Recommendations on a .22 LR non-revolver pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Without even reading any of the other posts I'm going to repeat what I'm sure most have already told you.

Ruger - Ruger - Ruger
    They really have been building semi-auto 22s for a long time and very successfully. My family has had a few varieties of the MK2 and MK3. I've had friends with some 22/45s and he loves them. Lots of parts available and aftermarket options. Including suppressors and suppressed barrels. Quietest out there and even more so if you get a bolt stop on it.

Mk4 -
    Long awaiting an easier way to break-down the MK3 and now they call it the MK4. I'm waiting for the newness to wear off before I pick one up. In case of any updating that needs to be done.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Yes, I use my Android phone, Samsung Galaxy 7. You can use the G-Sight app, free to download and use the 10 shot portion. But I downloaded the Itarget Pro app that is used with the Itarget laser (identical to the G-Sight laser). Itarget lets me shoot an unlimited amount. I point it at the target of my choice and it records the laser strikes on the paper with 'bullet holes'. If you are using a bulls-eye target with numbered circles it will 'keep score' for you as long as you align and size the 'bulls-eye' to match the paper target.

20180515102.jpg

The above is what it looks like using my paper target. As you can see you can save the target when done shooting to maintain a record. I've shot over 4,800 times since February and just this last week had to change the three batteries in the laser. Be sure to use gun oil on the o-rings before inserting the laser in the chamber, else they will wear out prematurely.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I use my Android phone, Samsung Galaxy 7. You can use the G-Sight app, free to download and use the 10 shot portion. But I downloaded the Itarget Pro app that is used with the Itarget laser (identical to the G-Sight laser). Itarget lets me shoot an unlimited amount. I point it at the target of my choice and it records the laser strikes on the paper with 'bullet holes'. If you are using a bulls-eye target with numbered circles it will 'keep score' for you as long as you align and size the 'bulls-eye' to match the paper target.

View attachment 67327

The above is what it looks like using my paper target. As you can see you can save the target when done shooting to maintain a record. I've shot over 4,800 times since February and just this last week had to change the three batteries in the laser. Be sure to use gun oil on the o-rings before inserting the laser in the chamber, else they will wear out prematurely.

Thank you for the info! Definitely getting one of these!

capthis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Evansville
    Ended up with the M&P in 22!

I'm sure you'll be pleased with that. A buddy of mine who comes and shoots, has shot his a lot! 1,000's of rounds through it. I've shot it too, and it's a decent gun!

If you get the chance shoot a Ruger
    22/45 or MK series
    or a Browning Buckmark. They are quite a bit more accurate, and my Buckmark for instance has also had 1,000's of rounds through it with all kinds of shooters. Great training pistol!

rm34545

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Another one to add to the list

looking at a Ruger SR22, Beretta NEOS, and Walther P22, was wondering others opinions of them or if there are other suggestions to add to the list!?

Thanks in advance!

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the S&W Victory. The gun is easy to upgrade with aftermarket parts (e.g. TandemKross) and is a real shooter. I use mine in Steel Challenge competitions all the time.

If you have smaller hands, the Beretta NEOS is a great gun. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    all these posts and no one's said a ruger mark 4 yet?....oh wait I forgot to type that in purple!

my biggest complaint about the mark 4 is.....WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY MAKE IT SOONER!!!!!....the push button takedown is the easiest takedown I've ever seen on any gun!

I used to dread cleaning my mark's (1 mark 1 and 2 mark 3's) and I waited till they were so dirty that they were jamming like crazy, but since I started shooting bowling pins and steel challenge, I've become an expert at reassembling them, in fact at a steel challenge shoot, I had a problem with my tac sol upper on a mk3, and had to change it back to my "stock" upper, and changed it so quick, the guy next to me said "how the hell did you do that so quick?"

but op, you didn't do bad with the m&p 22 (I have a full size) they're nice guns, but imho, they wont match up to a ruger "mark series" you'd be amazed at how custom you can make a mark 3!, mine has a 2# pull, with a reset that's perfect (thanks volqartsen!)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The VQ triggers are silly nice.

all these posts and no one's said a ruger mark 4 yet?....oh wait I forgot to type that in purple!

my biggest complaint about the mark 4 is.....WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY MAKE IT SOONER!!!!!....the push button takedown is the easiest takedown I've ever seen on any gun!

I used to dread cleaning my mark's (1 mark 1 and 2 mark 3's) and I waited till they were so dirty that they were jamming like crazy, but since I started shooting bowling pins and steel challenge, I've become an expert at reassembling them, in fact at a steel challenge shoot, I had a problem with my tac sol upper on a mk3, and had to change it back to my "stock" upper, and changed it so quick, the guy next to me said "how the hell did you do that so quick?"

but op, you didn't do bad with the m&p 22 (I have a full size) they're nice guns, but imho, they wont match up to a ruger "mark series" you'd be amazed at how custom you can make a mark 3!, mine has a 2# pull, with a reset that's perfect (thanks volqartsen!)

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a Ruger MK4 and a Beretta Neos DLX and would recommend both, but I enjoy the Neos more to be blunt. Especially with the carbine kit and an adjustable trigger for pre/over travel right out the box.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the S&W Victory. The gun is easy to upgrade with aftermarket parts (e.g. TandemKross) and is a real shooter. I use mine in Steel Challenge competitions all the time.

If you have smaller hands, the Beretta NEOS is a great gun. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.

1. I love my Beretta Neos with a 6" barrel.
    2. Doesn't seem like a gun for smaller hands to me, never noticed, plenty of grip for me.
    3. Just shot it an hour ago, and I made up my mind to sell my Bersa Thunder 22LR after shooting both of them (trying to trim down).

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The SIG 1911-22 is made by GSG, and is the same thing as the GSG 1911-22. I have the SIG, and like CameraMonkey said, it is a joy to shoot. It is heavy enough that there is no recoil. I got mine used from someone on INGO, but they are not that expensive brand new. It is a fun little gun to shoot.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Young whippersnappers got it easy.... cursing and crying while trying to reassemble a Ruger M III build character.

Actually, once you remove the mag disconnect it's not so bad. I learned a lot about gun mechanics from Ruger pistols and rifles because the triggers so bad out of the box. And after that, my Target and Lite models are the bee's knees.

If Ruger can make a BX trigger group, why don't they sell the rifle with that trigger group?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Young whippersnappers got it easy.... cursing and crying while trying to reassemble a Ruger M III build character.

Actually, once you remove the mag disconnect it's not so bad. I learned a lot about gun mechanics from Ruger pistols and rifles because the triggers so bad out of the box. And after that, my Target and Lite models are the bee's knees.

If Ruger can make a BX trigger group, why don't they sell the rifle with that trigger group?

I started with a MkIV but quickly discovered I hate the way the saefty digs into the webbing between my thumb and finger. My wife shoots it currently, she doesn’t have an issue with the safety.

Picked up a MkIII 2245 Lite and figured out the disassembly/reassembly pretty quick. It’s a tight fitting gun, but I haven’t had the horror stories others have had. Had I known what I know now when I bought the MkIV, I would have just gone to a MkIII.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The S&W 41 is a great pistol, picked up the one below as a package off Ingo and couldn't be happier. However, it is the least shot .22 I own. Because it's so nice, I tend to toss a Buckmark or M&P22c in the range bag for plinking more often than not.

5.5" & 7" barrels, hard chrome finish by orig. owner.

Top Bottom