• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Personally I struggle some with this. While my respect for the second amendment remains unshakable, my observations of many people who walk among us is less comforting. Sometimes I feel that old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it" speaking to me. I can't rule out that some of the things we wish for in today's environment could come back to bite us. I know far too many people who for any number or reasons, scare me to think of carrying a weapon. It isn't because I think they are stupid or mental or violent so much as I don't see them as EVER taking the responsibility seriously, making an effort to know what they don't know or training themselves to be capable much less safe. As another example, we pushed to be able to use HP rifles for deer hunting, which is great right up to the point where some moron uses a high powered rifle way too close to a friendly environment and has a stray hit a person or worse yet a kid. One such incident could fuel efforts to create a backlash that would consume months or even years of good work and behavior. I don't wish to appear to be batting for the other side, but I don't want to see our own good efforts backfire and damage our other good efforts either. I don't pretend to know where the line should be drawn, but I know we'll pay a price if we carelessly jog over it and in doing so, contribute to our own demise.

I have said this so many times but it bears repeating....those who you see as untrustworthy are most likely packing heavy anyway. No law or threat of new law will stop those that live outside the law. This is what we need to be concentrating on not just the threat that some un-lawful douche may actually walk among us with a gun on his person........He most likely already is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rights are enumerated in and protected by the US Constitution specifically to protect the rights of expressions that are unpopular. The 1st is there to protect speech and speakers whose speech you don't like. The 2nd is there to protect the right to keep and bear arms of people who others don't think should have guns (assuming they haven't already proven they are violent, predatory criminals). For people who oppose anyone having guns, the 2nd Amendment is there to remind them that they have no say in the matter. The same is true for those among "us" who think the right is okay for me but not for thee.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If people aren't carrying a gun now, making it legal won't change that.

Just like repealing the [STRIKE]20th[/STRIKE] 18th amendment didn't turn everyone into alcoholics.

Everything is cultural. If carrying a gun isn't part of your culture, a law isn't going to change that.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have said this so many times but it bears repeating....those who you see as untrustworthy are most likely packing heavy anyway. No law or threat of new law will stop those that live outside the law. This is what we need to be concentrating on not just the threat that some un-lawful douche may actually walk among us with a gun on his person........He most likely already is.

Rights are enumerated in and protected by the US Constitution specifically to protect the rights of expressions that are unpopular. The 1st is there to protect speech and speakers whose speech you don't like. The 2nd is there to protect the right to keep and bear arms of people who others don't think should have guns (assuming they haven't already proven they are violent, predatory criminals). For people who oppose anyone having guns, the 2nd Amendment is there to remind them that they have no say in the matter. The same is true for those among "us" who think the right is okay for me but not for thee.

Double QFT's since I keep running out of rep for people.

What (formal / official) training is "REQUJIRED" by the state now? ... Do people screw up even w/ training? (DERP!)

let go of your fears .... the same thing was said as states went from May issues to Shall Issue ... and again as we remove other prohibitions or other have allowed OC ... and "Stand your Ground" ...
    The feared things - they are not happening.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If people aren't carrying a gun now, making it legal won't change that.

Just like repealing the 20th amendment didn't turn everyone into alcoholics.

Everything is cultural. If carrying a gun isn't part of your culture, a law isn't going to change that.
    I think you mean the 18th, but I get your point.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Double QFT's since I keep running out of rep for people.

What (formal / official) training is "REQUJIRED" by the state now? ... Do people screw up even w/ training? (DERP!)

let go of your fears .... the same thing was said as states went from May issues to Shall Issue ... and again as we remove other prohibitions or other have allowed OC ... and "Stand your Ground" ...
    The feared things - they are not happening.

You can put RIFRA on your list too. Weren't all sorts of atrocities supposed to happen in the name of religious freedom after that passed?

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    You can put RIFRA on your list too. Weren't all sorts of atrocities supposed to happen in the name of religious freedom after that passed?
    The Federal RFRA Act of 1993 was introduced by Chuck Schumer D-NY with a companion bill offered the same day by Ted Kennedy D-Mass. it passed Congress almost unanimously and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. Indiana's version of the RFRA while not verbatim is identical in spirit. Yet another non-argument by (I don't know what to call these people) that I will never understand. If you're going to make a stand and fight for something, at least make sure there's something real worth the battle. Otherwise you just waste time, and resources and you look foolish.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I'm a "worker-bee" not an organizer/front-man (or woman), but I certainly could and would kick in some free time and a little cash on a regular basis to support an Indiana state Pro 2A group that produces as much action as it does talk. Maybe one place to look at would be the 13 or so states that already have some form of constitutional carry. Success tends to breed more success.

This. In 1987 there were a handful of states that allowed carry at all. Indiana was one of those states. Florida passed their modern concealed carry law and the idea began to spread. Now Shall issue license schemes or Constitutional Carry are more common than May issue. Constitutional Carry is the next logical step in the restoration of carry rights. It is spreading. I can't think of an instance where a state loosened up their carry laws and later tightened them back up. The irrational fears and prophecies of utter doom never come true. I'm not trying to be mean or too judgemental here, but an easily acquired carry license has been available in Indiana for generations and that is good. It's also lead to in my opinion a great deal of complacency, demonstrated by a total lack of a gun rights organizations. Ohio has two.

I don't consider our current climate to be very oppressive. I do consider the licensing process to be little more than bribery. I will always be in favor of putting even more room between where we are or will be and tyranny. That's really the point. Constitutional Carry is adding another mile banners have to walk through wet concrete to pass restrictions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom