Range: .22LR to begin elimination of Semi-Autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Just to give you some perspective of the capabilities of .22 ammo and top target pistols, I submit this testing at 50 yards: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11986-pardini-22-group-testing

A friend of mine who is a high master used a Pardini to win the Camp Perry 22 Championship in 1999 if I recall correctly. He still shoots very well. Here is a one handed 50 yard target he shot last year with the Pardini - his comment was "The sights need adjusted."
    View attachment 75913

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beretta only: 20', 30' & 40', using two-hand standing and a rest.
    Testing it out more since cleaning and it's on my "sell" list.
    I ran 4 kinds of ammo through it for a total of 150 rounds.
    No issues with CCI Mini-Mags HV
    No issues with Winchester Super X HV
    No issues with Armscor HV HP 36 grain
    3 of 15 rounds FTL with Remington Golden Bullets HV HP

A95JHFt.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Beretta only: 20', 30' & 40', using two-hand standing and a rest.
    Testing it out more since cleaning and it's on my "sell" list.
    I ran 4 kinds of ammo through it for a total of 150 rounds.
    No issues with CCI Mini-Mags HV
    No issues with Winchester Super X HV
    No issues with Armscor HV HP 36 grain
    3 of 15 rounds FTL with Remington Golden Bullets HV HP

A95JHFt.jpg
    Do you happen to be left-handed?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range day with 5 semi-autos.
    Left the "new" Browning Buckmark at home by mistake.
    Didn't take the S/W 41.

It was all 30' and I did some freestanding two-hand, and then some "Rest," which was sitting and resting my hand on two gun boxes.
    I also did some adjustments on some of the rear sights (adj.)
    The guns with green front sights I am compromised on and can't see the green when I'm shooting, especially at a red target.
    Most of the guns I was able to make progress in adjusting the sights.
    I don't know how to adjust the GSG sights.

S/W Victory
    qs8qYpo.jpg

S/W 22A I forgot to mention the bottom targets were from using a grip.
    Cv03TOT.jpg

Ruger Mark 4 Target Forgot to label where I used the rest, but that is obvious.
    trOGSpL.jpg

Used 5 different brands of ammo to check FTL, and had a problem only with an old batch of Remington Golden Bullets since I cleaned it.
    There were some old Remington Golden Bullets that I had in a baggie that I had 2 or 3 FTL but not with any of the other brands or even a new fresh container of Remington Golden Bullets.
    There were even 2 failure to fire, but they did fire the 2nd time I tried, so I think that old batch of Remington Golden Bullets were not quite right.
    When I used the old batch with other guns there was no problem except a failure to fire once, but did so 2nd time again.
    I was thinking the GSG just didn't like the Remington Golden Bullets, but the new open container had no issue.
    Looks like the GSG will be the next one to sell.

GSG 1911-22
    6iQQnAB.jpg

Colt Target Forgot to label the ones with a rest.
    mXH8lYv.jpg

Last edited:

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Since shooting smallbore I am super picky about my trigger.You might analyze your pistols from the perspective of trigger satisfaction.
    Creep –
    Feel at engagement –
    Break –
    Overtravel –
    To bad we are so far apart I would let you shoot my S&W 41 with professionally tuned trigger. It is not a tuned Hamerlli or Pardini quality trigger but they can be made into a fine trigger.
    Doug

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I will add a red dot that I have probably this summer when I have narrowed done the "herd."...

Appreciate the scientific-ness of what you're trying to do here...but if you have vision issues...the first gun that you put the dot on...will be the "best one you've ever shot."

It massively increases your ability to call shots accurately, from the moment you start using it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Appreciate the scientific-ness of what you're trying to do here...but if you have vision issues...the first gun that you put the dot on...will be the "best one you've ever shot."

It massively increases your ability to call shots accurately, from the moment you start using it.

