Range: .22LR to begin elimination of Semi-Autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I tried dialing the sights in while shooting on a rest, but when I shot free-handed, it was far off: frustrating.
    I can't believe I'm shooting that far off, but the shots from a rest don't lie.
    I was shooting at 50 feet to get an idea of how far off the sights were and adjust accordingly.

This was at 20' so I wouldn't go home so frustrated.

Browning Buckmark Hunter has consistently been the best shooter.
    Kz63Nn0.jpg
    When adjusting the sights on a handgun, sometimes I'd benchrest to get them close, but always did my final adjustments from the position that I was likely to shoot. Different holds will produce different impacts on the target. As to accuracy, there is mechanical accuracy and shooter accuracy. I will shoot a less accurate handgun more accurately, if it has a good trigger and sights, although another handgun may shoot better from a machine rest.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When adjusting the sights on a handgun, sometimes I'd benchrest to get them close, but always did my final adjustments from the position that I was likely to shoot. Different holds will produce different impacts on the target. As to accuracy, there is mechanical accuracy and shooter accuracy. I will shoot a less accurate handgun more accurately, if it has a good trigger and sights, although another handgun may shoot better from a machine rest.

I am in the process of learning that, and it's quite the revealing learning curve.
    Since the adjustment of sights seems to be different on a rest for accuracy, than 2-handed, I can only imagine what shooting 1-handed would reveal. :dunno:
    For range pleasure, I can imagine having some pistols tuned using a rest, while others are tuned for 2-handed shooting.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I don't find much POI difference between rested and offhand as long as my rested position is 'wrists on a sandbag'. Holding a pistol down on a rest that supports the butt and barrel may be different and I rarely use that method.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    With handguns even if I am using a scope or red dot I always sight in without a rest. An exception would be something like my TC Contender Super 14 that I have always fired from a rest.

Using open sights I always try to use a target where I can achieve a nice consistent sight picture like a standard black bullseye target or the orange/grey/black targets in your original post. At least for me , I'm 56 , I would have a hard time aiming at a marked X at 20 feet. Then again I need to call in for an a eye appointment soon , real soon!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't find much POI difference between rested and offhand as long as my rested position is 'wrists on a sandbag'. Holding a pistol down on a rest that supports the butt and barrel may be different and I rarely use that method.

I started out resting the barrel on a rest and my hands on another rest weeks ago.
    But after you showing me at the range during my Break how you only rested your hands, I started doing the same.
    It made sense it doesn't matter how accurate the machine is totally independent of the human factor.

By the way, I'm still hacked that I shot your stock CZ Shadow better than mine, after upgrades. :(
    Since I haven't really shot mine that much since the upgrades, when we meet up again this summer, I'll be ready for you and redeem myself. :ar15:
    If not, I'll sell mine and go stock back to a stock Shadow, my excuse to get rid of the hated Urban Gray. :laugh:
    Or, sell it and just use the SP-01 like I had before.
    I mouth off saying that, but I really can't imagine giving up the 47 ounces and that flat trigger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Elimination time.
    30' with remaining 5 semi-autos (not including the Ruger Charger I'm saving)
    Ruger Mark 4 Target will be sold.
    Tough decision since on any given day any of these do about the same.
    Browning keeps coming to the top I've noticed: the Smith 41 better be on its best behavior.
    30QIs5P.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Never used it before but I would not decide on what gun to get rid of by using Armscor 36 grain hi-velocity as the standard. Unless you have shot the pistols with other ammo too. With 22 handguns I usually see better accuracy results with some type of standard velocity.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never used it before but I would not decide on what gun to get rid of by using Armscor 36 grain hi-velocity as the standard. Unless you have shot the pistols with other ammo too. With 22 handguns I usually see better accuracy results with some type of standard velocity.

I responded to this post but I don't see it, must of got sidetracked and thought I sent it but didn't then it got deleted. :dunno:

Good point, and I agree with your comment. I have used 6-8 different ammo brands some HP and some round nose (lead and/or copper coated), with alot of CCI Mini-Mags and Remingtion Golden Bullets with some Winchester, Aguila, Armscor and a few others I happened to have.
    I had a 1911-22 clone that actually was made to use the Armscor and it rain better with it than "better" brands of ammo: go figure.

The Browning Buckmark Hunter 7" barrel (recently acquired replacing the 5.5 barrel) has always been toward the top with the Ruger Mark 4 Target not being there consistently.
    But, in looking at targets at different distances and different ammo, on a rest and free-hand, with me being the weak link, at this point the six I have left are about the same and I would be happy to keep any or all of them, but I'm determined to trim down for retirement.

I actually have some easier work to do trimming some 9mm, since I bought 3 more just recently, and I intend to keep the SW 5906 "classic," but that might wait till summer since I'm on a mission with the .22LRs right now.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    :popcorn:

Looks like you're really getting the hang of your write ups. Interesting read. I was really rooting for the 41, but it looks grim.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Will be interesting to see which 22s finally make the cut! ;)
    :popcorn:
    Looks like you're really getting the hang of your write ups. Interesting read. I was really rooting for the 41, but it looks grim.

