Range: .22LR to begin elimination of Semi-Autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The Red Dot on the "new" one wasn't dialed in till the last target, but it did have some great groups.

Nice to see you have discovered the world of red dots! Red dots and 1X power scopes have done wonders for my handgun the shooting the past few years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice to see you have discovered the world of red dots! Red dots and 1X power scopes have done wonders for my handgun the shooting the past few years.

I have a red dot on a Ruger Charger I bought months ago from a member that I'm saving for this summer, if I ever trim down my .22LRs & 9mms.
    Then, I have a Bushnell red dot I bought to put on one of my surviving .22LR pistols, perhaps my Smith 41.
    Now, with this one, I have 3 red dots. It is always interesting to see where the journey leads.
    There is so much I don't know, but I enjoy the learning.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The 41 would be a great candidate for red dot installation!

Probably mentioned I have a Charger too. I have a Kidd barrel on it. Have not shot it much since I bought it. Will have to start shooting it again. It has a Burris 2-7X handgun scope on it. Will be interested your range report on the Charger this summer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold the Ruger Charger since I bought a Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher .22LR rifle with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40 scope and didn't need the Charger anymore (both bought off members here).
    Planning to sell a couple more .22LR whenever I get around to listing them: S/W 41 & Colt Target.
    Really difficult to let them go, but hard choices have to be made to trim the safe.

S/W 41 at 20' on a rest using CCI SV (1070 FPS) with lead round nose.
    I love the weight of this pistol.
    tUQuCQV.jpg

Colt Target at 20' on a rest using CCI SV (1070 FPS) with lead round nose.
    Always liked this pistol, and since it was a Colt, I had to try it out.
    9dIqWRX.jpg

Browning Buckmark Hunter (not a Target as marked) at 20' on a rest using CCI SV (1070 FPS) with lead round nose.
    I have always just loved this gun with its 7.25" barrel.
    It shoots better than about anything else I have.
    5wWdvd7.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some quick range time using a rest at 40' & 30'.
    Using the S/W Victory with a red dot, Browning Buckmark Hunter and my latest and greatest:
    Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel, some springs, and flat trigger.
    I'll put a red dot on the Mark 3, or a used Nikon pistol scope I bought.

NPHBMS9.jpg
    53VmBka.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'll put a red dot on the Mark 3, or a used Nikon pistol scope I bought.

With a scope and rest that should turn in some really impressive groups.

I had a 22 pistol vs. 22 pistol "battle" myself yesterday with my Ruger MKII 5.5" against my MKII series 22/45 4" which ended in a tie! The MKII has a Burris 1X and the 22/45 a Vortex Venom.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With a scope and rest that should turn in some really impressive groups.

I had a 22 pistol vs. 22 pistol "battle" myself yesterday with my Ruger MKII 5.5" against my MKII series 22/45 4" which ended in a tie! The MKII has a Burris 1X and the 22/45 a Vortex Venom.

Pics make it so much more fun!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Even at 40' I'm having to use binoculars to see where I'm hitting, but I do want to try 50'...

None (few??) of us can see where we are hitting with a .22 at 50'. All you need to see is your sights and the fuzzy blob of the target.

I you want to see where you are hitting without retrieving the target get a spotting scope.

Bullseye shooters use pistol boxes with a scope mount like these. Many are homemade.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    None (few??) of us can see where we are hitting with a .22 at 50'. All you need to see is your sights and the fuzzy blob of the target.
    I you want to see where you are hitting without retrieving the target get a spotting scope.
    Bullseye shooters use pistol boxes with a scope mount like these. Many are homemade.

I have a small set of binoculars that I keep in my range bag. :dunno:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Pics make it so much more fun!

