• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    @churchmouse I appreciate that and the popcorn pic is funny so it's all good lol, the vid I saw was hickok45 he took a AR apart for cleaning looked so easy but he just sprayed the insides with some lube/cleaner stuff, but I need to learn what's normal wear and not something not working right,

Some members do not understand the meaning of the :popcorn: emoty so just keep it real.

The AR platform is seriously easy to pull down and clean. Get a proper kit and cleaning materials. Easy peasy.
    Not remembering what pistol you now have so I can give no advice here. Again, if you are in earnest there are members that will help you with this.
    1st last and always, safety.

Training. Get some training. Take the time and just do it. You will be ahead of the curve.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I just want to know if he had an ammo boy to keep him supplied.

I have always wanted an ammo boy to follow me around. Shooting needs to be more civilized.

Did you have a special stand to hold your beer mug like at a German Sheutzenfest? Everybody has to admit that is civilized shooting.....

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your XD will run flawlessly with even minimal cleaning. (i.e. hundreds, if not thousands of rounds, between cleaning)

The AR will mostly like jam up with even a speck of dust. :stickpoke:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just checking in, to say I was here! To the OP, a single range trip to an indoor range isn't likely to wear on anything but the factory lube?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    There's no shame at all in asking the shop to inspect & clean them if you aren't sure yourself. It's much better than tackling something yourself and missing or breaking something. Way back 25 years ago I bought my first 1911, one of the Argentine Colts. I remember wanting to change some things on it, extended safety, nicer grip safety, flat mainspring housing. So I did what everyone did that didn't know any better. I bought the parts and took it apart. Youtube wasn't a thing back then, I had the odd magazine article or advertisement for reference. I was 23 at the time and had no idea where or how to find a gunsmith, no close friends that were shooters to ask for help. Long story short (I'm sure the 1911 guys know where this is going) I ended up with a puzzle of a gun that wouldn't work for weeks at a time until I was able to find a shop that said they could fix it. I took them a shoebox full of loose parts. I don't think I left 2 parts attached to each other. I wanted to know how everything worked. After all, I was able to completely strip my Glock, how hard could an older design be?
    :dunno: :lmfao:

Point is, you don't know what you don't know. In cases like that it's best to let someone that does know help out or teach you. That experiment cost me some serious bucks to learn a lesson. I still want to know how everything works and like to be able to detail strip everything I own. I've learned to have patience and seek out the knowledge to do the job properly. I've never owned a CZ-75, that will change this year. I also know from reading on here not to tear it apart as soon as I get it unless I want another box of parts. The CZ wizards will be getting PM's and offers of free beer & pizzas for some hands on lessons.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    @jd4320t yes I requested, I'm not familiar with what is normal looking after shooting normal wear so I wanted a pro to look at it and let me know if it's all good, and I don't have a cleaning kit yet, so after that I will do it myself,

I wondered if they were taking advantage. Odds are they are perfectly fine and still not even broken in. Don't let them take you for any money.

You definitely need to learn to do it yourself. Make sure they're​ unloaded and use YouTube.

Also, I'd look for help and training. It sounds like you may not know what to do in case of a malfunction since you aren't comfortable inspecting and cleaning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's no shame at all in asking the shop to inspect & clean them if you aren't sure yourself. It's much better than tackling something yourself and missing or breaking something. Way back 25 years ago I bought my first 1911, one of the Argentine Colts. I remember wanting to change some things on it, extended safety, nicer grip safety, flat mainspring housing. So I did what everyone did that didn't know any better. I bought the parts and took it apart. Youtube wasn't a thing back then, I had the odd magazine article or advertisement for reference. I was 23 at the time and had no idea where or how to find a gunsmith, no close friends that were shooters to ask for help. Long story short (I'm sure the 1911 guys know where this is going) I ended up with a puzzle of a gun that wouldn't work for weeks at a time until I was able to find a shop that said they could fix it. I took them a shoebox full of loose parts. I don't think I left 2 parts attached to each other. I wanted to know how everything worked. After all, I was able to completely strip my Glock, how hard could an older design be?
    :dunno: :lmfao:

Point is, you don't know what you don't know. In cases like that it's best to let someone that does know help out or teach you. That experiment cost me some serious bucks to learn a lesson. I still want to know how everything works and like to be able to detail strip everything I own. I've learned to have patience and seek out the knowledge to do the job properly. I've never owned a CZ-75, that will change this year. I also know from reading on here not to tear it apart as soon as I get it unless I want another box of parts. The CZ wizards will be getting PM's and offers of free beer & pizzas for some hands on lessons.