I, too, am quite curious about which will be what I hold onto, selling the SW 22A was difficult, and the Mark 4 will be even more so.
    The Smith 41 will be the last to be cut, I imagine, since I love the weight and history of the gun: a classic.
    But, being as I have 3 times more money in it than most of the others, the 41 will have to prove itself, even if I am the weak point. :ugh:
    I find a direct parallel between my most expensive 9mm (Shadow 2 w/upgrades) and the Smith 41 in their context of being the best I have, but not irreplaceable if push comes to shove in retirement.
    My "backup" guns in each category would suffice if necessary, especially if I get involved in Steel shooting and accuracy is not as paramount.
    Usmcookie, thanks for taking notice of my shorter write-ups: it is with much effort. :rofl:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy not the best of shots.
    He threw some 40 S&W off the target.
    21 ft indoors.

I pulled out my Superblackhawk w max'd 180s and let loose.

He laughed and said I missed the target.
    Told him I was shooting his bullet hole off the target.

He called BS.

Shot again and brought target back. Mickey moused it.

Let him shoot it.
    Handed the gun back after 1 round.

Aim small miss small.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My IHMSA field pistol was a 6" Smith 648 (.22 mag).
    I could do 2" offhand at 50 yards with it (5 shots).
    Was a nice rig. Got out of silhouette, no chucks to shoot anymore.
    Sold for double what I paid.
    Of course to replace it I'd have to pay way more than I got LOL

Eyes suck anymore.
    Did scope a 22/45 Great Eight.
    2X Leupold.

Benched at 25 and 50 yards........should went 4X Leupold.
    I did shoot some clays and chunks of clays off the bench at 100.
    Went off hand and used the lower duplex point.
    Still killed plenty, and scared a few to death LOL.

Boring. Sold it to a bud, is his squirrel rig, says it shoots great. Duh.
    It was just so bulky I figured screw it and just use rifle.

Used to squirrel hunt w pistol back in college. Wasn't difficult.
    AMT 10.5" Lightning and Kart Slide on 1911...........both iron sights.
    Shots 50 yards and in. All offhand.

I have almost always shot tree rats offhand, even w rifle.

Wish I had those eyeballs back :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Indoors is tough.
    Lighting, noise.
    Good to develop focus in less than ideal conditions.
    Might find that shooting outdoors yields better results.

Think it worthwhile to fight indoor shooting, get decent at it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO 2" or less indoors, 75 ft offhand is good pistol shootin'.
    Think type of target can be a big influence.
    Might be best to make your own, find out what works best for you.

FWIW I was outdoors a while back and guys had target stands and some steel.
    4 ft groups they shot offhand w 9mm/40 @25 yards.

They had fun, and I guess that's the whole idea.
    Never understood just sending lead down range/making noise.

Everybody has to start somewhere, but some minor changes might help the learning curve.

Experiment and see if something helps.

My eyes suck now..............am thinking a Colt Woodsman w a Burris Fast Fire on the slide.
    Can buy a spare slide and mod it.
    Dunno how good that'd be durability and accuracy. Obviously not gonna D&T the bbl
    Just a hunting rig, maybe plink.

Have had Ruger MK1 and 2's. Like em.
    Woodsman has a diff feel.

Bummer I need an optic now.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I thought I'd try one last time with the Mark 4 before it sold.
    Difficult to make a decision with the Mark 4 beating out the SW Victory sometimes.
    I'll probably end up selling both of them and keeping my Browning Buckmark Hunter.
    All range ammo today was CCI Standard Velocity.

Ruger Mark 4 Target. 12', 20' 30' & 40'. On a rest and free hand.
    NRi5OkS.jpg

S/W Victory: 12', 20' 30' & 40'. On a rest and free hand.
    OVLajd9.jpg

Ruger Mark 4 Target & SW Victory. 30' on a rest and free hand.
    wBUVOX0.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger Mark 4 Target selling this pm.
    So a range trip with the SW Victory, Browning Buckmark Hunter & Colt Target.
    Getting hard to see a consistency in difference.
    I thought the SW Victory would be next but it did well against the Buckmark Hunter that I thought would bury the Victory this evening: NOT!

40' Small differences, but SW Victory beats the Browning Buckmark Hunter.
    J3HwqkU.jpg

30' Browning beat the S/W.
    PwhMXhc.jpg

20' Tough call.
    w5u4id3.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought another S/W Victory since it was set up for NSSF steel Challenge.
    It came with a SightMark 3 MOA red dot, Tandemkross mag disconnect and flat trigger, Talon grips. 5 Mags.
    Sold the other one I had tonight, but not before I was able to do a range trip with both.
    The Red Dot on the "new" one wasn't dialed in till the last target, but it did have some great groups.

30' with the "new" Victory shooting low. I figured out how high to shoot in the middle (3rd) target.
    All rounds using a gun rest.
    KzoxKIy.jpg

50' and the Red Dot was shooting even lower, but again I learned to shoot higher.
    All rounds using a gun rest.
    Ogzv755.jpg

20' on the bottom with both guns.
    40' & 50' with just the "new" Victory.
    I started to play with the adjustment a little.
    VL2Zrj5.jpg

Top Bottom