Recommendations on a .22 LR non-revolver pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    its like .22LR doesn't seem that exciting, but for someone like me who is a pretty garbage shot right now, its an affordable way to work towards getting rounds on target and a smaller grouping after that, so its very exciting to me, because buying decent ammo at 25 cents or more a round for my .40 or 9mm, versus 10 cents or less for a 22 and the gun will basically pay for itself just in ammo savings while training!

I usually start my range sessions with a 22 (usually my Advantage Arms kit on one of my Glock frames, or now my new M&P Compact 22). It gets me into the right frame of mind and thinking about what I am doing, etc without much recoil, etc. Biggest thing for me is to have something as similar to my carry gun as I can get so that I am building muscle memory and don't have to change my mechanics much.

Also, I know you asked about handguns, but if you ever get into ARs, I'd highly recommend an M&P 15-22. Great 22 LR gun for practicing as all the controls are in the right place, etc and mimic the AR.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    WebSnyper, I saw that in my search, that may come down the line, but as it is I'm going to start with getting accurate with a sidearm so i can start carrying, then we'll move on to other things, cause i know rifle ammo isn't cheap either, so getting good with a .22 on a rifle seems more economical as well, but thanks for the tip on that one! doesn't Colt also make a .22 version of their AR platform weapons?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    WebSnyper, I saw that in my search, that may come down the line, but as it is I'm going to start with getting accurate with a sidearm so i can start carrying, then we'll move on to other things, cause i know rifle ammo isn't cheap either, so getting good with a .22 on a rifle seems more economical as well, but thanks for the tip on that one! doesn't Colt also make a .22 version of their AR platform weapons?

Umarex makes (made?) the Colt 22 AR under license. The M&P is a better choice. I found I prefer the Tippmann M4-22 over the M&P, but I’m not a huge fan of polymer and the Tippmann uses an Aluminum upper/lower. The Tippmann weighs/costs more but feels better over all to me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....I have one. Grips have been swapped out for Hogue rubber.

The stock grips are for bulls eye shooters.

Aftermarket grips are cheap.

My only complaint is that Ruger cheaped out on machining and finishing on these, and they are expensive for what you get. I had to do the finishing on that pistol. It had big burrs on the bolt that I had to hand file down. I get it, stainless is gummy and hard to machine.....but on a $500+ 22lr pistol, that stuff should be finished properly. But after putting in a little love on it, it's a VERY nice pistol now. Especially with the VQ trigger I installed. LOVE it, won't ever sell it.

I have been looking at a Mark IV Competition model after hearing all the great things about them. At the risk of hi-jacking this thread (I think this will be good info for the OP as well), I did not get along with the wooden grip with the thumb rest at all. My support hand had nowhere to go, and it was very uncomfortable to shoot with two hands.

Does anyone have one of those models that can comment on that? I am sure there are aftermarket grips, but for me, it seems as if it was designed for a right-handed bullseye shooter that shoots with one hand only.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If I were in the market today, and based on my prior experience, I would not hesitate to look at the Ruger MK IV pistols. I personally would steer clear of the MK III - but only due to the loaded chamber indicator. A guy can still find good examples of Mk I and II in used cases - but they're almost as much $ as a brand new one. And the sizing, finish, and accoutrements available from Ruger on the Mk IV is plentiful.

I have a Mk II 22/45 that I purchased from an INGOer YEARS ago. I've got probably north of $500 "extra" into this pistol in various upgrades. If I bought a new Mk IV - it'd already have a lightweight and threaded aluminum barrel/upper and wouldn't need a Majestic Arms speed-strip kit installed. That's at least a $300 "savings" right there.

I also currently own a S&W .22 Compact. It's a good little gun. Not super accurate - but fun enough. Be sure the model you're looking at is the COMPACT. They also used to make a larger .22 LR about the same size as the standard 9/40 sized pistols. This one, however, was striker fired. The Compacts are hammer fired (via a wholly enclosed hammer) and work better. Mine also wears the thread adapter for use with my suppressor.

A buddy of mine had (or maybe still does?) have a Ruger SR22. It works well enough - with higher-velocity and higher-quality ammo. Feels pretty good in the hand.

In the past, I've also owned no fewer than three different Walther P22 models. Again - all of them ran well enough with high velocity and higher quality ammo. The only issue I had with any of those guns was MY fault when I detail stripped it and couldn't get the ejector to stay in place upon reassembly. Had to pay a local gunsmith to fix that one.

There seems to be a theme: The better the ammo - the better the gun will run (generally)

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Cheapest way I found to improve my shooting was to buy a G-Sight laser for my Browning 1911-380. About $40 from Amazon, there are other brands at the same price point. No ammo used or near the gun, just the laser in the chamber. I 'shoot' this in the basement, mostly at 21'. I have an 8.5" x 11" paper target with a 2" bulls-eye on the wall and my smartphone with the app recording my hits. I was shooting 50 - 100 shots a night on weekdays. After a few weeks I was able to get my real shooting from the same distance to improve from 40% in the black to 70%. It fixed my trigger jerking. I also get to try single hand shooting, weak hand, not using the sights and so on. So far I've 'shot' 4,500 times with the laser for the $40 cost. I now need to get new batteries, the first set of three finally are giving out. I'm now usually getting 80% - 90% in the black with my real shooting. About to start shooting at 30' now.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    WanderingSol07, I think i am definitely going to get one of those! $40 and i can practice with no ammo all the time at home? **** yes! that's genius! they have an android app? and how does it record the shots?

FULL308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    US
    looking at a Ruger SR22, Beretta NEOS, and Walther P22, was wondering others opinions of them or if there are other suggestions to add to the list!?

Thanks in advance!
    I know my sister loves here SR22. That's all I can say since I've never owned an auto pistol 22lr.

Top Bottom