• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've got a Revo that I'm converting to brushless. Slow process as it is not a high priority project, but I'll get there.

I've been very impressed by Traxxas trucks.

I haven;t had my stuff out for quite a while. I really should get some of it out. I agree. Traxxes makes some insane stiff. You can literally be the hell out of them. Parts are plentiful. Some one actually make a super charger. I can imagine how that thing scoots.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Had some dirt road fun today.

[video=youtube_share;E_sSUipUtoY]http://youtu.be/E_sSUipUtoY[/video]

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like you are having a blast with your boy!

I had a Slash 2WD and really enjoyed it for awhile. It was good fun with the NiCad battery but fantastic with a LiPo battery. The LiPo added enough grunt to get the Slash to do wheelies, the stadium trucks seem to struggle with that more. I enjoyed it right up until the fancy charger overcharged a LiPo the first time, it didn’t blow thankfully and was discharged safely. The truck wasn’t as much fun without the LiPo but I no longer trusted the batteries.

When I do it again, I’ll go with it my original want and get a nitro T-MAXX and not be talked out of it by the hobby store.

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon

I had a Slash 2WD and really enjoyed it for awhile. It was good fun with the NiCad battery but fantastic with a LiPo battery. The LiPo added enough grunt to get the Slash to do wheelies, the stadium trucks seem to struggle with that more. I enjoyed it right up until the fancy charger overcharged a LiPo the first time, it didn’t blow thankfully and was discharged safely. The truck wasn’t as much fun without the LiPo but I no longer trusted the batteries.

When I do it again, I’ll go with it my original want and get a nitro T-MAXX and not be talked out of it by the hobby store.
    You can find used nitros at a pretty good price. I might have to give them a try one of these days.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m actually looking for a RC car/truck. I have a cheap one from Walmart, but doesn’t do well on carpet. Be nice to have one that’s good for inside and the outdoors, without breaking the bank.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I would sell my e-revo. I'm in the middle of swapping it over to brushless and it's not finished yet. I'm running out of steam with this as a back-burner project. I still have all of the old parts in a box, and just put the new receiver, motor, and the Monster X ESC in, but haven't finished connecting it yet. I pretty much just need to solder the motor wires to the ESC and put some Traxxas connectors on the ESC so the batteries can be connected. The guy I got it from barely used it so it is in very good condition. I'm not interested enough to put it in the classifieds, but I could be persuaded to sell it.
    Though this would NOT be good for indoors :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I’m actually looking for a RC car/truck. I have a cheap one from Walmart, but doesn’t do well on carpet. Be nice to have one that’s good for inside and the outdoors, without breaking the bank.

The trucks we have were $200. Traxxas makes a few buggy types that are about $150. This includes the remote and a battery. The parts are cheap, usually about $1-$3 for the suspension parts you'll break.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Don't let a single experience limit you. Lithium batteries are used in nearly everything today and while there are reports of problems they are the exception not the rule. You should find out why your charger overcharged the battery and then continue enjoying the hobby. Lithium batteries have revolutionized the RC world.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you have any existing (batteries, chargers, tools, etc...) equipment? Traxxas certainly has stuff in that range but it gets more expensive if you're just starting out. You can also look at used equipment if you aren't sure how deeply you want to dive in. Once you get started things get less expensive as you typically don't have to buy that stuff again when you expand your RC collection.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't let a single experience limit you. Lithium batteries are used in nearly everything today and while there are reports of problems they are the exception not the rule. You should find out why your charger overcharged the battery and then continue enjoying the hobby. Lithium batteries have revolutionized the RC world.

It’s a moot point, the whole package was sold after not being used for several months. FWIW, it was a Venom Pro 2 Charger and it looks likes has been upgraded from what I had.

The LiPo issue was just the final nail in the coffin. It was a fun truck just not what I really wanted.

Went in for a T-MAXX and left with an electric Slash because I trusted the hobby store (specializing in R/Cs) that it do what I wanted. It did, kinda. I’ll go nitro next time around.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    4wd is easier to drive. A lot less fishtailing and it steers better. As for which model, I can only speak to the 2wd Stampede & Summit Bigfoot (same thing just a different body and tire/wheel combo). They have been good to us. Upgrades are a little limited though. The wheel/tire combo is different than the 4wd models. There are only 2 sets available. The Stampede and the Summit Bigfoot kind.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What about brushed VS brushless?
    Brushless is the current king of the hill of course it comes at a price. Just depends on how fast you want to go and how much you like to tinker and upgrade parts as you find the weak ones. They are relatively low maintenance as well, just don't over heat them. Aim for 140-160 degrees after running it.

Top Bottom