• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Online application up to 19 counties now!

I just noticed today... New counties!

If you live in:
    ALLEN
    BARTHOLOMEW
    BOONE
    CASS
    CLARK
    CLINTON
    ELKHART
    FLOYD
    HARRISON
    HENDRICKS
    HOWARD
    JACKSON
    JENNINGS
    MARION
    MIAMI
    PORTER
    SCOTT
    WASHINGTON
    WELLS

county, you may apply online for your LTCH, saving you some paperwork time when you go in for your fingerprints. :rockwoot:

The site is Application for Handgun License.

Blessings,
    Bill

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Your existing license along with your renewal application receipt are good until they either renew you or deny the application.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins one hundred eighty (180) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4.

Okay, so does that mean 30 days AFTER its expiration or only BEFORE?

I only ask because mine expired on 4/22/09.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    If its the only alcohol related offense you can carry. If you have had more than one depends on when the last conviction/treatment was.
    IC 35-47-1-2
    "Alcohol abuser"
    Sec. 2. "Alcohol abuser" means an individual who has had two (2) or more alcohol related offenses, any one (1) of which resulted in conviction by a court or treatment in an alcohol abuse facility within three (3) years prior to the date of the application.

So a minor consumption, and a minor possesion within 3 years is a no go?

Snowdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just applied for my lifetime permit today. Actual application was done online. Then went downtown for ID and payment. Wasn't to bad of a hassle.

Alerion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Bloomington
    Okay, so does that mean 30 days AFTER its expiration or only BEFORE?

I only ask because mine expired on 4/22/09.

That means after. It's a grace period for renewal. However, your permit is not good during the period between when it expired and when the renewal is filed. So if you get caught carrying on an expired permit, renewing it the next day doesn't make it all better. (Unless the judge is having a really good day.) :rockwoot:

Even more important is that the grace period also applies to the reduced fee on the lifetime permit for having a current permit. So if you're more than 30 days expired you can expect to pay $75 for your lifetime permit vs. $60 for a current permit holder. (Plus I think you pay $10 extra for the fingerprints as well.) So if you haven't renewed already, you might want to get it done within the next couple of days!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Update!

Citizens living in the following 24 counties may now apply online for their LTCH prior to visiting the CLEO to get printed.

ALLEN
    BARTHOLOMEW
    BOONE
    BROWN
    CASS
    CLARK
    CLINTON
    ELKHART
    FLOYD
    GREENE
    HARRISON
    HENDRICKS
    HOWARD
    JACKSON
    JENNINGS
    LAWRENCE
    MARION
    MIAMI
    MONROE
    OWEN
    PORTER
    SCOTT
    WASHINGTON
    WELLS

There is at least one link upthread to the site to do so.

ETA: This, BTW, is 24 of 92 counties in Indiana, or ~26%

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That means after. It's a grace period for renewal. However, your permit is not good during the period between when it expired and when the renewal is filed. So if you get caught carrying on an expired permit, renewing it the next day doesn't make it all better. (Unless the judge is having a really good day.) :rockwoot:

Er..no. It's 30 days BEFORE. Once it's expired, it's expired and you may not carry on it at all. If you re-apply within 30 days prior to the expiration of your current license, your current license is automatically extended past its expiration date until your new application arrives (or is rejected). In other words, as long as you're current when you re-apply, you can carry on your application receipt and existing license.

While the law says "within" and not "before", I do not believe it would be interpreted the way that you mean by either a prosecutor or a judge.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Citizens living in the following 24 counties may now apply online for their LTCH prior to visiting the CLEO to get printed.

ALLEN
    BARTHOLOMEW
    BOONE
    BROWN
    CASS
    CLARK
    CLINTON
    ELKHART
    FLOYD
    GREENE
    HARRISON
    HENDRICKS
    HOWARD
    JACKSON
    JENNINGS
    LAWRENCE
    MARION
    MIAMI
    MONROE
    OWEN
    PORTER
    SCOTT
    WASHINGTON
    WELLS

There is at least one link upthread to the site to do so.

Blessings,
    Bill

Boy am I glad I (as long as the law don't di*k us over) will never have to worry about that again. :rockwoot:Thank GOD for Lifetime ltch.

Alerion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Bloomington
    Er..no. It's 30 days BEFORE. Once it's expired, it's expired and you may not carry on it at all. If you re-apply within 30 days prior to the expiration of your current license, your current license is automatically extended past its expiration date until your new application arrives (or is rejected). In other words, as long as you're current when you re-apply, you can carry on your application receipt and existing license.

While the law says "within" and not "before", I do not believe it would be interpreted the way that you mean by either a prosecutor or a judge.

Then by your interpretation, my permit is now expired because I sent in the renewal on 3/13/09 and my permit expired on 5/14/09, 62 days later, without ISP having sent my new permit. In fact, that doesn't make sense since the same section says that the ISP will process permits within 60 days. So do you think the intent of this statement is to ensure that if you renew 31 days before your license expires, you don't get the extension?

However, my previous comment was based on something I overheard while I was filling out my application. (Before waiting a week to get fingerprinted.) Another person renewing his license asked if his permit was still "current" since it had just expired. The lady at the desk told him, "You're OK. You have 30 days to renew." That's the only time I've ever heard 30 days mentioned.

OTOH, she did check the date on my permit and tell me that since I was current, that my permit would still be valid as long as I carried the renewal form with it. Maybe someone should call the Monroe County Sheriff's Dept. and set them straight.

I'd better get home and make sure I didn't have any bills arrive today that are due within 30 days. I must already be late on them!

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    In an email I recieved from ISP, they stated that if your current permit expires after you sent the renewal application in, you can carry with your expired permit. I took it to mean no matter when you applied (as long as you applied before the current permit expired). my:twocents:

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sorry if this is a repeat question....
    I currently live in Marion County and have my LTCH. However, I'm going to be moving to Hendricks county (Brownsburg) next month. Who and which one do I need to contact to get my address changed??

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sorry if this is a repeat question....
    I currently live in Marion County and have my LTCH. However, I'm going to be moving to Hendricks county (Brownsburg) next month. Who and which one do I need to contact to get my address changed??

You need to contact neither one of them. You have to notify the firearms division of the ISP withing 60 days of your move. Check the ISP website on how to contact them or do a search on this forum.

Top Bottom