Recommendations for budget 22lr bolt action.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I hadn't thought about looking into some of the older models used. I have a lot more of research to do now.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    Get a new Savage Mk II SR under $200. Very accurate as it used to be Savage Anschutz & the stick mags will interchange with a bit of dremel work. Bought a used one in a Boyds stock scoped for$275 & 1st time out my range here on the farm was only 85 yards but shot 10 5 shot groups all well under 1/2" with the last being .189" Now the range is 300 yard shooting golf balls on screw long eyes on paracord aroung a pipe, boy do the swing. I've put about 80k rds & it still shoots great but bought a Savage B 22 Precision in a chassis for under $500 as I'm pushing out to 400 then 500 yards. Got into it to practice ELR with my 338s & got hooked. This short you tube will amaze you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLtKq9NSji8&ab_channel=DocTacDad

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Get a new Savage Mk II SR under $200. Very accurate as it used to be Savage Anschutz & the stick mags will interchange with a bit of dremel work. Bought a used one in a Boyds stock scoped for$275 & 1st time out my range here on the farm was only 85 yards but shot 10 5 shot groups all well under 1/2" with the last being .189" Now the range is 300 yard shooting golf balls on screw long eyes on paracord aroung a pipe, boy do the swing. I've put about 80k rds & it still shoots great but bought a Savage B 22 Precision in a chassis for under $500 as I'm pushing out to 400 then 500 yards. Got into it to practice ELR with my 338s & got hooked. This short you tube will amaze you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLtKq9NSji8&ab_channel=DocTacDad

Not exactly. Savage was the importer for Anschutz for several years. The two companies were not related in any other way. Savage didn't make Anschutz, and Anschutz didn't make Savage. A rifle marked Savage Anschutz is simply one of the Anschutz rifles imported by Savage.
    During the same time frame Anschutz imported Savage rifles into Europe, and those are marked Anschutz Savage.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    Where did I say they were the same company? I didn't but many Savage Anschutz are 54 or 64 actions & do you deny the mags will interchange on the old & will with a tiny bit of work on the new? If you want to shoot golf balls at 300 yards I'm up near I-94 in Michigan.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Where did I say they were the same company? I didn't but many Savage Anschutz are 54 or 64 actions & do you deny the mags will interchange on the old & will with a tiny bit of work on the new? If you want to shoot golf balls at 300 yards I'm up near I-94 in Michigan.

Well you did say they used to be Savage Anschutz. All those are is Anschutz rifles imported by Savage. And since they're Anschutz rifles it would stand to reason they would be Anschutz model 54 and 64. Also the Savage MK II IS NOT in anyway a Anschutz rifle having been made completely in the U.S. And FYI, any relationship between Anschutz and Savage ended in the early 1980's. As far as whether or not the mags will interchange, I don't know whether or not that is possible. Might very well be one company copied the other's mag design, might also be coincidence. Considering I'm about as far from you as possible and still be in the same state, I'll have to politely decline your invitation.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    The mark ll magazines will not work in an Anschutz sporter without a lot of cutting. It can be done with a dremel. I did a few several years ago and have not had the first problem with three out of four. The fourth was the reason I use a dremel sparingly.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    So will one of you experts please tell me what I said that wasn't 100% true? I never said they were owned by the same company & J D verified the mags would interchange. I never said a Savage MkLL was an Anschutz. Maybe John the pling shoud try being John the thinker before reading things into what I said & stop adding things I didn't say. Maybe read s l o w e r. Most Savage rimfires except the Bmag & the over/under rimfire/shotgun are made at the Lakefield, Ontato Canada plant & have been even when I had a shop 35 years ago. See John now you can be a know it all & be correct this time, Good for you! Winchester Wildcat rifles were made in the USSR but that doesn't mean Winchester was a company in the USSR does it? There are Savages, Anschutz & Savage Anschutz which is what a couple of mine say. I say Anschutz has sat on their reputation & gotten passed by many other companies and are over priced. Here's a great rifle for the $$ with a 1 MOA guarantee https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/model-722/ I bought the Thumbhole Varmint for just under $300. It's on the bottom of the page. Now show me where the Mighty Anschutz guarantees that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWPi_71Q9M&ab_channel=NRApubs Everything is made in the U.S.A. & they make barrels, stocks & other parts for other brands. Here's a short factory tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur48kgoBjm0&ab_channel=vavulaka Enjoy!

