• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Did I just read up thread a union guy make a generally threatening statement about if they went on strike we would run out of food in 3 days? That is typically what I think of when I think of unions, give us what we want or we will make everyone suffer regardless.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    OK ROADIE, CALEB, do you know what happens if the union I work for decides to strike .... guess what you don't have any food in the grocery stores in three days. Other that want is grow local. Do you have what is nessasary to sustain your family. At the turn of the century there wer on average of 110,000 railroad deaths @ year that were killed in work related accidents , YES 1 HUNDRED AND 10 THOUSAND PLUS. Now please argue that.:twocents:

Oh well, back to the grocery issue.
    As I said upthread, I frequently haul loads from a Teamsters controlled dock.
    These loads just happen to be, yep you guessed it, groceries.
    (Rooster, if this is your shop, maybe you can fix this). You would not believe the amount of Waste! The product is never loaded well. Boxed heavy things stacked on top of soft goods. Pallets not wrapped propery, glass containers left unsecured on the floors or left on top of other things. It seems that to dock workers have no idea that these items must make a 200 mile trip over rough roads and through Chicago traffic before reaching their destination. Want to talk about driving up prices? The spoilage that I see day in and day out causes the the the grocer to have to recoup their investment by raising prices.

I know that one place is not indicative of an entire organization, but theses union dock workers are not what I would call, safe, skilled, concientious of anything of the sort.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Did I just read up thread a union guy make a generally threatening statement about if they went on strike we would run out of food in 3 days? That is typically what I think of when I think of unions, give us what we want or we will make everyone suffer regardless.
    ^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    The law allows workers to unionize. (Wagner Act)

The law allows states to pass Right to Work laws. (Taft-Hartley)

You either believe in "Rule of Law" or you don't.

The rule of law doesn't mean what most people think it means. It doesn't have anything to do with obeying laws.

That something is a law doesn't make it right. It just means there are consequences for disobeying. The discussion here is whether a right to work law should be passed. In the course of that discussion, some of us are expressing disagreement with laws that have been passed that we think are unjust, an example being labor laws.

I'm coming from the position that the Wagner Act IS an unjust law.
    But nonetheless, businesses have been forced to abide by it, with little chance it will ever be repealed.

Taft-Hartley allows the states to pass Right to Work laws, which can at least loosen the extortionary stranglehold that unions have had on business since 1935.
    Which will at least reduce the impact of the unjust Wagner Act.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh well, back to the grocery issue.
    As I said upthread, I frequently haul loads from a Teamsters controlled dock.
    These loads just happen to be, yep you guessed it, groceries.
    (Rooster, if this is your shop, maybe you can fix this). You would not believe the amount of Waste! The product is never loaded well. Boxed heavy things stacked on top of soft goods. Pallets not wrapped propery, glass containers left unsecured on the floors or left on top of other things. It seems that to dock workers have no idea that these items must make a 200 mile trip over rough roads and through Chicago traffic before reaching their destination. Want to talk about driving up prices? The spoilage that I see day in and day out causes the the the grocer to have to recoup their investment by raising prices.

I know that one place is not indicative of an entire organization, but theses union dock workers are not what I would call, safe, skilled, concientious of anything of the sort.

Hey, if the contract just says it has to be on the truck, you're lucky they aren't just throwing it in and using a fork lift to mash it all together.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Will someone break this down for me? and others who have not been following? I heard an ad on the radio that was against the right to work bill, but that's all I know.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/IN/IN1028.1.html

Synopsis: Employee's right to work. Makes it a Class A misdemeanor to require an individual to: (1) become or remain a member of a labor organization; (2) pay dues, fees, or other charges to a labor organization; or (3) pay to a charity or another third party an amount that represents dues, fees, or other charges required of members of a labor organization; as a condition of employment or continuation of employment. Establishes a separate private right of action for violations or threatened violations.
    Now can someone please explain to me how this "Busts" a Union, and will create a mass change to minimum wage throughout Indiana? Anyone?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm hauling another load of groceries up to Chicago today. Should I stop and say Hi to Bauer and the Senate Democrats? Maybe offer to bring their No vote back to Indiana for them? :):

You better call first. If they are voting on a bill the democrats might not be there :dunno:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by mojo2530
    honestly iam a little dissapointed in the responses. this could have been a good debate and a chance to educate or at least understand others views. here is the simple truth as i see it.

the company has the right to hire union or non-union contractors.
    the reason they hire union contractors is because the union contractors are trained and can provide superior workmanship. union shops can provide more man power, a superior product, in a better time frame, whith less injuries, and they can assure the company this.

right to work WILL destroy unions, lower wages, and make the already troubling unemployment numbers even higher.

Pat Bauer said so?:dunno:
    He wouldn't lie, would he?:dunno:

Or they are like the company I work for and have to hire union because if they don't, they will get in trouble with union negotiations. When you work across the nation and work in areas where unions are king, they then dictate what the rest of the company can do in other states by making it difficult for the company. We would like to use non-union in certain cases but can't or the unions have hemorrhoids.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Or they are like the company I work for and have to hire union because if they don't, they will get in trouble with union negotiations. When you work across the nation and work in areas where unions are king, they then dictate what the rest of the company can do in other states by making it difficult for the company. We would like to use non-union in certain cases but can't or the unions have hemorrhoids.

Dealing with a union is kinda like dealing with the Mafia, in fact, it often IS dealing with the Mafia.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Will someone break this down for me? and others who have not been following? I heard an ad on the radio that was against the right to work bill, but that's all I know.

Many unions negotiate contracts that require workers hired by a company to join the union and pay union dues.
    The Right to Work law makes such contracts illegal.
    The unions claim that if membership is not required, the unions will go broke and cease to exist. Since federal law requires the union to represent non-members as well as members, non-members can get representation without paying union dues. The unions can, however, offer other benefits, such as insurance, travel discounts, etc. to induce workers to join.
    Since over 90% of union political contributions go to democrats, Pat Bauer, et al, are trying to block passage of the bill.

mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    Protesters in the gallery later applauded when a Republican county council member and pipefitters union member from northwestern Indiana argued that the right-to-work law went against the party's principles by allowing people to get something for nothing since federal law requires unions to represent nonmembers covered by their contracts.

"Let capitalism take care of itself," said Luke Abbott of Newton County.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Protesters in the gallery later applauded when a Republican county council member and pipefitters union member from northwestern Indiana argued that the right-to-work law went against the party's principles by allowing people to get something for nothing since federal law requires unions to represent nonmembers covered by their contracts.

"Let capitalism take care of itself," said Luke Abbott of Newton County.

I wonder how many of the "Union" employees in that State House are actual dues paying members :dunno:

To Protest Hiring of Nonunion Help, Union Hires Nonunion Pickets - WSJ.com
    So instead, the union hires unemployed people at the minimum wage—$8.25 an hour—to walk picket lines. Mr. Raye says he's grateful for the work, even though he's not sure why he's doing it. "I could care less," he says. "I am being paid to march around and sound off."

Top Bottom