Recommended online learning resources for electrical work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I will say that as an electrician, times are good. I have more work than I could possibly get to. Thanks to all those saying that trades are for losers, and that you have to get a college degree to be successfull. OP, sorry I'm not closer, I would be game for some side work. Also, this isn't work for non-pros. Seriously.

^^ I would love to help. But I'm a ways away. It's not a big job but things can go wrong very quickly. Videos and guides wont tell you the minute things that can make or break a job like this.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yep... Gas furnace on 120vac via plug-in outlet on a dual gang box with 1 side as the power switch. That way you don't have to go back and forth to the panel. Turn off, un-plug, plug into genny.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    this is pretty simple.....put in a 2 pole 30 amp breaker with the cord to the gen use 10 gauge wire.....when power goes out start gen shut the main breaker off and turn the 30 amp 2 pole on and then the breaker on the gen.....

you will have power to the whole house.....just don't run any larger 220v appliances....

then when power comes back on shut down in reverse order...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    this is pretty simple.....put in a 2 pole 30 amp breaker with the cord to the gen use 10 gauge wire.....when power goes out start gen shut the main breaker off and turn the 30 amp 2 pole on and then the breaker on the gen.....

you will have power to the whole house.....just don't run any larger 220v appliances....

8,000 ÷ 120 = 66.6 amps.. I would install a 60 amp receptacle next to the breaker panel of near where the generator will sit. Make an extension cord thats at least rated for 60+ amps and put two male plugs on it.
    When power fails turn off the main breaker ( the big one at the top of your breaker panel ) in your service panel and plug in the male male cord to the genney and the new receptacle and start your Genny. You will have power on both sides of your service panel and you have full use of what power your genny produces and you can just turn off the breakers for where you don't want elect to run..

VERY IMPORTANT....
    Just be sure that when your electric is back on you unplug the male male plugs so you don't blow the breakers and or rectifers out of your genny.. when plugs are pulled you can flip the main breaker back on to restore power to your home..

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    8,000 ÷ 120 = 66.6 amps.. I would install a 60 amp receptacle next to the breaker panel of near where the generator will sit. Make an extension cord thats at least rated for 60+ amps and put two male plugs on it.
    When power fails turn off the main breaker ( the big one at the top of your breaker panel ) in your service panel and plug in the male male cord to the genney and the new receptacle and start your Genny. You will have power on both sides of your service panel and you have full use of what power your genny produces and you can just turn off the breakers for where you don't want elect to run..

VERY IMPORTANT....
    Just be sure that when your electric is back on you unplug the male male plugs so you don't blow the breakers and or rectifers out of your genny.. when plugs are pulled you can flip the main breaker back on to restore power to your home..

most of all gens to 10k only have 30amp twist locks and the breaker on the gen is 30 amp...

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I think the OP is wanting a lock out so as to not be able to accidentally backfeed the power grid/linesmen if he screws up the series of flipping switches/breakers.

unless you get a auto switch you will have to flip breakers....all lineman around here always put a ground jumper on....anyway it will only back feed for long enough for the 30 amp breaker to pop...

maybe 1 second...

https://blog.norwall.com/generator-information/portable-generator-manual-transfer-switch-basics/

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Weird, here is a court case about a linesman who got killed doing it your way.

https://www.oshrc.gov/assets/1/6/Pike_Electric,_Inc.,_Docket_No._01-0166.txt

2005????
    The Pikes lineman should have listened to what his boss said in the morning meeting about generators, That lineman is well trained on the hazards of working on service lines and the hazards of generators running. seems equipment he went to work on was hot and he didn't check.
    Again, the only safe value of electricity when working is none and then grounded. If he would have followed his training he would be alive today.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    2005????
    The Pikes lineman should have listened to what his boss said in the morning meeting about generators, That lineman is well trained on the hazards of working on service lines and the hazards of generators running. seems equipment he went to work on was hot and he didn't check.
    Again, the only safe value of electricity when working is none and then grounded. If he would have followed his training he would be alive today.

+1...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is how we do it. I shut off the high draw breakers because woman are not tuned up enough not to use something. If a man says no they absolutely have to test the statement. He could be lying you know. :):

Our goal is light, refrigerators and an operational furnace. If the gas feed is down we can use the blower to circulate the heat from the wood stove.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    what do you mean by lock out?.....a key and lock lock out for disconnects?.....if that is the case you still have to manually do it....

No, it is a back fed breaker and bracket designed and listed for install in your particular panel which prevents the back fed breaker and the main from being able to both be hot at the same time. You still have to manually throw them, it just makes it so you can’t screw up the sequence and toast your generator or backfeed the grid.

If installed according to listing and rating, it is my understanding that these are generally code compliant.

That was what I read the OP to be asking about.

Top Bottom