• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My 5x8 got a tattered edge from Monday's blast that rolled through, I promptly had my wife fix the lower red stripe that had separated 4 inches.:patriot:

Got home Friday evening after work around 8:30pm and was saddened to see Ol' Glory had taken a real severe beating.:( Called the wife to ask her to come out and get my supper from Hardee's out of the SUV and bring the backup 3x5.

Folded her up properly on on the hood then hoisted up the 3x5 and took it's tattered compatriot into the house and laid it on the table to be taken with me to work on Tuesday where I will drop it off at the Sheridan American Legion for proper disposal.:flamethrower:

I did order 2 new 5x8's and a Support your Troops flag that looks like this:
    yhst-45748600749679_2153_179626766

I usually fly the Indiana State flag under Ol' Glory being a Indiana resident, but for most because it's designer is from my home town of Mooresville.

IHB: Indiana State Banner

I do know one thing, a 3x5 sure looks small flying on a 30 foot tall pole.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    THere are a plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't know and therefore wouldn't know to ask.

I think the biggest reason is the gradual dumbing down of people over the last few decades. The flag has been treated like a piece of cheap cloth every time some asshat decides the deface it, burn it in protest, or just generally try to make an outrageous statement that supports some weird frame of reference they support. They're the first ones to scream First Amendment rights too. And, they've probably done the least in defense of the country or take pride in it.

So yeah, there's probably a bunch of people who don't know what to do. For those that don't know, a friendly reminder on how to treat/honor the flag is in order as an attempt to correct the persons ignorance. However, getting butt hurt because someone tries to point it out is like getting mad over someone telling you you're ignorant of a fact. That doesn't imply a person is moron, it just says they didn't know something.

Luck has nothing to do with it. I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt once on some aspects of this subject due to this not really being taught in a lot of areas that were common growing up in the last few decades.

With that being said, if the person continues to treat the flag poorly and not with the respect it deserves then they're just being an ass.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Many flags come with a little flyer about flag etiquette. Some, not all. My flags fly 24/7/365, and in our little town, I maintain the flag flown by our bank.

If a "patriotic, USA-loving American" wants to fly the flag for those reasons, they will find out how to properly display it. If someone flies our flag "just because" then they likely have no motivation to find out about flying it properly.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Many flags come with a little flyer about flag etiquette. Some, not all. My flags fly 24/7/365, and in our little town, I maintain the flag flown by our bank.

If a "patriotic, USA-loving American" wants to fly the flag for those reasons, they will find out how to properly display it. If someone flies our flag "just because" then they likely have no motivation to find out about flying it properly.

Not to mention you can find this information online. My Iraq-flown flag didn't come with any display instructions. I thought I knew which way to hang it but wanted to make sure I got it right. One quick search, got it, I was right, got it up in my dining room....I can look up from my computer any time and see it right in front of me :patriot:

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Folded her up properly on on the hood then hoisted up the 3x5 and took it's tattered compatriot into the house and laid it on the table to be taken with me to work on Tuesday where I will drop it off at the Sheridan American Legion for proper disposal.:flamethrower:

QUOTE]

You live in Plainfield but drop it off in my home town?? :dunno: Many flags have been properly disposed off by the Sheridan American Legion! :rockwoot:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

You live in Plainfield but drop it off in my home town?? :dunno: Many flags have been properly disposed off by the Sheridan American Legion! :rockwoot:

I've been delivering Miller Lite/Coors Light to the good people there for 6 years. Not only do a lot of people know me there, I've had the privilege to get to interact with a lot of them.

Although there is an American Legion post in my home town of Mooresville 3 miles to the south and one here in Plainfield, I feel it will be in great hands till the ceremony with the people I get to see on a weekly basis.

As a side note to everyone, on the day that they showed up to put in my pole, the owner of the company asked my if I planned on flying it at night and to keep it properly lit. He no more than got that sentence out of his mouth when the electrical contractor that my wife used to work for showed up to install a 20 amp 8x12 behemoth of a combination spot/flood light to light the flag up. He goes on to say, "Looks like ya got that light part covered" as he chuckled.

IMG_1776.jpg

The light sits 6.5 feet south of the pole, you can see it to the right of the pole and not only lights the flag up brilliantly, it also lights up the entire front of the house for extra security.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Our local Moose club had a faded and vey tattered flag flying. Instead of calling them, I called the local American legion post and asked them to place the call. The very next day there was a brand new US flag flying in front of the Moose lodge.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    FLAG UPDATE!!!

