• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    1) It has to be subsonic to be worth a damn beyond 50 yards.

2) It has to be quality. Something that says "Match", "Target"...something along those lines.

Other than that, you're stuck with the same old "try lots of ammo" thing in your rimfire. They CAN be finicky. Not all chambers are, but enough are to be notable.

If you just want to be told what to do: Eley.

-Nate

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    1) It has to be subsonic to be worth a damn beyond 50 yards.

2) It has to be quality. Something that says "Match", "Target"...something along those lines.

Other than that, you're stuck with the same old "try lots of ammo" thing in your rimfire. They CAN be finicky. Not all chambers are, but enough are to be notable.

If you just want to be told what to do: Eley.

-Nate

Additionally, different brands of ammo will use different lubes/ wax. This will take a handful of shots or a brief scrubbing to get an accurate representation of that ammo. It only cost me $60 to but a quality sampling of everything readily available in terre haute. Then 1.5 hrs to put 5 round groups on target at 50. Then 30 to create group numbers and rankings using the range buddy app. I've narrowed my possibles to 3 and will do this again at 100 and 150. Besides...I like to shoot

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Very accurate.

I like to run a boresnake through. Seems to grab enough, but not remove all the wax like a solvent.

Funny thing about the good ammo is that it extends the effective range of a .22 about 100 yards. CCI Standard Velocity is still really pretty good for field accuracy as far as 180-200 yards in a good rifle. But the world seems to fall apart at about 225.

The better Eley, RWS, and Lapua ammo does not have this problem.

But if you're going to use one like this in the field, a LRF is a requirement, as is a 10-yard drop chart.

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Targets will be a combination of 1/5 scale and 3/8 scale. Black targets.

at 75yards: 1/5 scale chicken- about 1.5 inches

at 110 yards: 4 targets, 3/8 scale chicken, 1/5 scale pig, turkey, & ram. About 2.5 inches or a bit bigger

at 165 yards: 3 targets, 3/8 scale ram, turkey, pig, (another ram) About 4.5 inches to 5"T x 11"W

Format: Specific order of targets will be listed on scorecard, everyone will shoot the same order. Since there will be 4 banks of targets at both 110 and 165 it is imperative that you shoot targets in the order they are listed on the scorecard. Your spotter will help keep you on the correct target.

1st string of 5 shots: one at 75, 2 at 110, 2 at 165
    2nd string: 2 at 165, 2 at 110, one at 75

3rd string: 2 @ 110, 2 @ 165, one @ 75
    4th string: 1 @ 75, 2 @ 165, 2 @ 110

5th string: 2 @ 165, 1 @ 75, 2 @ 110
    6th string: 2 @ 110, 1 @ 75, 2 @ 165

7th string same as #1
    8th string same as #2

Total of 8 shots at 75y, 4 at each of 4 targets at 110, 4 shots at each of 4 targets at 165

I hesitate to put the order of targets on the net, it looks way more complicated than it really is. In reality, the order is on your scorecard and your spotter will be telling/confirming each target before each shot. I do have it all written down, if you want the specific order please pm with your email or email me Aggshooter@hotmail.com

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Do you have a .22 Rifle?

Does it wear a scope?

If the answers to both those questions is "yes", then you can go and have a good time. I only list the scope thing because it will legitimately be a challenge to see some of those targets without at least 2-2.5x Magnification.

-Nate

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I do have a .22 rifle that I love to shoot. It shoots good groups out to 50 yards, but 165 yards is a long way with a lot of drop.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I do have a .22 rifle that I love to shoot. It shoots good groups out to 50 yards, but 165 yards is a long way with a lot of drop.

You know, I thought exactly the same thing. I thought it was a crazy idea but I had access to everything needed so I Internet sourced drop charts and went to the range and was absolutely surprised at how well the little pipsqueek round did. I've really had a wonderful the trips top three range in preparation for this event. My son is learning patience for the precision and my oldest daughter actually (this may shock you) told me she LIKED shooting the 10/22 because she could hit (silhouette) steel and it was quiet and not brutish.

I'd recommend at least putting it to the test on the range. I've run into a couple guys trying their hand in preparation and nobody is giving Carlos Hathcock a run for his money

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If you don't already have a scope I recommend one with a drop compensating reticle or get a MOA 20 base. My Sightron and Savage MKII combo at 100 yard almosts tops out for adjustment. I shimmed my rings and it's almost dead on at 100 yards with no adjustments (of course the scope reticle was optically re-centered. )

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My CZ has very high rings for NRA silhouette so the scope adjustment tops out too soon. I'm going to shim the scope. My other rifle has a Nikon muzzleloader BDC reticle and it works pretty well. Not perfect, but close enough (hold between the circles or whatever). The CZ drops about 20 inches from 110 to 165 yards with standard velocity ammo. A BDC or mil dot reticle may eliminate some scope adjustments, once you get your drops figured out.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    From what I've tried so far, this goes from hot to not pretty fast. One day I can't miss, the next time out my hit ratio is about 50%. But in perspective, if it was horribly easy with hit rates approaching 100% for newbies, it wouldn't be a challenge. And that's the problem with these type of events....TV shows like Bushnell Brawl or PRS events are all about the winners and only shows the hits but not the misses. You get a 50 shooters and TV only shows the top 3, they never televise the guy having a bad day and only hitting 20-30% of his shots.

Best advise, just come out and try it. Reasonable entry fee, and different from anything else that's offered.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    My vortex El cheapo has plenty of adjustment from a 1"tube for 165. It can't get me to the back berm at Riley without clever holdover. I guess it all boils down to you won't know until you give it a try.

Top Bottom