• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had a chance to fondle that gun ^^^. It is *every* bit as impressive in person as it looks to be in mcapo's pic. It's definitely a "mic drop" revolver, I think you could put a new crater on the face of the moon with that beast!

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think my wife would put a new crater in me with it. She’s very tolerant and even encourages some purchases, but I’d really struggle to justify buying a competition revolver.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'm torn on the Rugers. I like the pricing, but they feel less polished. They don't feel cheap or bad, just chunkier than ideal maybe? I don't think that's the best way to describe it, but I'm failing to find the right way to say it.

I agree, beauty and the beast. IMHO, the Ruger is much more "sturdy" maybe. The S&W may be better detailed, but the Ruger will last forever. I believe Ruger makes a better workhorse, S&W a better show horse. Depends what your needs and wants are. Both are fine, I prefer the workhorse.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree, beauty and the beast. IMHO, the Ruger is much more "sturdy" maybe. The S&W may be better detailed, but the Ruger will last forever. I believe Ruger makes a better workhorse, S&W a better show horse. Depends what your needs and wants are. Both are fine, I prefer the workhorse.
    I think some reloading manuals include "Ruger only" loads, which is a testament to their sturdiness. I miss my GP100 Wiley Clapp. I'm down to 3 revolvers - a 4" 66, a 2" 66 and a Manurhin MR 73 (the gun in my avatar pic). The Manurhin is my favorite and will hold its own with Rugers in strength, while being the same size as a K-frame. Prices on them have gone crazy since I got mine though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you're not totally set on .357, you might consider the Ruger SP101 or GP100 in .327. It's a little softer shooting, yet powerful enough that you know you're shooting a magnum. They can shoot the 32 S&W, the 32 H&R magnum and the 327 magnum, so a lot of flexibility just like the 38/357. It's probably not the most practical in terms of ammo availability, but I just flat-out like it. I have the SP101 in 3" and GP100 in 4", and they're both quality pieces. I plan to eventually have S&W's also, but the Rugers were an affordable way to edge into the quality revolver world. Just recently picked up the new Henry carbine in .327. Life is good! Best of luck with your choices.

I absolutely love my SP101 in .327 Fed/mag.
    It is a soft shooter, accurate, and not too heavy.
    The 4/2" barrel makes it a little harder to conceal, but not impossible.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

That is a much better way of stating it.

For the moment at least, I think (with everyone’s guidance) I’ve whittled things down to start with a larger frame. Just seems like a smarter idea. Thinking a GP100, 66 or 686. Most likely in the 3-4” +/- barrel range.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That is a much better way of stating it.

For the moment at least, I think (with everyone’s guidance) I’ve whittled things down to start with a larger frame. Just seems like a smarter idea. Thinking a GP100, 66 or 686. Most likely in the 3-4” +/- barrel range.

We all have our biases but those are all fine choices. Personally, I find 4" + to be ideal for range work. You'll find what works best for you. Pretty cool SW TRR8 in the classies...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We all have our biases but those are all fine choices. Personally, I find 4" + to be ideal for range work. You'll find what works best for you. Pretty cool SW TRR8 in the classies...

4" is arguably the most versatile length. For a first revolver, I'd stay in the 3-6" range. I *can* carry a 6" N-frame concealed but it's with a custom holster and it's certainly harder to dress around.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I saw it it went up last night. It’s another that would be fun, but I have to wait for the time being. Something about my bday present was expensive. Being a responsible adult can be so dull. Oh well, gives me time to research, learn and ask all the questions I can before purchasing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    4" is arguably the most versatile length. For a first revolver, I'd stay in the 3-6" range. I *can* carry a 6" N-frame concealed but it's with a custom holster and it's certainly harder to dress around.
    Or just own it, get a nice SA revolver cowboy rig and dress the part. That is how I picture Indiucky in my mind.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think some reloading manuals include "Ruger only" loads, which is a testament to their sturdiness. I miss my GP100 Wiley Clapp. I'm down to 3 revolvers - a 4" 66, a 2" 66 and a Manurhin MR 73 (the gun in my avatar pic). The Manurhin is my favorite and will hold its own with Rugers in strength, while being the same size as a K-frame. Prices on them have gone crazy since I got mine though.

Re: the "ruger only loads" I think that has more to do with overall cartridge length -- I think ruger leaves slightly more chamber/throat so that they can load heavy (read: longer) projectiles. Some loads from Buffalo Bore come to mind. I don't think that these loads exceed max pressure for a 357mag. Please correct me if you know otherwise.

The Ruger's are tough as nails - I love mine - but BOTH the Ruger and the S&W are over-engineered to safely shoot the hottest factory ammo.

If I were to start my revolver quest all over again. I'd get a 4" (technically 4.2") GP100 Match champion, THEN I'd get a New Model 66 2.75", THEN I'd get a J-Frame or LCR, then I'd get a model 627 V-comp.... and the list goes on and on.

The GP100 is surprisingly easy to smooth up with minimal skills. "Kitchen table gunsmithing" is generally sufficient to make the decent trigger great! You'll want to try some different spring weights (I stayed in the middle of the road - meaning 9 or 10 lbs for both the main hammer spring and the trigger return spring - that way it'll consistently set off all factory ammo and I can't 'outrun' the trigger resetting).

The Match Champion comes with hammer shims, I also added trigger shims and hammer dog shims (triggershimsDOTcom is a good resource), and sp101triggerjobDOTcom has detailed instructions for how to remove any rough machining marks/burrs that can drag on springs. BTW the sp101 and the GP100 are mechanically the same in function (just overall size is different

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know I’m bit all over the place at the moment. Hoping the input from INGO can help narrow things down and give a direction. So far I’ve looked at mostly 2-3” barrel versions and a couple of 4” versions. What I have overlooked or not looked at fairly? I’m open to new or used. I’m not in any rush to purchase this, I want to be sure before I buy this time. Will probably be the end of summer at the earliest.

Thanks for any input guys!

I have it from the Hoosier Yoda of revolvers, aka Denny Reichard, when I was up in Fulton County day before Easter. Yoda told me that if you wanted a new revolver today, hands down the way to go is the new modular M66. "Cannot kill it" was the phrase I remember.

My thoughts:

1. I'd listen to Denny as he is Yoda.
    2. Stick with a 4" tube so you can get holsters and have the full length ejection rod (remember, revolvers are all about reloading).
    3. I like Smith, but I have others too.
    4. I would listen to Yoda.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are revolver noob, is best to seek wisdom from on high. We in Indiana have a Master Armorer in Rochester. He is a cranky retired cop, but ex catherda on revolvers and most guns.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Take advantage of the wisdom here as software is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you are revolver noob, is best to seek wisdom from on high. We in Indiana have a Master Armorer in Rochester. He is a cranky retired cop, but ex catherda on revolvers and most guns.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Take advantage of the wisdom here as software is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

I’ll be back in Plymouth in a few weeks for a family reunion, may have to detour through Rochester on the way. Will make that weekend more interesting.

Top Bottom