Recommendations for budget 22lr bolt action.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I never insinuated anything. I've owned them & that's what they say Savage Anschutz right on the reciever & barrel. Many guns are marked Century or ATI (fill in the blank) because Century inported them so are they made by Century? NO & YOU MY FRIEND are the one who INSINUATED something not typed or intended to mean what you thought. SO YOU'RE WRONG! Man up & admit it as we're all wrong sometimes. Only a spoiled know it all woulld keep this going so just admit you made a slight error in reading comprehension, no problem.

Oh really. I don't care what they say, I know what they say. I didn't insinuate anything, I highlighted it in your post and gave you the chance to clarify it. You said, and I quote, "Very accurate as it used to be Savage Anschutz". That was right after you said, and I quote again, "Get a new Savage Mk II SR under $200." I kinda take that as you are insinuating that the Mk II used to be made and imported as a Savage Anschutz. So, tell us, what is the relationship between those two statements? If there is no relationship between the Mk II and a S A, then why was it even included? Yes, you are right, the Century mark on Mosins, Mausers, and God only knows what else is an import mark, the very same as the Savage Anschutz mark, I even said as much in my first reply to you. If I am interpreting you wrong, then please clarify your post. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, I've done it many times here. Spoiled know it all? Puhleaze. I've been called a whole hell of a lot worse. :laugh:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The Marlin model 25 has been good for me . Inexpensive and a tack driver. The model 10 is good too. The Remmy 40x is the best imho but its far from inexpensive.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Ok back on topic. I'd look to the used market. Marlins are top on my list. Remington Target Masters have always shot well, and the long barrel is a plus, try it with sub sonic or low velocity ammo. Older Savage/Steven can be good values. Family had a little Stevens bolt action single shot. All us kids learned to squirrel hunt with it. Remember cosmetic appearance doesn't affect accuracy. Dented stocks can be steamed and brought back to a pleasing condition. Metal can be cleaned with oil and a scotch bright, cold blued, even left with thin finish. The goal is to end up with a reliable, accurate, rifle.The hunt is half the fun.:@ya:<><Duce

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    The Marlin model 25 has been good for me . Inexpensive and a tack driver. The model 10 is good too. The Remmy 40x is the best imho but its far from inexpensive.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track. I'll also take a look at the Marlin models 25 and 10.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Ok back on topic. I'd look to the used market. Marlins are top on my list. Remington Target Masters have always shot well, and the long barrel is a plus, try it with sub sonic or low velocity ammo. Older Savage/Steven can be good values. Family had a little Stevens bolt action single shot. All us kids learned to squirrel hunt with it. Remember cosmetic appearance doesn't affect accuracy. Dented stocks can be steamed and brought back to a pleasing condition. Metal can be cleaned with oil and a scotch bright, cold blued, even left with thin finish. The goal is to end up with a reliable, accurate, rifle.The hunt is half the fun.:@ya:<><Duce

Thanks to you also for getting back to the point. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to start looking in some of the LGS for used rifles. So far I have only looked at new rifles in Bass Pro and Rural King.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Don't forget pawn shops and flea markets. Even gun shows have bargains once and while. The last Marlin 60 I bought was at Tipton for $45. Had to replace the mag tube. :cool: <><Duce

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Remember cosmetic appearance doesn't affect accuracy. Dented stocks can be steamed and brought back to a pleasing condition. Metal can be cleaned with oil and a scotch bright, cold blued, even left with thin finish. The goal is to end up with a reliable, accurate, rifle.The hunt is half the fun.:@ya:<><Duce

Solid advice, youre looking for a shooter not a safe queen. Character always ads to a gun, shows its experience. They are easily fixed normally if any issues in reliability also.

Needed edit- youre not looking for a beat up rock hammer either. If youre going to get a used one always take a spent casing to dry fire them so you dont damage the chamber. Make sure it has reliable operation. Always check the bore, a "gravel road" bore isnt easily fixed and wont fill the accuracy needs.

Last edited:

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    I bought a dozen Stevens sng shot 22lr which Stevens invented to get 1 Walnut Hill model with the long scope that the mounts adjust instead of inside the scope. Walnut Hill is Americas oldest gun club, since1875. After WW! shooting was like golf is now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Rifle_Associ ation
    Creedmoor was anoth old club. Many of the 12 were boys guns, some were mens with the double hook butt plate, all were different & great.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Don't forget pawn shops and flea markets. Even gun shows have bargains once and while. The last Marlin 60 I bought was at Tipton for $45. Had to replace the mag tube. :cool: <><Duce

Solid advice, youre looking for a shooter not a safe queen. Character always ads to a gun, shows its experience. They are easily fixed normally if any issues in reliability also.

