two batteries and I can charge them in about 20 - 35 minutes depending on how empty they are when I start and how hot I want to charge them.

Of course you realize that once he gets addicted he'll need bigger and faster ones right? ;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Fairly decent day so I set up a small course in the back yard for my boy to learn control. Nice and slow. He's getting the hang if it.

FpAjvgW.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Very cool! I just picked up a E-Revo 56036, but I'm wondering if I would like the Summit better since it can be put in a lower gear, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. These are great machines and lot of fun though. It's crazy to see how much better the technology is from when I was little.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    How is your son doing with his new truck? I bet he's gotten pretty good with it by now since we've been having fairly decent weather.

Top Bottom