Exactly , with open sights I was having great difficulty achieving a good sight picture with my 4" Ruger 22/45 and began to think the gun was defective as even my 15 yards groups were not what I had expected . Adding a Vortex Venom changed everything as I now shoot the Ruger at 50 yards with good results. Before then I was ready to part ways with the Ruger and now it is one of my favorites!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since shooting smallbore I am super picky about my trigger.You might analyze your pistols from the perspective of trigger satisfaction.
    Creep –
    Feel at engagement –
    Break –
    Overtravel –
    To bad we are so far apart I would let you shoot my S&W 41 with professionally tuned trigger. It is not a tuned Hamerlli or Pardini quality trigger but they can be made into a fine trigger.
    Doug

Exactly , with open sights I was having great difficulty achieving a good sight picture with my 4" Ruger 22/45 and began to think the gun was defective as even my 15 yards groups were not what I had expected . Adding a Vortex Venom changed everything as I now shoot the Ruger at 50 yards with good results. Before then I was ready to part ways with the Ruger and now it is one of my favorites!

Doug, I can't imagine the Smith 41 trigger any better than what they come with!
    The more experience I get using a good trigger, the more I get it.

Twangbanger, I certainly believe you. I bought a Bushnell red dot and intend to put it on one after the trimming process.
    I've thought that if I end up keeping the Smith 41, that would be the one to put it on.
    This summer I'll get around to addressing that.
    I bought a Ruger Charger that came with a red dot, and I'm waiting to have time to learn about adjusting it for my eyes.

700 LTR 223, 15 yards? I can see where the round is going barely at 30, but at 40' it is "iffy" and at 50' it's barely. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One quality rifle and a 4x scope and that problems goes away! Just saying :p :laugh:

I was just thinking while reading the "red dot" comments, that could be the next evolution in my pursuits.
    I'll start off with a little Bushnell red dot on a pistol, move up to the Ruger Charger, then rifles with a scope. :ugh:
    I sold the $300 Henry lever action rifle I had since I couldn't see the front site and didn't want to spend $300 (or more) to get a scope, especially for a 50' range.
    I can see where shooting 25 or 50 yrds. with optics on a rifle would be a treat, which would lead to a better optic to do 100 yrds.
    I can't even fathom further. :lmfao:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    700 LTR 223, 15 yards? I can see where the round is going barely at 30, but at 40' it is "iffy" and at 50' it's barely. :dunno:

Not saying I see where the rounds are going in at on target but with a red dot once the shot is fired I more often than not know if it was a good shot. With open sights getting a nice sight picture , that is seeing the sights clearly with the target slightly out of focus is something I have great difficulty with - everything is out of focus! Shot this target at 50 yards with the 4" 22/45 with Vortex Venom in December - being able to see where you are aiming at makes a world of difference.

View attachment 76167

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I paid under $100 for my 4x power scope. There are a lot of entry level scopes that are perfectly acceptable these days, for typical uses.

i’d bet with a little searching and waiting, you could have a nice rifle plus the scope for under $500. Could go bolt action or semi auto.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not saying I see where the rounds are going in at on target but with a red dot once the shot is fired I more often than not know if it was a good shot. With open sights getting a nice sight picture , that is seeing the sights clearly with the target slightly out of focus is something I have great difficulty with - everything is out of focus! Shot this target at 50 yards with the 4" 22/45 with Vortex Venom in December - being able to see where you are aiming at makes a world of difference.

View attachment 76167

I paid under $100 for my 4x power scope. There are a lot of entry level scopes that are perfectly acceptable these days, for typical uses.

i’d bet with a little searching and waiting, you could have a nice rifle plus the scope for under $500. Could go bolt action or semi auto.

