• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My letter

I sent the following to Coats, Donnelly, Stutzman, Reid, and Boehner via snail mail and email. Of course, it lost its pretty formatting copying into the forum...

The Honorable Daniel Coats,
    United States Senate
    493 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510

I am writing to express my strong opposition to any proposed firearm bans, magazine capacity restrictions, or increased firearm-related regulatory burdens.

My heart aches for the victims of the recent mass shootings and their families, but such storms cannot crack the foundation of our nation; the Bill of Rights is essential to the freedoms we enjoy in this great nation.

• Existing and previous gun bans have proven ineffective. The city of Chicago has among the strictest gun control in the nation, yet is among the most violent places in America. The Columbine High School attack occurred during the now-expired federal assault-weapons ban.
    o Millions of “assault weapons” are existence. Criminals will continue to obtain them through theft, smuggling, and black market means.
    o Evil and violence will always exist, even if the weapons change. In China, where firearms are heavily regulated, knives and explosives are often in school mass killings.
    • Limiting magazine capacity does not reduce as assailant’s effectiveness against un-armed victims, rather it does reduce the firearm’s effectiveness for defensive use. In the April 2007 shootings at the Virginia Tech University, the assailant carried 19 magazines of various capacities; the time to reload was obviously not a hindrance to the attack. However, an individual trying to stop an attack can be at a significant disadvantage if firearm capacity is reduced.
    • The “gun-show loophole” is a fallacy. Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) (dealers) are required to perform the necessary book-keeping and background checks, even at gun shows. Private transfers still must comply with federal and state laws; leave private transfers (intrastate) to the states.
    • Mental health issues and medications need to be better understood. The Virginia Tech, the Aurora, Colorado movie theater, and the Sandy Hook Elementary are just recent examples of violence at the hand of those with mental health issues.
    o “Gun Free Zones” are inviting targets for those looking to make the biggest display, cause the most harm, or make their name known.

Sincerely,

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My latest letter, which I am sending to many reps, not just mine...

To the Honorable Senator/Representative ....,

I wish to express my opposition to ALL proposed firearm legislation coming before the Senate. This includes "Assault Weapons" bans, magazine capacity restrictions, and increased regulatory burdens on transfers.

I was going to detail my arguments for this stance, but I'm sure you have heard them all before. Instead I will say only this:
    Know that if you vote for ANY further firearm restrictions, even a "compromise" piece of legislation, I will do all in my power to see you are unseated in the next election. This includes reaching across party lines, across state lines, contributing monetarily to your opponents’ campaigns, and encouraging everyone I know to do the same.

This issue is a RIGHTS issue. We are discussing destroying part of the Bill of Rights. I would feel just as strongly if we were discussing destroying the 1st or the 5th Amendments. In the next election cycle, I (and many like me), will be a single-issue voter.

Sincerely,

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My letter to Boehner..... hoping he grows a pair...

Dear Mr. Speaker,

I wish to express my opposition to ALL proposed firearm legislation coming before the House. This includes "Assault Weapons" bans, magazine capacity restrictions, and increased regulatory burdens on transfers.

Please do not fall prey to the President's attacks. Do not compromise. Be a roadblock. Be steadfast. Let the President's comments that the House Republicans are hindering his agenda ring true!! Our system is built on checks and balances; both the House and Senate must approve legislation before it goes to the President. That system does NOT require that the House must compromise and agree to "something" just because "something must be done." Rally and stand proud that you can defeat this attack on our Bill of Rights!!

Know that if you vote for or support ANY further firearm restrictions, even a "compromise" piece of legislation, I will do all in my power to see you are unseated in the next election. This includes reaching across party lines, across state lines, contributing monetarily to your opponents’ campaigns, and encouraging everyone I know to do the same.

This issue is a RIGHTS issue. We are discussing destroying part of the Bill of Rights. I would feel just as strongly if we were discussing destroying the 1st or the 5th Amendments. In the next election cycle, I (and many like me), will be a single-issue voter.

Sincerely,

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My letter to Donnelly:

[FONT=&quot]I'm appalled by the showing of the President signing his executive action in front of young children. It was cheap political tactic trying to seize an opportunity to infringe the 2nd amendment. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I would like to see something done that will work, not some flim-flam policy that is completely emotion driven. The” GUN” did not do anything, the person involved broke many laws. The first of which was stealing a gun… My question is; what moved Mr Lanza? He was most certainly mentally ill! Considering the fact only someone with mental problems could perform such a heinous type of crime. The solution is to break down what motivated that person. Was it video games or violent gory movies, the kind with torture, complete with blood and guts, hiding nothing, or was it fifteen minutes of fame given to him by the Media? Allowing him to die famous by the way only the media can provide, with the saturation of 24 hour news coverage. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Media is to me a part of the problem as much as anything else because guns are so easy to blame and get the point across, a picture of the gun not the criminal, there is so many different ways to commit a crime… The 9-11-2001 terrorist attack proves that. Another not far from where I live, a man tried unsuccessfully to kill his family with a truck in Yorktown, IN. It barely made the news, why? Too difficult to report the details of what really happened? No Political agenda to spur the Medias interest? There is no interest in outlawing trucks or to blame the truck for this deranged man’s acts. If it would have been a gun, I’m sure it would've made the front page. We would still be seeing video clips about it on TV followed by children writing letters imploring our administration to take action against guns. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The fact that the root of the VIOLENCE is a problem that faces our nation, no questions asked, but the 2nd amendment is not the place to start with repairing our problems. The 2nd amendment is an amendment that our “Founding Fathers” thought to be so important for all future Americans…[/FONT]

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Emailed all of mine again this morning, as well as used the Ruger link.