And that is the beauty of Ingo. Knowledge. Sharing. Friendship. Networking.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My normal proceedure is clean when new (your AR for example), and I'd clean the pistol just cause it had sat for so long. Look at things, degrease, put in your own lube of choice, then shoot till they won't work. Don't fix what ain't broke

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @jd4320t I have done some dry fire lessons with dummy rounds with my trainer to clear a jam, rack the slide and slap the bottom of the magazine, but nothing live fire. But I know I need to get back into training. Now that I have a handgun and rifle it will be more fun.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @m67 well for sitting as long as my handgun did it rocked I forgot how much of a kick the 45 is. But it performed like a champ, I had the biggest smile after shooting it lol.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I certainly wouldn't fault you for being cautions. Glad you had a great time. I would recommend however that you do learn to disassemble your own firearms and clean/inspect them. If you don't see any broken parts, cracks or metal particles when cleaning (except normal brass from the cartridges), I would not worry about having a gunsmith inspect the firearms. However knowing how the firearm is taken down and how it functions can help you clear jams or other issues more safely, as well as letting you start shooting again.

Son and I collect firearms and we do disassemble and clean our firearms after every session but we have enough that often we have not shot them for a year or so (except our EDC's of course). That habit has gotten me in trouble a couple times, spent hours reassembling a Winchester .308 lever action after complete disassembly and polishing of the parts. (had to make a temporary assembly pin to finally get it back together). As has been stated, don't let the "armchair shooters" discourage you, those with the disparaging comments probably can't disassemble a firearm nor hit a target and just want to fell "Better" than someone else.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    There are plenty of members on here that would have helped you take them apart and clean them. I can't imagine anything at all wrong with brand new guns. I do hope the employees at Point Blank are honest, really they should have offered to teach you.
    Anyway, I do in fact get plenty of trigger time in (don't even own an armchair), just about every other weekend. I went last weekend and fired my Arsenal AK, Long range Remington 700 and Sig P220. And helped a guy "fix" his M1 Garand. He was what I call "dry firing" it, I see this more often than not. Guys that do not have their weapons properly lubed. I keep a cleaning tool box with me in my car. I have owned my share of Garands and M1A's, so I had some grease and oil with me. Took his rifle apart, greased the area's that require grease and oiled the others, and what do you know, it started to cycle.

attachment.php

Remington 700 .308

Shot these at 200 yards filled with water

attachment.php

attachment.php

Using these

attachment.php

Last edited:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @223gunner damn that is a beautiful rifle, I'm trying to decide what upper I want next 300blk out or 308. I'm thinking of a long range gun. If I ever get a chance I'll ask my trainer for help on maintaining my rifle and handgun he has a AR also. im looking forward to being able to shoot the hell out of my guns and being able to maintain them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    @223gunner damn that is a beautiful rifle, I'm trying to decide what upper I want next 300blk out or 308. I'm thinking of a long range gun. If I ever get a chance I'll ask my trainer for help on maintaining my rifle and handgun he has a AR also. im looking forward to being able to shoot the hell out of my guns and being able to maintain them.

Well, keep in mind that while 300 blk is good to go with your lower, the 308 won't be. It uses a different lower (either AR-10 or DPMS pattern). The AR-10 (Armalite) uses different mags than the DPMS pattern also.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @doggydaddy Really? That is interesting, well I'm just happy with my 223 for now but the sickness has started I want another AR. Like I said I'd like my next rifle to be long range. Atleast I will have time to get my aiming good from my target picture I really suck

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    @doggydaddy Really? That is interesting, well I'm just happy with my 223 for now but the sickness has started I want another AR. Like I said I'd like my next rifle to be long range. Atleast I will have time to get my aiming good from my target picture I really suck

How far away were you shooting? Indoor or outdoor? Handheld or bench rest? What ammo? What optics? All of these have an impact on your shot placement and grouping.

Dan

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Get a solid handle on the AR you have before you step out in range. Trigger time and training.

Trigger discipline from the looks of your targets. Finding the grip that works for you.

Top Bottom