• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    vB4 :(

I am disappoint but I do understand one cannot stay on vBulletin 3.8.X forever. I'd love to have seen XenForo or IPB instead of vB4.

Even if you didn't display the rep - the comments were nice because it's always nice to be thanked for a post when it's helped somebody without them having to clutter the thread with a 'thanks'.

As far as a mod editing somebody else's post - that's part of their job. Once you make a post on INGO it's no longer 'your' content, it belongs to INGO [believe it or not].

Also, you may want to get rid of this wasted space:
    2013-07-07_13-40-51-1.png

That's a lot of space 'above the fold' that's doing nothing.

Additionally there seems to be no way to 'click to enlarge / view full size' anymore on images that are wider than the post.

Last edited:

AnthonyG

Gentard
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    vB4 :(

I am disappoint but I do understand one cannot stay on vBulletin 3.8.X forever. I'd love to have seen XenForo or IPB instead of vB4.

Even if you didn't display the rep - the comments were nice because it's always nice to be thanked for a post when it's helped somebody without them having to clutter the thread with a 'thanks'.

As far as a mod editing somebody else's post - that's part of their job. Once you make a post on INGO it's no longer 'your' content, it belongs to INGO [believe it or not].

Also, you may want to get rid of this wasted space:
    2013-07-07_13-40-51-1.png

That's a lot of space 'above the fold' that's doing nothing.

Additionally there seems to be no way to 'click to enlarge / view full size' anymore on images that are wider than the post.

IPB Sucks
    Xenforo isnt quite there yet.

There is a banner ad in the header, maybe you shouldnt block the ads that help pay for the site.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My only issue was that there was nothing to indicate that the post was modified.

^THIS!

Modifying a post for content is needed in certain circumstances, I don't believe that is being argued.

I do NOT like the fact that a post can be altered in ANY way and not be acknowledged to have been changed.

This may only be an internet forum, but some of us real people still take a person's words as a part of their individual character.
    No-one, not one single person on this site speaks for me, but me.
    If you don't care for what I have to say, engage me in civil discourse.

If you'd like to delete my post, feel free to do so. The site does not belong to me.

I am not thin-skinned. I will let a lot of criticism roll off my back. I merely consider the source. If the criticism seems valid and I value the opinion of the source, I'll address it in the best way I know how.

Do NOT change what I have to say without acknowledging that fact, unless you want to start losing forum members.

This post is strictly my opinion, and NOT that of anyone else. :twocents:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For what it's worth, the black letters on green background isn't the easiest for these old eyes to see, and as the text area of the posts appear to be getting darker by the shade, they to are getting more difficult to read.

Seems I remember earlier this AM that the text window in the threads were much lighter with the resulting higher contrast with the black letters much easier to read.

In other words, getting older sucks! :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For what it's worth, the black letters on green background isn't the easiest for these old eyes to see, and as the text area of the posts appear to be getting darker by the shade, they to are getting more difficult to read.

Seems I remember earlier this AM that the text window in the threads were much lighter with the resulting higher contrast with the black letters much easier to read.

In other words, getting older sucks! :D

I have to disagree with the difficulty. What I saw early was hard on my eyes and I am no spring chicken. That was one of the many issues I had early.
    I still do not like the way the page is laid out but Fenway said this is not the final deal so patience.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Mods modify existing posts as a normal part of their work. For example, to remove copyrighted text or to insert some comments as they did in my post to provide immediate feedback for anyone reading the post. I really don't have a problem that that. It can be abused, but I think they use that power pretty responsibly. My only issue was that there was nothing to indicate that the post was modified.
    If you looked you would notice Anthony is an Admin, not a Moderator. As such the default setting for Admins is that when they edit a post it does not show they edited this. However he can add a reason if he wants to. Moderators by default show they edited the post. They can add a reason if they want but it will always show they edited it unless the default is changed. As an Admin on another vBulletin board I generally put a short note in the post explaining the reason for edits. It's not required either by protocol or format.
    VB4 is much more stable on the back end. It also adds some features that can be turned off or on.
    I also want to thank Anthony for his hard work. I know from experience that it can be a huge pain to upgrade VB software. Plus people tend to either love or hate the changes and feel it's a Constitutional right to ***** and complain about them. Especially the cosmetic ones. :laugh:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    IPB Sucks
    Xenforo isnt quite there yet.

There is a banner ad in the header, maybe you shouldnt block the ads that help pay for the site.
    I've disabled my ad blocker for INGO, but I'll have to check and make sure that it is still functioning properly due to the changes in the site. All of the other advertisements are loading fine, such as the ones down the left side of the page - just not the header.

That said - I'm a site supporter, I'm happy to help support the site.

I'd have to say vB3 > IPB > vB4 personally. IPB and XenForo are light-years ahead at least from the Admin/Mod side IMHO.