700 LTR 223, your target looks like what I'd do at 30', maybe 40' on a good day, depending on the pistol I'm using.

Areoflyer, every thing they say about you on the rimfire thread is true: you are a bad influence. :lmfao:
    It would not surprise me that I would be tempted to buy someone's leftover .22LR with a scope in due time.
    A whole other genre to research. :coffee:
    I'm sure you'll be a wealth of knowledge on lever-action, bolt-action, semi-automatic or whatever.
    In previous decades I had all of them, including single shot, except I didn't have the lever-action until more recently.
    I'm going to bed, got an 8 am meeting (better than 6 am!).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with my remaining .22LR semi-autos after selling three others while on vacation.
    Did some shooting while on a rest and adjusting sights.
    When shooting free hand however: I couldn't believe how far off I was: disturbing! :dunno:
    Used Remington Golden Bullets, HV, HP, except for the SW 41 that uses CCI Standard Velocity, lead round nose.
    I believe the sights are a factor in some guns shooting better than others.
    When I have a front green sight and shooting at a red center: can't see it, I'm guessing.
    I have a red dot that I'll put on one of these (not all have a rail for one), and I think that will be helpful.

20' shooting free hand. Counted number of rounds in the red dot and how many rounds were within 1 inch of red dot.
    The S/W Victory was the weak shooter.
    This was the last target I shot, at only 20' to make myself feel better. :laugh:
    oyUQzWz.jpg

This was the first target where I was adjusting the sights after 3-5 rounds.
    Looks like all will be OK at this point after being dialed in (using a rest, though).
    Buckmark and Mark 4 seemed dialed in properly.
    OIH76dO.jpg

30' free hand. I was shocked on how poorly I did. :scratch:
    Ruger Mark 4 & SW Victory the weak ones here.
    QqJLp3v.jpg

40' free hand. Rounds in the Red Dot, within 1" of red dot, and within 3" of red dot.
    Ruger Mark 4 Target the weak one here.
    tGGydnZ.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'll have to have a shoot out among my Ruger 22 pistols and Smith 41 one of these days - all the pistols have had their shining moments. The only one I have contemplated parting with is my 10" Ruger MKII but I still hang on to it as it would be too expensive to buy again.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to have a shoot out among my Ruger 22 pistols and Smith 41 one of these days - all the pistols have had their shining moments. The only one I have contemplated parting with is my 10" Ruger MKII but I still hang on to it as it would be too expensive to buy again.

10" = WOW!
    I had a 7" SW 22A, bought it just b/c it was a 7" but it did not shoot any better than my other two 5.5."
    I bought a Browning Buckmark Hunter just b/c it was a 7" (I had a 5.5" I bought off a member here but sold it) and I did think it was a little more accurate, but it could have just been me, but I wanted the longer barrel anyway.
    I bought a Ruger Charger with a bipod to play with just b/c of the longer barrel (bought off member here).

I do have an 8" Dan Wesson revolver that I'm proud of (bought off a member here).

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Yeah I bought the 10" 15 years ago when I could see open sights well. I thought I might use it for metallic silhouette but never did. I ought to mount a red dot or 1X scope and see how it compares to the shorter barrel pistols. I do recall firing a scoped benchrest group at 50 yards some years ago that was the best I ever fired with any semi-auto pistol. I'll have to try to find it.

I do have an 8" Dan Wesson revolver that I'm proud of (bought off a member here).

Oh yes , your Dan Wesson is an impressive looking 22! Definitely hang on to that one!

Here is my 10" along with my 5.5".
    View attachment 76264

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I bought the 10" 15 years ago when I could see open sights well. I thought I might use it for metallic silhouette but never did. I ought to mount a red dot or 1X scope and see how it compares to the shorter barrel pistols. I do recall firing a scoped benchrest group at 50 yards some years ago that was the best I ever fired with any semi-auto pistol. I'll have to try to find it.

Oh yes , your Dan Wesson is an impressive looking 22! Definitely hang on to that one!

Here is my 10" along with my 5.5".
    View attachment 76264

Thanks for posting up: both are gorgeous and give me an idea why I should have less quantity and more quality.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried dialing the sights in while shooting on a rest, but when I shot free-handed, it was far off: frustrating.
    I can't believe I'm shooting that far off, but the shots from a rest don't lie.
    I was shooting at 50 feet to get an idea of how far off the sights were and adjust accordingly.

This was at 20' so I wouldn't go home so frustrated.

Browning Buckmark Hunter has consistently been the best shooter.
    Kz63Nn0.jpg

Top Bottom