Needed edit- youre not looking for a beat up rock hammer either. If youre going to get a used one always take a spent casing to dry fire them so you dont damage the chamber. Make sure it has reliable operation. Always check the bore, a "gravel road" bore isnt easily fixed and wont fill the accuracy needs.

More good advice. That's why I come here with my questions. I didn't even think about pawn shops and flea markets. I currently have a 1975 Glenfield Model 60 that had been setting in a guys closet for the past 25 years. He just gave it to me a few months ago because it was really dirty and the trigger wouldn't reset. I brought it home watched a few YouTube videos, cleaned it up and found out that one of the springs had just come loose. It works great now and is the gun that got me into 22lr.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    More good advice. That's why I come here with my questions. I didn't even think about pawn shops and flea markets. I currently have a 1975 Glenfield Model 60 that had been setting in a guys closet for the past 25 years. He just gave it to me a few months ago because it was really dirty and the trigger wouldn't reset. I brought it home watched a few YouTube videos, cleaned it up and found out that one of the springs had just come loose. It works great now and is the gun that got me into 22lr.

It can be kind of fun to find a "diamond in the rough" like that, if you're into such things. Last year I found a Stevens model 87D (sem-auto) "gill gun" for 100 bucks at my LGS. The metal was in good shape, but the stock had some wear and dings from normal use. I refinished it, and got it looking like a new rifle and gave it to my oldest grandson for Christmas and he was thrilled. :)

Before:
    D3c1aD8.jpg

After:
    ZZQyU5T.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    It can be kind of fun to find a "diamond in the rough" like that, if you're into such things. Last year I found a Stevens model 87D (sem-auto) "gill gun" for 100 bucks at my LGS. The metal was in good shape, but the stock had some wear and dings from normal use. I refinished it, and got it looking like a new rifle and gave it to my oldest grandson for Christmas and he was thrilled. :)

Before:
    D3c1aD8.jpg

After:
    ZZQyU5T.jpg

Looks good. I had 2 but they both had issues far beyond my means since the parts I was looking for at the time could not be located.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Johnthe plinker. No more arguement from me as I don't want to be confused with you my friend. Mark Twain says it best IMHO

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Whatever dude. Tell you what, you put me on your ignore list, and I'll put you on mine, and we'll call it good.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County

That looks really nice. I haven't refinished mine, but it cleaned up pretty nice for a 45 year old rifle. I especially liked the free part. Model 60.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    That looks really nice. I haven't refinished mine, but it cleaned up pretty nice for a 45 year old rifle. I especially liked the free part. View attachment 93376
    That is a very nice Model 60 ... squirrel stock and all.

Take a look at that front sight. It doubles as your magazine (tube) holder and is held on by a single set screw that can work loose. I've had seveal of these rifles over the years and one of the first things I do is put a drop of lock tight on that set screw.

Only other modification you might want to consider is to get a decent scope and scope mount. DIP (and others) make a picatinny scope base that slips onto the grooved receiver than locks in place with set screws. Makes a solid base for a nice Vortex Crossfire II scope and Warne rings. The trouble I have with scopes is that I need to build up the comb to get a proper cheek weld.

If I can find it, I'll post some infomation I have tucked away about a super affordable speed loader for the tube magazine.

Enjoy that rifle.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    That is a very nice Model 60 ... squirrel stock and all.

Take a look at that front sight. It doubles as your magazine (tube) holder and is held on by a single set screw that can work loose. I've had seveal of these rifles over the years and one of the first things I do is put a drop of lock tight on that set screw.

Only other modification you might want to consider is to get a decent scope and scope mount. DIP (and others) make a picatinny scope base that slips onto the grooved receiver than locks in place with set screws. Makes a solid base for a nice Vortex Crossfire II scope and Warne rings. The trouble I have with scopes is that I need to build up the comb to get a proper cheek weld.

If I can find it, I'll post some infomation I have tucked away about a super affordable speed loader for the tube magazine.

Enjoy that rifle.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to check on that set screw tomorrow. It has a few scratches on the stock, but is in pretty good shape otherwise. The guy I got it from bought it from a friend of his that needed cash in the mid 90s, put it in a closet and left it there until he gave it to me a few months ago.

Top Bottom