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The Savage MKII FV is a great budget rifle. They can be had in most cases for under 250 bucks. I reviewed mine for my channel about 5 years ago and its still going strong. I have noticed after I got more of a round count through the rifle it started to tighten up the groups a fair amount. The only downside to this model is the lack of threaded barrel. you could also go with the FV-SR model which would be threaded if you decided to suppress it. I have a review on it also if you search the channel. I need to do an update on the FV model but if you'd like to watch the original review ill post the link...

[video=youtube;M5P9uknZFcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5P9uknZFcg&list=PLezKJ8l7dXJsR51npAoboq89 fx6Rpq4wL&index=3[/video]

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    The Savage MKII FV is a great budget rifle. They can be had in most cases for under 250 bucks. I reviewed mine for my channel about 5 years ago and its still going strong. I have noticed after I got more of a round count through the rifle it started to tighten up the groups a fair amount. The only downside to this model is the lack of threaded barrel. you could also go with the FV-SR model which would be threaded if you decided to suppress it. I have a review on it also if you search the channel. I need to do an update on the FV model but if you'd like to watch the original review ill post the link...

Thanks for the video link. I subscribed to your channel and am going to check out more of your videos. It sounds like the Mark II might be what I'm looking for. The American sounds good also, but I think the Mark II will work fine for my needs and is about $100 cheaper everywhere I've looked.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for the video link. I subscribed to your channel and am going to check out more of your videos. It sounds like the Mark II might be what I'm looking for. The American sounds good also, but I think the Mark II will work fine for my needs and is about $100 cheaper everywhere I've looked.

Thanks I appreciate the sub. Yeah you will be happy with the MK II, they are shooters.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    One other thing, I already have a cheap scope to put on it. I figure that will be OK since in the video you said the scope you were using sucks. LOL.

Yea give it a shot a see what happens. If it works for you it will save a few bucks from having to buy one. If not you can always get something else, I got a better one on mine now but I had that cheapo on there for probably 2 years lol.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

So will one of you experts please tell me what I said that wasn't 100% true? I never said they were owned by the same company & J D verified the mags would interchange. I never said a Savage MkLL was an Anschutz. Maybe John the pling shoud try being John the thinker before reading things into what I said & stop adding things I didn't say. Maybe read s l o w e r. Most Savage rimfires except the Bmag & the over/under rimfire/shotgun are made at the Lakefield, Ontato Canada plant & have been even when I had a shop 35 years ago. See John now you can be a know it all & be correct this time, Good for you! Winchester Wildcat rifles were made in the USSR but that doesn't mean Winchester was a company in the USSR does it? There are Savages, Anschutz & Savage Anschutz which is what a couple of mine say. I say Anschutz has sat on their reputation & gotten passed by many other companies and are over priced. Here's a great rifle for the $$ with a 1 MOA guarantee https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/model-722/ I bought the Thumbhole Varmint for just under $300. It's on the bottom of the page. Now show me where the Mighty Anschutz guarantees that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWPi_71Q9M&ab_channel=NRApubs Everything is made in the U.S.A. & they make barrels, stocks & other parts for other brands. Here's a short factory tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur48kgoBjm0&ab_channel=vavulaka Enjoy!

There, I highlighted it where you insinuated that it was the same company. If that was not your intent, then I guess I misunderstood you. Yes, it was verified that the mags will interchange, but you seem to imply that is relatively minor but J D indicates it is a bit more involved. Maybe instead of jumping on people, you should make yourself a little more clear, not everybody is a mind reader. And again, maybe you should read slower also. All I said was the reason your rifles say Savage Anschutz is because they were imported by Savage, and that there was no special relationship between the companies. A lot of people have the mistaken belief that those are rifles special made by Anschutz for Savage but that is not true. It is simply an import mark, like that is found on every other gun imported into this country. Period. End of statement.
    I will agree with you 100% that Anschutz is not what they used to be, and yeah, they are way over priced, always have been. Big reason I've never been a fan, even back when Anschutz was the shiznit, there were alternatives that were much more friendly to the bank account.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    I never insinuated anything. I've owned them & that's what they say Savage Anschutz right on the reciever & barrel. Many guns are marked Century or ATI (fill in the blank) because Century inported them so are they made by Century? NO & YOU MY FRIEND are the one who INSINUATED something not typed or intended to mean what you thought. SO YOU'RE WRONG! Man up & admit it as we're all wrong sometimes. Only a spoiled know it all woulld keep this going so just admit you made a slight error in reading comprehension, no problem.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom