• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the lowest amount of astigmatism. The point where they don't even treat it. If you have a lot, I would think you might want to wear some corrective lens Oak.

I have noticed that some dots are "starbursted" a little more than others. I'm not bothered by it if the dot is not perfectly round. I haven't seen perfectly round lights of any kind since I had Lasik 20 years ago. And I can't see front blades perfectly either, so I just carry on in my imperfection.:)

Plus, that other thread you keep posting on Oak has my eyes all weird anyways...from staring too long.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how are these red dots for people with astigmatism?

I have astigmatism and find I can see the 6 MOA more as a dot compared to the 3 MOA which appears more star-like while wearing my prescription glasses which are in need of an update. For target shooting I use an apertures device or stick on aperture on my glasses and that helps the dot appear as it should.

Of course for defensive use that is not feasible. I use a Vortex Venom 6 MOA on a Glock 34 MOS and still shoot fairly accurately at 25 and even 50 yards sometimes. All of my other Venoms or Fastfire 3s are 3 MOA.

General consensus is against the vortex bc of auto shut off. What's a good choice?

According to the Vortex Venom instruction booklet the Venow will power down in the auto mode but NOT in the manual mode.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My bullseye guns have 3 to 4 MOA dots. My action guns have larger. I have an 8MOA on my M&P 2.0 Compact, Faxon slide. On one of my steel challenge revolvers, I have an Ultra Dot with multiple recticles; 2, 4, 8, 16 MOA. Most of the time I use the 16 minute dot for steel. I have been using dots on some of my guns for about 22 years. I mostly prefer the tubes because I'm used to them and I am quicker, but I have a few RMR type on some guns.

I think for EDC the larger dot would be better. You will not be shooting someone's eye out at 50 yards, you will be shooting something close and the larger dot would give you quicker target acquisition.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I have the lowest amount of astigmatism. The point where they don't even treat it. If you have a lot, I would think you might want to wear some corrective lens Oak.

I have noticed that some dots are "starbursted" a little more than others. I'm not bothered by it if the dot is not perfectly round. I haven't seen perfectly round lights of any kind since I had Lasik 20 years ago. And I can't see front blades perfectly either, so I just carry on in my imperfection.:)

Plus, that other thread you keep posting on Oak has my eyes all weird anyways...from staring too long.
    Sadly even with corrective lenses red dots don't always play nice. With the red dot I run on an AR, the dot itself starbursts, but if I have the rear sight flipped up it makes it much sharper.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have astigmatism and find I can see the 6 MOA more as a dot compared to the 3 MOA which appears more star-like while wearing my prescription glasses which are in need of an update. For target shooting I use an apertures device or stick on aperture on my glasses and that helps the dot appear as it should.

Of course for defensive use that is not feasible. I use a Vortex Venom 6 MOA on a Glock 34 MOS and still shoot fairly accurately at 25 and even 50 yards sometimes. All of my other Venoms or Fastfire 3s are 3 MOA.

According to the Vortex Venom instruction booklet the Venow will power down in the auto mode but NOT in the manual mode.

I used a Venom for a while and it never powered down but I always ran it manual. Now using a Delta point pro and a Holosun without issue of the dot shutting off.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    To no one in particular.

If you are too cheap to buy a quality RDS, you probably shouldn't consider one as an EDC. (Many reasons for this including durability but a big one for me is battery life.)
    If you are not going to put a substantial amount of practice into creating an index that lets you pick up the dot on the draw and one handed, you probably shouldn't consider one as an EDC.
    If you are someone who thinks the only thing you will ever need your handgun for is 3 yards, 3 shots, in 3 seconds, you probably don't need one as a EDC.