Well after getting delivery of the new flags Thursday afternoon and getting off too late both Thursday and Friday, I sauntered out to the pole with two new flags in tow.

Set up a TV tray to lay the flags on and a put a weight on them to keep from being blow off by a decent stiff breeze at times.

Pulled down the back up 3x5 and hoisted up a new Tough Tex 5x8 Stars and Strips and a We Support our Troops flag on the main pole to fly beside my secondary 16 foot pole that I alternate Colts, IU and Pacer flags on that is also used as my Tailgating pole at IU home football games.

Here's the new flags with a decent wind that co-operated in the picture taking.

P1010014.jpg

Man I NEVER get tired of looking at that beautiful flag and at the same time I always get a little choked up thinking off all the brave soldiers and civilians who have defended the soil it flies on and the people it represents.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It warms my heart to see so many who have such honor and respect for the symbol of our Nation! There have been many times when I felt like I was one of the very few who cared any more.
    To me, Respect for our Flag translates into respect for the sacrifices of all those who have gone before us to build and defend our Homeland and to those who are presently in harms way in service to our Country. My flag waves proudly as an outward display of thanks to them and what they have done.
    In my years of military service, I've taken part in many flag ceremonies both at home and abroad. To see Old Glory being attached to that halyard and raised to meet to day never ceases to fill me with pride. :patriot:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If you find a business that has a flag in need of replacement, many scout troops welcome the chance to have a flag ceremony, and will properly dispose of the tattered flag.

Good call, Don. Not only does the Flag get treated properly, it helps the instill honor and respect to the new generation. :rockwoot:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know it's a :poop:y cell phone pic, but here's a night time shot of the flag pole lite up from a 230 watt 10 amp halite bulb.

2011-05-09_22-29-38_584.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Do you use a dusk to dawn switch? Is that something I can get at Lowes? I'm trying to find the best way to light my new pole, and not sure if I should put the light in the yard, or under the gutter attached to the house.

I've been delivering Miller Lite/Coors Light to the good people there for 6 years. Not only do a lot of people know me there, I've had the privilege to get to interact with a lot of them.

Although there is an American Legion post in my home town of Mooresville 3 miles to the south and one here in Plainfield, I feel it will be in great hands till the ceremony with the people I get to see on a weekly basis.

As a side note to everyone, on the day that they showed up to put in my pole, the owner of the company asked my if I planned on flying it at night and to keep it properly lit. He no more than got that sentence out of his mouth when the electrical contractor that my wife used to work for showed up to install a 20 amp 8x12 behemoth of a combination spot/flood light to light the flag up. He goes on to say, "Looks like ya got that light part covered" as he chuckled.

IMG_1776.jpg

The light sits 6.5 feet south of the pole, you can see it to the right of the pole and not only lights the flag up brilliantly, it also lights up the entire front of the house for extra security.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Once I get my new former lightpole turned flagpole erected the first order of business is proper lighting and then a REAL Made In The USA Flag. Some of the people I see around with tattered flags sometimes makes me want to stop and hoist their tattered ass up the pole and see how they like it!!!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Once I get my new former lightpole turned flagpole erected the first order of business is proper lighting and then a REAL Made In The USA Flag. Some of the people I see around with tattered flags sometimes makes me want to stop and hoist their tattered ass up the pole and see how they like it!!!

I'd been telling people that I've been working for 4 years to get my new former light pole turned flagpole erected. I'm ashamed to say that apparently it's been 8 freakin' years!:n00b: Well we finally got the pedestal set up a few months ago and the wife and I went out and set the post a couple of weeks ago. In spite of the fact I hadn't yet installed the lighting I was really Jonesin' to hoist the colors so I flew it for 3 days without lights. That has now been corrected!:rockwoot:

BORzxX1

BORzxX1

BORzxX1.jpg

Sorry it took so long dad.:patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd been telling people that I've been working for 4 years to get my new former light pole turned flagpole erected. I'm ashamed to say that apparently it's been 8 freakin' years!:n00b: Well we finally got the pedestal set up a few months ago and the wife and I went out and set the post a couple of weeks ago. In spite of the fact I hadn't yet installed the lighting I was really Jonesin' to hoist the colors so I flew it for 3 days without lights. That has now been corrected!:rockwoot:

BORzxX1

BORzxX1

BORzxX1.jpg

Sorry it took so long dad.:patriot:

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Top Bottom