XenForo isn't 'quite there yet' because JelSoft [owners of vBulletin] were suing them. Thankfully that's all settled and development is back on track.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you looked you would notice Anthony is an Admin, not a Moderator. As such the default setting for Admins is that when they edit a post it does not show they edited this. However he can add a reason if he wants to. Moderators by default show they edited the post. They can add a reason if they want but it will always show they edited it unless the default is changed.
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware it worked that way as I am used to seeing Mod updates far more than Admin updates. Still not happy what that setup.

I know from experience that it can be a huge pain to upgrade VB software. Plus people tend to either love or hate the changes and feel it's a Constitutional right to ***** and complain about them. Especially the cosmetic ones. :laugh:
    :poop: I work in IT and am quite familiar with the fact that upgrades can be difficult. That is why I've been trying to report legitimate problems with the site, not ***** about the changes. Altering my posts is not a "cosmetic" problem.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rather than it be quoted, they edited your post. No biggie. It's not like they are trolling you and changing ALL of your posts to insult you (though entertaining for most, I don't think YOU would like that ;) )

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Haven't read my posts, have you? I've now stated three times (including in the OP) that I don't have a problem with the content of the update, but the fact that it wasn't flagged at all.

AnthonyG

Gentard
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I've disabled my ad blocker for INGO, but I'll have to check and make sure that it is still functioning properly due to the changes in the site. All of the other advertisements are loading fine, such as the ones down the left side of the page - just not the header.

That said - I'm a site supporter, I'm happy to help support the site.

I'd have to say vB3 > IPB > vB4 personally. IPB and XenForo are light-years ahead at least from the Admin/Mod side IMHO.

XenForo isn't 'quite there yet' because JelSoft [owners of vBulletin] were suing them. Thankfully that's all settled and development is back on track.

Sorry to say, but Jelsoft wasnt suing Kier.

IPB - It doesnt come close to Vb3/4 in the performance area, its AdminCP is a pita to add a simple forum, seeing as you have navigate through numerous pages to complete a simple task.

Xenforo - Has a long ways until it catches up to Vb in the standard feature aspect, performance wise its good, ive used it since its first release, unfortunately it doesnt come close to the needs to large forum sites at this point.

VB4 is much more stable on the back end. It also adds some features that can be turned off or on.
    I also want to thank Anthony for his hard work. I know from experience that it can be a huge pain to upgrade VB software. Plus people tend to either love or hate the changes and feel it's a Constitutional right to ***** and complain about them. Especially the cosmetic ones. :laugh:

Vb is very easy to update.

Vb4 is no more stable than Vb3, both have their issues & one dates all the way back to Vb 1.x.x, which would be the time i started using it, the reason for the Vb upgrade was due to a few things, which if Fenway wants to post about he can.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If there were no change in the world, we wouldn't have INGO.

So, i'll wait and see.

The mobile view looks promising, but I can't find usercp in it. But it's probably me.

Thanks to the mods and admins for all the hard work i'm sure they're putting in.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sorry to say, but Jelsoft wasnt suing Kier.
    You're being picky.
    XenForo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <- Lawsuit information Internet Brands suing XenForo over vBulletin Features.
    Jelsoft's future: acquisition news - vBulletin Community Forum <- JelSoft acquisition by Internet Brands information.

Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands and Internet Brands was suing XenForo. I'm sorry that I didn't say "XenForo is being sued by Jelsoft's parent company due to features they believe were stolen from vBulletin." At the end of the day the point was that XenForo development was stifled by a lawsuit filed by the company that has controlling interest in vBulletin.

IPB - It doesnt come close to Vb3/4 in the performance area, its AdminCP is a pita to add a simple forum, seeing as you have navigate through numerous pages to complete a simple task.
    Hosting several thousand forums myself - I have a fairly good idea of what does or does not perform well but I won't argue that with you - I know I'm not going to change your mind and I'm not going to try. You have your experiences, and I have mine.

That said - as far as the IPB admin area vs vBulletin -> That's a matter of preference and experience. It was just my personal opinion that IPB or XenForo would have been nice. I wasn't looking to anger you into an argument.

Xenforo - Has a long ways until it catches up to Vb in the standard feature aspect, performance wise its good, ive used it since its first release, unfortunately it doesnt come close to the needs to large forum sites at this point.
    Indeed - development was stifled by vBulletin/JelSoft/Internet Brands.

Vb is very easy to update.
    That it is - upgrading on IPB tends to be a little bit of a pain due to a lot of template changes with each version... That is, until you get familiar with it. I've performed upgrades myself on thousands of forums over the years - at the end of the day they all have their quirks you have to get around or get used to.

Vb4 is no more stable than Vb3, both have their issues & one dates all the way back to Vb 1.x.x, which would be the time i started using it, the reason for the Vb upgrade was due to a few things, which if Fenway wants to post about he can.
    At the end of the day what forum software INGO runs is up to INGO and it's Owners/Operators/Administrators.

I'm just posting my personal views and opinions - you're welcome to disagree :).

AnthonyG

Gentard
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    How would you get that im angry?

Im simply posting my opinion about what you stated, just as you did.

I wasnt being picky, i just stated the actual fact, Jelsoft didnt sue Kier.

Top Bottom