• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Will a Low Wall with a Vernier tang mounted peep sight compete?
    If the rifle is moderately accurate, it is more a question of if the shooter is competitive in prone unsupported. The targets are pretty big, but not so large missing them is an impossibility. Your sighting system should be adequate if you can see the front sight quite well, and the front sight is adequately formed to be able to aim at point targets (ie: a circular front aperture is not likely perform all that well on animal silhouettes).

What's the front sight on the rifle, and does it have a bubble level?

-Nate

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If the rifle is moderately accurate, it is more a question of if the shooter is competitive in prone unsupported. The targets are pretty big, but not so large missing them is an impossibility. Your sighting system should be adequate if you can see the front sight quite well, and the front sight is adequately formed to be able to aim at point targets (ie: a circular front aperture is not likely perform all that well on animal silhouettes).

-Nate
    Bipod or backpack may be used for support.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

-Nate

No level. Post with a brass bead. Very tempting.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bipod or backpack may be used for support.
    Indeed. My mistake! :ugh: That does simplify things somewhat.

No level. Post with a brass bead. Very tempting.

I think you will be fine IF you sight the rifle in for putting the silhouettes on TOP of the bead, not behind it. I have shot Silhouette with a Service Rifle. Posts are tough, but manageable, provided you use the post as illustrated.

-Nate

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Shooting position is prone with bipod or clothing filled backpack. No sandbags, slings, or rear support other than the shooters hand/arm. No heavy glove or other accessory aid. Physically challenged shooters who are unable to shoot prone may shoot from a seated bench.

Questions are welcome!!

Question? What is the purpose of restricting how a person shoots prone? I see some apparatus could give a big advantage to some shooters, but I don't see how a sling would give a huge advantage to most shooters.

Not trying to argue or change the rules, just curious as to the purpose for the bipod or clothing filled backpack only.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Convince them to allow me shoot with a sling, and you will change your mind. And I'm nothing special.

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Questions on slings, sights, etc.....

This event is modeled after the match I shot in last summer. They were in their 3rd year and had 25 +/- regular shooters, enough to develop ability classes. The MD and a handful of shooters treated me to a late lunch (perhaps a cold beer) and offered their best advice. Namely, keep it simple and a level playing field to attract as many participants as possible. A 10/22 or CZ with a 3-9x or 4-12x is good enough. You don't need a $1,000 rig.

Hence the rules and logic behind it:

Any action, but they are all loaded as single shot. It creates an element of "busy work" to add to the mental game of changing dope and target.

No slings or other accessory items- the average guy/gal doesn't know how to utilize a sling. no sling=keep it simple and everyone is equal.

Iron sights? Would love to see your low wall! Targets size and distance would make it very challenging.

90% sure it will be black targets, background at 110 & 165 is sand.

Squaded- allows buddies to shoot together, even share the same rifle. Ditto for couples or family.

Spotter chores--You'll want help from a spotter, and helping the other guy to spot his misses is just the right thing to do.

Scope magnification- not restricted. 9x-15x will be most common range.

Shooting table- for the folks that don't have limbs & joints that work like they did 30 years ago.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This is not a physical event. Nor do you have to be an expert marksman. Nobody is "watching" you shoot except your spotter. Anyone with basic knowledge of changing scope to the correct number or clicks, settle crosshair on target, squeeze trigger, is capable of shooting and enjoying the event. One of the 4H kids is committed, hoping for a couple more.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm trying to round up some folks from Indy to come down to shoot. I plan to attend. Funny thing many people say "why aren't there more shooting events" and when you ask them to attend an event the excuse machine pegs out :):. Getting a new match/format started is hard enough, let's support the OP. Come out and shoot the event and see how it works out. I'm sure adjustments will be made.

On a personal note, I put a scope on my CZ 452 KVM Military Trainer, it just didn't look right, so I may be one of the ones shooting iron sights. I have my back up Savage MKII with a 6-24x Sightron Scope just in case.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Well I am stoked. I couldn't care less what the rules were. I'm there for the challenge. I'm also stoked that having my son attend with me will allow for an effective father son team. Teaching him better marksmanship AND to be a spotter all while on the same team! I'm sold

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Convince them to allow me shoot with a sling, and you will change your mind. And I'm nothing special.

-Nate

Although Rayne isn't flying as many Perry flags as you, she's a dedicated Apple seeder who I assure you will be "on your side" of helping change other people's minds about use of slings and spreading the word of good riflemanship in general. We just need to get people out of the mindset of seeing slings as adding "fanciness" or complexity to an event, but rather as a basic piece of kit for _any_ shooter who wants to shoot well from basic field positions and have fun doing it. Allowing them makes an event more welcoming, not less, we just need to get the word out.

Slings are not there to "game" a sport or steal anybody's joy, we promise!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Some think a sling is only for sling arms to asuage lugging heavy rifles through the wood. Hence the useless padded sling. I especially like the heavy leather ones with a deer imprint.

Some may see it as an unfair advantage.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I don't fly Perry flags at all, really. I admit to being proud of what I've been able to do, though I haven't been there since..geez...2013? 14? And besides that, Perry Nationals are sometimes more about who can AFFORD to be there than they are about who wants to go, or is qualified to legitimately compete. Being frank: I can't really afford it as well anymore; vacation time, money, travel, etc.

Apology if I came across as snooty or whatever. Rayne's response was phrased such that I guess I assumed she did not believe the sling had much use other than as a means to carry the groceries.

I truly am nothing special. I happen to have a good retina, I hold still well, and I like to think I listened okay to my coaches from Wildcat Valley. They were really good to me, and continue to be, so I try to "pay it backwards" by helping teach/mentor where I can.

That doesn't include Revere or Appleseed yet because I tend to have matches in the same general season as those events, and because I don't like the idea of spending 500 rounds of bullets and powder on it. Just being honest: I think the same goals can be accomplished in fewer rounds down range.

I cannot for the life of me think why a shooter would choose to skip at least learning HOW to shoot with a sling. Anything that lets an average shooter achieve near a 1/2 Minute hold and faster recoil recovery (all without any appreciable increase in rifle platform weight or complexity) is a real positive to me.

-Nate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems simple to me. :dunno: Slings are advantageous for stabilizing your shooting platform and tying the shooter into the rifle for optimum field expedient accuracy. This match format chooses not to allow that advantage.

We can certainly adapt to or learn from other's standards, right?
    In pistol matches we are often restricted in how we could best perform to our own skillsets against others. Restricted magazine capacities and required weak hand shooting come to mind.

Top Bottom