• 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Rifle Training April 19, 2008 Freedom, IN

The Appleseed Project

The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away — no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile;" a rifleman can hit just about any target he can see. This skill was particulary evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War.

So why me?

This country was founded and won by riflemen who fought and beat British forces. We invite all interested marksmen to learn the skills and techniques necessary to shoot proficiently; and then hope you'll participate in teaching and practicing with others so that together we can save this great land. Why you? Well, that's simple: if you're on this page we're betting you're a patriot, and we hope you answer the call.

What's a rifleman?
    In short, a rifleman is an armed American, trained in the tradition of American Liberty. It's a man who has learned to shoot a rifle accurately — accurate enough to score "expert" on the Army Qualification Course. Until you can do that, you're considered a "Cook," unprepared and unqualified to carry a rifle on the firing line of freedom. But after attending an Appleseed AQT shoot, you'll have the credentials necessary to be a true rifleman, and will understand the critical need for defending freedom in this country.

Revolutionary War Veterans Association

PAYING TRIBUTE TO APRIL 19, 1775 THROUGH AWARENESS, LEARNING & MARKSMANSHIP

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've been signed up for a little while.
    I'm resizing cases today to load and take.

BTW, it's April 19th and 20th...not just the 19th (but I understand you can go just one day if you have to/want to).

I've never been to one before, but I know that $70 for two days is cheap training and I won't pass that up.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Do you know what the cost is to just observe? I wouldn't have time to scrape together the ammo required but it does look like a great opportunity for rifle training and it's practically in my back yard.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have no idea.
    I guess ask at their forum (a guy called Hawkhavn said he is teaching this one). I would really think they might let you watch for nothing to encourage you to come later.

You can also shoot one day only.

And- This same Hawkhavn said it would probably all be done at 25 meters, so a .22 would work.

Anyway, I'd ask there.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Do you know what the cost is to just observe? I wouldn't have time to scrape together the ammo required but it does look like a great opportunity for rifle training and it's practically in my back yard.

What kind of ammo do you need?

.22lr's are often available for loan and a brick of 500 .22lr is only $10-20. If you have something else you need to train with, what is the caliber? Maybe we can scrounge up some boxes here or there.

At the very least, I might be able to square away a .22lr for you for the day if ammo for your rifle is not possible. Watching will not teach you what shooting will. If you promise to go, I and the guys running it will find a way for you to shoot!

Guys, this is by far the best riflemanship training around, and it is cheap. I travelled to their shoot last year in KY and was stunned by the quality of their training and their superb sense of history.

I will only be able to sneak away from a family weekend for the Sunday shoot, but I will be there on Wed. I will again be trying to get rifleman with the AR, but if I qualify early, maybe I will break out the Izzy Scout and see if I can do it with a bolt action!

Bring slings, everyone, as slings are the secret that have made Americans the most deadly riflemen in the world for the last 300 years.

Oh, and did I mention these guys charge next to nothing for the event!

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    techres;[SIZE=3 said:
    46893[/size]]What kind of ammo do you need?

I have 308 cal rifles but Barry thought that a 22 could suffice. If a 22 would work, I could easily acquire 500 rounds of decent 22 ammo but my 22's are bottom line and I would feel better having at least a target quality rifle.

I'm very familiar with pistol and shotgun but not so much with the rifle. Fundamentals can be taught non with standing the caliber.

I need to call and inquire about specific details but I would love to speak to someone who has completed one. It looks like a great program and training opportunity.

For some strange reason I didn't see the rest of your post - only the ammo part. It is a great opportunity and may not be in this area again.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have 308 cal rifles but Barry thought that a 22 could suffice. If a 22 would work, I could easily acquire 500 rounds of decent 22 ammo but my 22's are bottom line and I would feel better having at least a target quality rifle.

I'm very familiar with pistol and shotgun but not so much with the rifle. Fundamentals can be taught non with standing the caliber.

I need to call and inquire about specific details but I would love to speak to someone who has completed one. It looks like a great program and training opportunity.

For some strange reason I didn't see the rest of your post - only the ammo part. It is a great opportunity and may not be in this area again.

A .22lr will work fine. The lowly 10/22 is considered the best training rifle there is, even though a M1 is the "true" battle rifle. At the event last year we had marlins, rugers, M1's, every kind and color of AR, Ak's, tons of SKS's, M1 Carbines, Fn's, FAL's, and a few really spaceaged looking things. As for my offier, basically, if someone agrees to come and does not have a rifle, I am sure we can get you something to work with. I need to sling up my 10/22, but if others need something - there is always the STG-2000 (not all that accurate though...).