Going to email my local people too, asking them to support the FFA bill.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I got the form off of the Ruger site and received a form response from Susan W. Brooks she is in the 5th Indiana Congressional District. She asks for patience as she sifts through the overabundance of of inquires she has with her new office.

Hoosierdaddy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Westside indpls
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the Second Amendment. It is good to hear from you.

Without a doubt, my heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones due to gun violence. As a father of two young boys, I cannot imagine losing them under such horrific circumstances. However, more laws and regulations that restrict gun ownership will not and cannot stop evil. Instead, we need to focus on building strong families and communities, while addressing the moral failings that are the real cause for criminal and violent activity.

As a gun owner and Member of Congress, I strongly oppose any legislation or executive order that prevents law-abiding Americans from responsibly exercising their Second Amendment rights. That is why I sent a strongly worded letter to the president, clearly stating that I will always defend the rights of conscientious, patriotic, and responsible gun owners. I appreciate your comments and will continue to fight to protect our constitutional rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me, and please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Todd Rokita
    Member of Congress

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I got an email from Sen. Luke Kenley. It said that as far as he knows the 2nd ammendment has not been repealed and it is his duty to uphold and protect our rights.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I wrote 3 weeks ago, and today, I recieved a letter in the mail, from Sen. Dan Coats, He says, that he will NOT support any legislation or ex. action that would serve to undermine ownership rights for responsible, law abiding citizens, including any assault weapons ban.
    Way to go DAN !!!!! Maybe he has learned, from 1994 !!!!!
    I also received an e mail, from State Sen. Bob Cherry, and he basically stated the same .....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My latest to my reps + senate/house leadership...

To the Honorable [Senator/Representative],

While it seems that support for an "Assault Weapons" Ban is weakening, there is still discussion about a ban on high-capacity magazines and "Universal" background checks.

I strongly oppose such restrictions, and urge you to vote against such restrictions!

The Dept of Justice reports that the previous "Assault Weapons" Ban (which contained a 10-round magazine limit) "failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims." Such limits have been tested and proven ineffective!

A "Universal" background check is ultimately a back door to implementing complete firearm registration. While that may not be part of the current discussion, complete registration is the only method by which a "Universal" background check becomes enforceable. That is not acceptable! While registration may not be part of the legislation today, I have no doubt it would be the next “reasonable restriction” needed to close a perceived “loophole.” This is all a very slippery slope!

Also note that private firearm transfers (a.k.a the “gun show loophole”) are ONLY allowed to take place between two residents of the same state. This means that private transfers are an INTRA-state issue, and should be left to the states. Some states already regulate private firearm transfers and that is their right, but it should not be forced on the states since the federal government has already regulated the interstate commerce over which it has authority!

The ATF's FAQ (items 2 and 3) verify this.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Please know that I am passionate about the Bill of Rights. This is no longer just the 2nd Amendment being attacked, but the 10th as well. While there are many important issues facing our nation, the attack or support of the Bill of Rights will determine my future votes.

Sincerely,
    -rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    my latest:

Oppose: Firearm Magazine Restrictions

To the Honorable [],

I am writing in opposition to any proposed restrictions on firearm magazine capacity.

I believe such restrictions would NOT positively affect public safety from mass killers. However, I believe such restrictions would reduce the public’s ability to provide for its defense from violent criminals.

The Department of Justice reported that the now-expired 1994 10-round restrictions "failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims." We cannot reasonably expect a new ban would have different results.

We should note that the Virginia Tech shooter carried 19 magazines of various capacities. Despite being an attack on college-age victims and professors (vs defenseless young children), the time needed to reload did NOT provide opportunity for the victims to stop the attacker. The idea that the time to reload provides a defense window is a 1 in a million pipedream from those with little firearms experience. Proponents of such measures are hanging their case on the Giffords incident; the ability to stop that attack was due more to the malfunctions his pistol experienced, not just the time to reload. Novice shooters can reload a firearm in approximately 2.5-3.0 seconds, experienced shooters within 1 second (I see this frequently, on a timer, as an experienced competition range/safety officer).

I found it hypocritical that within minutes of the President’s “They deserve a vote” cheerleading during his State of the Union Address, he highlighted a police officer who was shot 12 times while performing his duties. Reverse the rolls such that a mother defending her home has to stop a violent attack, and her defensive tool is restricted to 10 rounds… The President’s own State of the Union Address highlights for us that 10 rounds may not stop one determined individual. And many attackers work in groups, not individually. There is a reason that police departments use “high-cap” pistols and “assault rifles,” and the public should be afforded the same opportunities to survive a defensive encounter.

VP Biden says we have to enact these measures if it saves even one life; but there are much better tools at our disposal that will allow us to save all or most victims of mass killing, not just one! We need to end the gun-free zone policies. We need to allow teachers and administrators to carry firearms if they so desire, with restrictions made only at the state level. We need to stop corralling our most precious assets into the most vulnerable targets.

Top Bottom