• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't want to be Barney, please. I asked nicely.
    All in good fun. You extended an invite to me for a ride along some time back if I was ever in your neighborhood and I still appreciate the offer.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You have to go back and read page #1. I'm kind of anxious to see how the story ends. He hasn't referred to me as "Barney" yet.

Last edited:

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Just curious, how exactly do you get to go on a "ride along" ? Is this for prospective police academy students or can anyone schedule a ride along? Sounds interesting, I wonder if this is something that can be arranged at any department? Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Just curious, how exactly do you get to go on a "ride along" ? Is this for prospective police academy students or can anyone schedule a ride along? Sounds interesting, I wonder if this is something that can be arranged at any department? Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

Anyone can do a ride along if an officer is willing.

BTW, Titanium needs to get his ass in here and finish the AAR!:):

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    That's definitely one way to get one, but there's also a good chance that if you posted your general location(~county), you might find an INGO LEO that would help you out.

Oh okay, well I'm in the Valpo area..Porter county. Not sure if there are any NWI LEOs on here but if so I'd def be interested in a ride along.

Thx for the direction btw..:yesway:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Oh okay, well I'm in the Valpo area..Porter county. Not sure if there are any NWI LEOs on here but if so I'd def be interested in a ride along.

Thx for the direction btw..:yesway:

I know where Valpo is, but I don't know how close our INGO LEO members are to that location besides their location being "NWI."

Kick is a member here that (IIRC) lives around there and would be a great guy to have a ride-along with, but he works in IL.

Your best bet would be to start a new thread asking for any [Valpo, IN] LEO to hook you up with a ride-along.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was so tired last night. I went to bed when I quit typing! I'll finish part 2 this evening.

My wife was so jealous she wants to go on one now and Lonnie was gracious enough to oblige whenever she was ready for one.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

Some department will and some won't. We have a "citizens academy". It meedts several times during a certain period. I am not for sure how long it lasts but they bring in representatives from several divisions (crime scene, SWAT, detectives, RANGE OFFICERS) and explains their duties. At the end they can get scheduled for a ride along. It's a good way to introduce them to police officers that normally they would never come in contact with.

Also you can contact the department and see if they have such a program. We do.

Last edited:

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Some department will and some won't. We have a "citizens academy". It meedts several times during a certain period. I am not for sure how long it lasts but they bring in representatives from several divisions (crime scene, SWAT, detectives, RANGE OFFICERS) and explains their duties. At the end they can get scheduled for a ride along. It's a good way to introduce them to police officers that normally they would never come in contact with.

Also you can contact the department and see if they have such a program. We do.

Interesting.. thanks for that I'll be checkin into it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have been waiting for the second installment. Especially the part about our getting stuck in the sally-port in about 90 degree heat. The air pressure went out and no doors could be opened. It was warm.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We don't do them. The only exceptions are college students in certain classes that mandate a certain amount of hours of riding along. The last student I had smelled and left my car a mess of food wrappers and crumbs. Not looking forward to any others.
    Had one that needed it for a class and he looked at a car magazine all night. Titanium was actually refreshing. He appeared to be interested in everthing that was going on and asked the right questions. He also didn't miss a whole lot. The big thing was that he didn't spaz out when I turned on the lights and siren.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Does being in the back seat constitute a ride a long? If so I went on a few.

In the mid 80's I had a friend who was a local LEO in a very small town. I rode along with him for part of his shift (night). It was the most boring thing I did. I think I lasted about 2 hours.

When you ride a long can you carry a weapon?

Top Bottom