• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I see where RK got this (18 U.S.C. 922(q)), but while it applies in "school zones" it does not apply on private property that are not school grounds. The confusion come in that there is a provision that the 922(q) prohibition also​ does not apply to guns unloaded in a locked container. The law does not require both (private property and locked), only one.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    A little off topic, but specifically for the Bloomington RK gun counter dude:

15621727_10209979809405472_752258449093903609_n.jpg

This is what CLP is (he'd never heard of it).

bubbazap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    RK in Jeffersonville also require this. Their reasoning is that they are within the school zone for the high school. However they tell that you can bring the case back but that you must wait 2 days to return it

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm betting these stores that do this is all about some feel-good reason or avoiding in-store suicides or negligent discharges or something like that. Blaming it on the feds is just a convenient way of having to argue about their stupid rationale.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I suppose that RK does not have the time, money or inclination to have their corporate attorneys clarify this "grey area" of the law. Since that seems to be the case, I'll just buy my firearms elsewhere.

Why should I pay extra, and/or jump through extra hoops, when it is so painless to just shop elsewhere? As was said earlier, "It's not rocket science"!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A little off topic, but specifically for the Bloomington RK gun counter dude:

15621727_10209979809405472_752258449093903609_n.jpg

This is what CLP is (he'd never heard of it).

I have only been to the gun counter twice and both times the guys behind the counter did not come across as very knowledgeable about firearms. Doesn't surprise me that they didn't know what CLP was.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm betting these stores that do this is all about some feel-good reason or avoiding in-store suicides or negligent discharges or something like that. Blaming it on the feds is just a convenient way of having to argue about their stupid rationale.

See my post above. The federal law does have an exception for unloaded guns in a locked case....but that's not necessary to do on private property off of actual school grounds. They are doubling up on the exceptions to make you double not-so-secret legal.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So what is to stop someone who buys a firearm there, takes it out in their "approved" locked case, gets to their car and takes the firearm out of the case, and then walks onto the school grounds to do something evil? The level of stupid seems to be getting higher these days.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So what is to stop someone who buys a firearm there, takes it out in their "approved" locked case, gets to their car and takes the firearm out of the case, and then walks onto the school grounds to do something evil? The level of stupid seems to be getting higher these days.

Don't you know, you silly, silly man?:nuts:

The Gun Free Zone law protects people. That is why nobody has ever died in a GFZ!:ugh:

Goodness gracious! It's laws and policies like these that keep American children safe, that and calling Uncle LEO on parents who let their children play in the park without supervision.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Alright, looks like this calls for a long quote from the statute:

(q)…
    …( 2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of
    the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law
    enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or
    an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access
    to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities

18 U.S.C.A. § 922(q)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Their house their rules. Don't buy a gun there issue solved. Or bring a case or even better yet buy a case then return it.

I agree with "their house, their rules" to a point.

When their house rules are based upon a lie that does not apply, they are spreading misinformation that I will usually chafe against.

They can have whatever rules they want, but when they tell customers "it's the law" when it just ain't so contributes to the spread of misinformation that gets twisted and twisted further down the road.

Besides, I also believe it makes them look ignorant about the law. If they are ignorant about the law, what ELSE are they ignorant about when I am looking for information on a product? Spouting nonsense undermines credibility.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    See my post above. The federal law does have an exception for unloaded guns in a locked case....but that's not necessary to do on private property off of actual school grounds. They are doubling up on the exceptions to make you double not-so-secret legal.

I can buy that. In a different world I've been involved in decisions by management that go "that extra step"..."just to make sure", even though it's not required.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I had a terrible time at Rural King in N/E Indiana. I bought a handgun from RK Guns.com, no shipping p/u @ Store no FFL Fee. It arrived in 4 days and they called me. I went to pick it up and filled out the 4473. While waiting a guy and his grown son came up and bought a Handgun. He filled the4473 and was talking with the store person about an AR. The guy was trying to sell him an Omni Hybrid. The had another AR on sale cheaper with an all aluminum receiver and a quad rail. I told the guy he was better off with the Sale gun. The store person said the difference was the sale gun was all Steel? I told the guy the Upper and Lower were Aluminum and the barrel was steel. The store person goes over and checks it with a Magnet! My 4473 cleared and then he couldn't find my Gun. Turns out it was in the office Safe. He Called someone to walk me out. The guy and his son were talking about a gun for his wife for Christmas. Store person tells him he can't sell him any more Handguns because it would be a Straw Purchase for his wife! The son says I want to buy one, store person tells him since he's with Dad that would be a Straw Purchase also! Two more calls to get the Manager to walk me out, total time 1:45. I should have just paid Retail......

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I used to stop in there for fun during my work travel breaks but the whole trigger lock rule has put me off. I was told by more than 1 store employee that a customer asked to look at a handgun then attempted to load and try to commit suicide. True? Not sure?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I've been to stores before with my wife and she wants to look at a gun, shoulders it then asks me to look and see what I think, when they try and accuse her of trying to make a straw purchase I just go elsewhere to purchase.

I'll also go out on a limb here and say that most gun stores don't really want you to come in carrying a case randomly in case you want to buy. I also typically won't have a case with me, most of my purchases are me 'just browsing' until I find something I just want to buy

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Liability, liability, liability. They are just distancing themselves from any liability whatsoever. I see it all the time on Armslist whether it be for liability or just trying to do what they think is the right thing, people ask for a drivers license and a carry license before they will sell to you. Just as the other poster said, they are just doubling up.

Top Bottom