I have already sent a message to the trainer about loaner rifles and am working out details.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, to be clear, the deal for loaner stuff is true for others here. If equipment is holding you back from going to this event, let me know, sign up, and we will make a way for you to have a rifle and ammo!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Found this additional info posted on Glocktalk today by

Lil'guns

Quote........................................

Hey All,

Indiana has TWO Appleseed Shoots on April 19th-20th! http://www.appleseedinfo.org

One is in the Southeast part of the state in Lexington, IN, just west of Madison.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1907.0

This is a 25 meter only location, so it is a great location to bring a 22 to, and get some quality, inexpensive rifle instruction.

There is lots of room, for over 50 shooters, Free Camping and remember that Kids under 21 and Miliary shoot FREE.

The other location is Freedom, IN, more in the West-Central part of the state, between Terra Haute and Bloomington, IN.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1528.0

This looks to be a 25 meter only event as well, camping available on site.

Folks, these are great instructional, family friendly events, that not only teach quality rifle marksmanship, but will reintroduce you to the men and women of April 19th, 1775, "the day the shot was heard around the world".

These two shoots are part of the special April 19th presentation of Appleseed, with 13 shoots being held that weekend around the country, with a goal of over 500 people on Appleseed firing lines nation wide! Come on out and be a part of History, past and present.

Feel free to ask questions about either of these shoots or the Appleseed Project in general, you can even PM me if you wish.

See ya there!

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have a .22 that would suffice I would suppose, and the Freedom location is only 30 minutes from my house. I will seriously consider going to this, I would learn a ton I already know.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    What kind of ammo do you need?

.22lr's are often available for loan and a brick of 500 .22lr is only $10-20. If you have something else you need to train with, what is the caliber? Maybe we can scrounge up some boxes here or there.

At the very least, I might be able to square away a .22lr for you for the day if ammo for your rifle is not possible. Watching will not teach you what shooting will. If you promise to go, I and the guys running it will find a way for you to shoot!

Guys, this is by far the best riflemanship training around, and it is cheap. I traveled to their shoot last year in KY and was stunned by the quality of their training and their superb sense of history.

I will only be able to sneak away from a family weekend for the Sunday shoot, but I will be there on Wed. I will again be trying to get rifleman with the AR, but if I qualify early, maybe I will break out the Izzy Scout and see if I can do it with a bolt action!

Bring slings, everyone, as slings are the secret that have made Americans the most deadly riflemen in the world for the last 300 years.

Oh, and did I mention these guys charge next to nothing for the event!

Looking at the Savage Arms web site they have 3 basic bolt Mark II 22 LR models. Peep sight, rifle sights or one that would require a scope. For this training, which set up is preferable, scope, rifle or peep sights? It seems that all Bull Barrel models require a scope.

Savage Arms Rimfire Rifles

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Appleseed Shoots

Additional Info:

Not only are there 2 Indiana shoots on April 19 & 20, I.E. Freedom and Lexington but there are 3 more scheduled for Indiana at this time (more to follow?)

Wabash June 14 - 15 & Oct 18 - 19
    Evansville June 21 - 22

Freedom and Lexington will only have 25m ranges so save your money and bring you 22's

Wasbash has a 400 yd range so 25m and longer
    Evansville will also have longer ranges
    So bring your 22 for the close work and center fire for distance

Come on out and have some fun!! Military and those under 20 shoot free.

Are you a Rifleman or a cook?
    Go to The Appleseed Project for a look see.

Hope to see some of you at the Freedom Shoot.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Evening all,

I just got registered here and found out you were already talking about me. :)
    Seriously, we're hosting the Appleseed shoot on the 19/20 at Freedom and if you're closer to the SE corner of the state Lexington is having a shoot at the same time. Both shoots still have room on the line but please pre-register if possible, besides it saves you the price of a brick of .22 is you do!

I see some familiar names already and will hopefully get a chance to meet more of you FTF. Any questions about the shoot throw my way and I'll do my best to get them answered.

I sincerely believe the training at an Appleseed is a value second to none and you get to meet some of the best folks around.

hawkhavn

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm going to do my best to get to the Freedom shoot. A bit of a drive from up here in the Hammond area, but I hear nothing but good things about these shoots. I'd love to bring my wife and 10 y/o to train as well but we have no one to watch our 3 and 2 year olds.

On the subject of .22lr rifles, I'm bringing a 10/22 and a Marlin 795. Never know if one might go down.

The Marlin ran me 100 bucks brand new from Gander Mountain on a sale and it's more reliable and accurate than a 10/22 as well (Cabelas has this sale once as well). Anyone needing a inexpensive but quality .22lr shouldn't over look one. At half the price of a 10/22 it's a steal.

Hawkhavn: can you recommend a nice motel in the AO and also did I read right that camping can be done on sight?

Thanks in advance!

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Prometheus,

Thank you for coming down. There is the Patriot Inn in Spencer, probably the closest(@15 minutes) and the State Park Inn. A whole slew of motels in Bloomington (@45 minutes).

There is camping at the range, it is primitive at best. McCormick's Creek in Spencer is a state park and quite nice.

Make sure to get a set of 1 1/4" sling swivels for both rifles and an inexpensive USGI sling, you'll be using it extensively. If you need a link let me know and I'll dig one up.

hawkhavn

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Prometheus,

Thank you for coming down. There is the Patriot Inn in Spencer, probably the closest(@15 minutes) and the State Park Inn. A whole slew of motels in Bloomington (@45 minutes).

There is camping at the range, it is primitive at best. McCormick's Creek in Spencer is a state park and quite nice.

Make sure to get a set of 1 1/4" sling swivels for both rifles and an inexpensive USGI sling, you'll be using it extensively. If you need a link let me know and I'll dig one up.

hawkhavn

Thank you for the advice. If I come by myself (or with a friend) a piece of land for a tent is all I need, heck I could just sleep in the back of my SUV if need be ;) But if the wife comes down with me she'd drop em off and spend the day(s) visiting friends about an hour away so I'd need something more suitable for the them.

Thanks for the reminder about the sling swivels, I actually need another set of them. Two is one and one is none. Not that I'm a fan of walmart but in a pinch they sell 1 1/4 swivels for about 7 bucks a pair. Thanks again.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Anything you bring to an appleseed is ok
    The program was first set up with M1A , M1 Garand, AR15, Enfield,03A3, FAL in mind
    But as the cost of ammo has hurt the program any thing you bring would be fine
    The focus on 10/22's with military sights is where it's going to now to keep costs down
    I've had Mini 14's SKS,AK 03a3 M1A,AR's M1,FAL, 10/22's garand even a rem 700 on lines I've instructed
    The whole idea is to get YOU out and teach you basic marksmanship with iron sights
    We do this at 25 years/ 25 meters
    You may say anyone can hit a target at 25M But can you keep all your shots in a 1 inch surare or less???
    I've seen Police & Military instructors walk away from the 2 full days of instruction tired and beat but all said they learned a lot and had more fun learning than they ever had
    Watch??? watch??? what can you learn from watching ?
    If anything else find your self a 10/22 and get down there,A military web type sling & swivels is a plus, bring a shooting mat or blanket,hat dress for the weather plenty or water or drink and ammo and a few extra mags for whatever you shoot and an openmind and just do it!!!
    It may be the best time you've had in years
    When you walk away you will have the skills to take it home and teach others
    I drove 12 hours to attend my first appleseed and was hooked
    I went to 3 more and became an instructor
    Last year was a bad year for me I had to build a barn & lost my dad and it got real busy at home here.
    This year is not strarting out too well as Mom is in rehab assisted living now and I won't make Freedon in 2 weeks but know a few friends that will be attending there.
    But hope to be back on the trail soon
    If you are thinking of going don't think anymore just go Our country needs this program
    The only problem with the program it's just like every other good program............. It's about 10 to 15 years too late!!!
    Farmritch

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    April 19 Update

Shooters,

In less than one week there will be fourteen simultaneous weekend rifle clinics being held nationwide as part of the Appleseed program's celebration of Patriot's Day. Indiana is very fortunate to be holding two of them. Freedom, IN is second in the nation now with 42 pre-registered attendees. Lexington, IN currently has 8 pre-registered. The Freedom range can hold 100 riflemen and Lexington can certainly handle 20-30.

If you need info ask me or look at our website: The Appleseed Project

The weather forecast is great, come out, meet good people, take part in an exciting program and learn an interesting skill. Can it get any better than that? Sure, shooters under 21 and current military shoot free!

hawkhavn

Top Bottom