Ok then!
    A ruger MKII at 50 yards.jpg A 22 45 at 50 yards.jpg
    The MKII was sent to Clark Custom Guns 25 years ago for a trigger job and drilled and tapped for a Ruger scope base. The 22/45 still has the stock trigger although I have a Volquartsen sear and trigger - just have to get up the motivation to attempt installing them. Anyway both targets ended up scoring the same.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok then!
    View attachment 78571 View attachment 78572
    The MKII was sent to Clark Custom Guns 25 years ago for a trigger job and drilled and tapped for a Ruger scope base. The 22/45 still has the stock trigger although I have a Volquartsen sear and trigger - just have to get up the motivation to attempt installing them. Anyway both targets ended up scoring the same.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Recently stumbled on a Beretta 87 Target. Took it to the range for a function check and discovered it shoots a lot better than my eyes can see.:n00b:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Recently stumbled on a Beretta 87 Target. Took it to the range for a function check and discovered it shoots a lot better than my eyes can see.:n00b:

Always wondered about this gun.
    They cost about $920 new and I've never seen them used.
    You should show some targets for our entertainment. :)

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Always wondered about this gun.
    They cost about $920 new and I've never seen them used.
    You should show some targets for our entertainment. :)

Will post some pics soon. Found this on AL for 350 and I jumped on it. Covered with dirt/dust, has a couple of dings and only one mag, but cleaned up good and shoots like a Beretta.:cool:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Will post some pics soon. Found this on AL for 350 and I jumped on it. Covered with dirt/dust, has a couple of dings and only one mag, but cleaned up good and shoots like a Beretta.:cool:

Will look forward to it.
    You stole it!
    I had this and enjoyed it, but it wasn't as accurate as some others I had:
    xaGtynf.jpg

$400 new; $300ish used.
    Beretta's M9-22 is an exact replica of the M9 in .22 caliber and features the same operation, controls and takedown as the venerable Beretta M9. M9-22 features removable sights, interchangeable grip panels. Beretta's Bruniton finish with military-style markings is highly resistant to sweat and corrosion, and a tool-free disassembly latch makes it simple and quick to take the pistol apart for cleaning. This semi-auto pistol has a reversible magazine release and an ambidextrous safety/decocker making it suitable for right- or left-handed shooters. This model has a 5.3" barrel and comes with a 15-round magazine.

Type Pistol
    Grips Black Rubber
    Action Single/Double
    Safety Ambidextrous
    Series 22LR
    Weight 26.08 oz
    Caliber 22 long rifle lr
    Capacity 15+1
    Weight Range 16.00 oz to 31.99 oz
    Barrel Length 5.3"
    Frame Material Aluminum
    Slide Description Black Bruniton
    Barrel Length Range 5.00" to 5.99"
    Sight Configuration Dovetail

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Doddg, have you come up with a final list of 22's you are keeping? I saw in another thread you are going to sell the 41. That surprised me. I thought it would be one of the keepers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg, have you come up with a final list of 22's you are keeping? I saw in another thread you are going to sell the 41. That surprised me. I thought it would be one of the keepers.

Me too!
    But, I bought a Ruger Mark 3 from a member here with a Volquartsen barrel and some trigger and spring work done that was very accurate and decided to keep it instead.

I have the Colt Target up for sale. If the Smith 41 is slow to sell,
    that won’t bother me at all because I do love it.
    In my perfect world,
    I would be able to keep both of them.

I love my 7.25 inch barrel Browning Buckmark Hunter, but I don’t know if it will survive in the long run.
    Also, the Smith Victory that I bought that had been used for matches would be another one I would love to hold onto.

Fortunately, my finances going into retirement are good enough that I don’t have to be in a hurry to “liquidate.“

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range pics of 5 different .22LR.
    I need to trim one or two of the semi-autos (the Ruger LCR .22LR snub nose is just a novelty).
    The S/W Victory beats everything else so far, but I thought it might be the next one eliminated.
    It has a red dot, though, so that is giving it the edge.
    Used same ammo: CCI Standard Velocity, 40 grain, 1070 FPS, solid lead round nose.
    I was constantly adjusting the sights on each that needed it.
    Everything was done on a rest with the semi-autos, but the revolver was 2-hand.

40 feet: SW Victory w/red dot is 1st (10 rds.) with the S/W 41 (2 rds.) last, in the red. :dunno:
    1McAwOY.jpg

20' rounds added to the above pic using the numbers below each target.
    gHwgV05.jpg

30' with the Victory with a red dot having the tightest groups. S/W 41 improves (adjusted sights more).
    SUJ0Y6x.jpg

20' Ruger LCR .22LR D/A only added 4 times to the above 30' pic.
    Barrel only 1.875 on the snub nose.
    D3UdJck.jpg

Top Bottom