• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Any updates from the class? How did it go?

Well I want to start out by saying it was much more than I expected. The level of instruction was top notch. I learned more in the first day than I have in my previous 45 years. I took my 16 year old daughter with me and she learned a lot also and had a lot of fun. The first day we got rained on but with the rain gear it was ok. The second day it started out hazy and damp but the sun came out later and it made for a nice day. Ok so how did we do?
    4-19-08
    Target Red Coat
    On this target there are 4 silhouettes 100 Yards 200 Yards 300 Yards and 400 yards with a small rectangle to represent a 250 yards headshot. We shot groups of three into all the silhouettes and 1 shot into the headshot from the prone position. We did this shoot twice this day once early and then again later.
    Me: / / Kadie:
    100 3/3 100 3/3
    200 2/3 200 1/0
    300 1/3 300 0/0
    400 1/2 400 0/0
    HS Miss/Hit HS Miss/Miss
    4-20-08
    Target Red Coat
    Me: / / Kadie:
    100 3/3 100 3/2
    200 3/3 200 3/3
    300 3/1 300 0/3
    400 2/0 400 3/1
    HS Miss/Miss HS Miss/Miss

Army Qualification Test (AQT)
    The scoring for this test is based on 4 shooting stages.
    Stage 1 10 rounds Standing
    Stage 2 start standing with 2 rounds. Transition to sitting/kneeling(for those of us not limber enough to shoot sitting) fire those 2 rounds, reload 8 rounds and finish.
    Stage 3 start standing with 2 rounds. Transition to prone and fire those 2 rounds, reload 8 rounds and finish.
    Stage 4 All shot from prone 10 shots
    Scoring Results: 0-124 Unqualified
    125-169 Marksman
    170-209 Sharpshooter
    210+ Expert(Rifleman)
    Me: 4/19 203 Kadie: 4/19 134
    Me: 4/20 *DQ/205 Kadie: 145/174

* I disqualified my target because because I shot the young man's target next to mine..... not once but twice in the same test. LOL

I thought I was going to make it on the last AQT but on the third stage my hearing protection came out and with it being a timed shoot I shot without it and I think my scores suffered because I was flinching because I was expecting the shot.
    What else did we come away with? Sore bodies for sure and a yearning to learn more and improve our shooting abilities. Anyone who has never done an Appleseed is missing out. If you are hesitant to take your kids don't be this is perfect for them and the instructors make this fun for them. We will go again and try to take friends with us. Even with the weather I can't think of many other things I'd rather have been doing. To all of the instructors I want to say Thanks.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It was GREAT. Don't have time to post more now but I had a blast and improved my shooting 3 fold. Not kidding, my groupings shrunk by 3x.

Got a couple of pics I'll try to post when I can, might not be till tomorrow. I'm tired!

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Thanks to everyone who came out! It seemed everyone I talked with had a great time. Most everyone persevered through inclement weather that easily could have been much worse. Freedom had the second highest number of shooters in the nation and combining with the Lexington, IN crowd Indiana had the highest state numbers. (Barely, CA came roaring up with a bunch of walk ons).

Nationwide there were 527 shooters on the line and at least 62 made Riflemen scores. For those of you that were there chime in and let us know how it went.

The talks around the fires at night were interesting and diverse to say the least. You folks up in northern IN have a good shoot coming up in June at Wabash, IN and the following weekend Evansville follows suit. Start making your plans now. Get some friends to commit to a great weekend.

hawkhavn

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I was only there Sunday but still improved over the day:

If we had a few more hours (or been able to be there on Saturday), who knows, might have made it to the magical 210!

But most important I got to square away a problem/situation with my red dot/iron sights co-mingling and the end result is going to make me much better at both close and long range shooting.

Already marking off the June weekend for the Wabash, IN shoot. Need to order some AQT's to get practicing between now and then.

And as far as I am concerened, Indiana beat CA. We would have had more at one shoot but for our natural hospitality which led us to make it easier for shooters to participate. :)

Hoosiers hold the record for the biggest shoot ever, and continue to reign as the nation's bread and bullets basket.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    It was fun! and met a lot of great folks.

Had been practicing prior to the shoot (six steps to firing the shot) on Red Coats, but it took some hands on training from some great instructors to get the "bugs" out. Saturday morning, I discovered that the scope (yes, my old eyes don't like iron sights) on my 10-22 was too tall. So at lunch time I duct taped a folded washcloth to the stock to get a higher cheek weld - worked perfectly.
    Groups continued to improve all weekend as problems were identified and corrected - breathing, dragging wood, etc.
    And now I know how to use a sling - WOW - what an improvement. More to improve though so YES I'm hooked The Appleseed Trail has got me!!!:)

Saving my pennies for the next one. :do2:

Will try an drag my son with me, (may have to hogtie him, but it's for his own good).

Top Bottom