Steve Fisher says you don't need a red dot specific handgun class in his red dot handgun classes. I agree with him to a point, as the fundamentals still apply. Where I don't agree with that premise is that iron sights are much more forgiving of low effort hobbyists as opposed to enthusiasts. Hunting for the dot is very much a thing. Another area that should be explored is low light shooting with a dot gun. My original RMR that is 10 or 11 years old is an auto adjust with a 6.5 dot. It is perfectly round for me so the big size doesn't bother me, the battery will last over 2 years though I replace it once a year, the auto adjust works very well, EXCEPT when in a dark area pointing out into a bright area, OR when using a WML in a dark environment. This is one reason a lot of people don't use the auto adjust but prefer the manual adjust.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That was the first thing that broke on my Leulpold dpp. Doesn't really matter on that since it is my competition optic. I have heard of some issues with that feature on the Holosun but don't know that it is of epidemic proportions.

I'll keep an eye on it, no pun intended. Every once in awhile I'll sneak up to it, peer in it to see that it's off, then see if I can snatch it up quick enough to get in alignment before the dot illuminates. I have not been successful yet.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Shared opinion with gregkl and others on going with a smaller dot and increasing brightest if/when you want to make it appear larger. Most experience with Aimpoints on ARs (20+ years) where I've always used 2 moa, which seems to be the more popular dot size on all Aimpoint Micros, and Aimpoint Comp Mx and similar models. Just now wading into pistol red dots so less experience with that but I think the same will hold true from initial use. Have not hit a level of training yet to move pistol RDS into EDC.

Also have astigmatism making all dots less precisely defined and "starbursty". I'm not a great fan of SIG Romeo rifle optics and don't own one, but I looked through one in a local gunshop and was amazed how precise the reticle looked; discovered online other people also report they look clearer. Have seen reports online of the same thing, clearer with astigmatism, for Holosun pistol red dots (some people suggest the SIG's are made by the same plant) but I have not looked through one myself. Might be worth comparing them in person for anyone else with the same vision issue.

I've initially gone with the ACRO but would compare the Holosun 508T V2 or Holosun 507C V2 to the Trijicon RMR Type 2. Apparently the V2 models will be replaced with X2 models due to Trijicon legal action. I compared ACRO with RMR before positive feedback put the Holosuns on my radar, but selected the ACRO despite it's poor battery life due to enclosed emitter and no removal of sight for battery changes. With my eyes, the ACRO dot is not perfect or crisp like that SIG Romeo but is a little better defined and round appearing than the Comp M series.

TGM123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2020
    Zionsville
    Even the experts don't agree on this. Dot size also varies by quality of dot, brightness, and whether you have astigmatism. I prefer smaller rather than larger but YMMV. I sure wouldnt use a Vortex for EDC.

"I sure wouldnt use a Vortex for EDC"

I am curious - Why is that? Reliabiltiy?

Thank you.

Tom

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    "I sure wouldnt use a Vortex for EDC"

I am curious - Why is that? Reliabiltiy?

Thank you.

Tom

Lack of an auto-on/shake awake feature is why Vortex gets a negative EDC response.

I really don't understand why they haven't offered a line with this feature. I have several Venom and Viper red dots and have been very happy with them but for an EDC; I'd probably go with Trijicon or Holoson.

Sage Dynamics on YouTube has a wealth of red dot info and tests.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Lack of an auto-on/shake awake feature is why Vortex gets a negative EDC response.

I really don't understand why they haven't offered a line with this feature. I have several Venom and Viper red dots and have been very happy with them but for an EDC; I'd probably go with Trijicon or Holoson.

Sage Dynamics on YouTube has a wealth of red dot info and tests.

From the YouTube reviews, the auto shut off is at 14 hrs. That's a full day for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For my middle aged eyes, 6 MOA acquires much faster in bright areas.

Whether it be shooting a match in the bright sunhine or in my white walled house at night using a weapon light, I want my 6 MOA cranked all the way up on brightness.

3 MOA is usable, if speed is not a factor.

I was talking dot size with a USPSA GM a while back that was shooting an 8 MOA dot and considering going to a 12 MOA.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A 6 MOA dot is smaller than a dime at 10 yards. It is only 1 inch at 17 yards.
    I would venture that a 6moa dot is more accurate than most of us can shoot in a 3 second response time (draw, acquire, shoot).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom