• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It was unclear from the article whether or not the victim had cut off the enraged driver, and the way I read the article, it implied that if he did cut the attacker off, it wasn't intentional. I've seen plenty of dumb moves in traffic that probably weren't intentional, and I've probably been guilty of a few myself. Bottom line is that we don't know. We do know that an angry driver walked up to a car, busted out the window, and threatened the occupants. To me, the victim would be reasonable to fear severe injury or death. Driving away, if possible, is preferable. However, the original story that I read did not say whether or not that was an option.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    It was unclear from the article whether or not the victim had cut off the enraged driver, and the way I read the article, it implied that if he did cut the attacker off, it wasn't intentional. I've seen plenty of dumb moves in traffic that probably weren't intentional, and I've probably been guilty of a few myself. Bottom line is that we don't know. We do know that an angry driver walked up to a car, busted out the window, and threatened the occupants. To me, the victim would be reasonable to fear severe injury or death. Driving away, if possible, is preferable. However, the original story that I read did not say whether or not that was an option.

Read the story again, yes he said he migh have cut him off. Yes, he busted out the window and threatened him. HE ALSO SAID HE DID NOT DISPLAY A WEAPON. You going to shoot a person. The best you have is intimidation.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    In this particular situation, it's a NO SHOOT, IMO.

The reason? Watch the news video that accompanies the story. The drivers' side window is smashed, a star pattern impact, but not "smashed out", it's safety glass, so the perpetrator did not have access to the occupants and was "only" doing property damage with his bare hands. He breaks through the window and starts coming through it, or opens the door, or produces a weapon, the situation immediately changes and I take him at his word that he intends to kill me/us and now has the means to do so.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Read the story again, yes he said he migh have cut him off. Yes, he busted out the window and threatened him. HE ALSO SAID HE DID NOT DISPLAY A WEAPON. You going to shoot a person. The best you have is intimidation.

By the time you wait to see a weapon, it can be too late. A well-placed fist can maim or kill, especially when there's a difference in age / physical ability. Everybody in that mess was very lucky.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    "Try to keep in mind. Some of us are...
    -out of shape
    -old
    -not trained
    -disabled
    -just ****ing tired
    ...and not willing to put up with *******s anymore."

Also, stop and think, The Victim , might be a Large man 6' 3" 250 lbs is very healthy now, but has a large scar on the left side of his neck. He had cancer, that man cannot take any blow to the neck. Even from a 10 year old little boy. (That man will . )

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So, Indiana's Castle Doctrine law is pretty clear:
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person;
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person’s unlawful entry of or attack on the person’s dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

A 26 year old man gets out of his vehicle at a red light, immediately starts screaming obscenities. "You need to F-ing die" "All you Shelbyville people need to die"
    He approaches your stopped vehicle and proceeds to punch your driver's side window hard enough to break it. And some of you would still choose to not employ your weapon??
    Alright then. Another statistic in waiting.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    By the time you wait to see a weapon, it can be too late. A well-placed fist can maim or kill, especially when there's a difference in age / physical ability. Everybody in that mess was very lucky.

You are a little late with telling me about "by the time I see a weapon". I am a police officer and have have enough sense not to put myself into these messes. There is not enough info listed to consider deadly force. If I had a dime for everyone who told me they were going kill, hurt or beat my head in, I would be rich ... also they wouldn't have to put up bond for intimadation. I also wouldn't put myself into a position that I am cutting off cars while I am driving.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "Most officers get into fights several times a week. They get hit, clubbed, kicked and a lot more"

Irahm, if you are a police officer and you let yourself get CLUBBED and don't discharge your weapon, sounds like you may have been hit in the head one too many times, already. Sorry fella.

By the time you see a weapon......you've been clubbed.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    "Most officers get into fights several times a week. They get hit, clubbed, kicked and a lot more"

Irahm, if you are a police officer and you let yourself get CLUBBED and don't discharge your weapon, sounds like you may have been hit in the head one too many times, already. Sorry fella.

By the time you see a weapon......you've been clubbed.

No it's called situational awareness. I see that you have a combat infantry badge but yet I don't stoop low enough to question any of your tactics you have employed. Yes, I have discharged my weapon in the line of duty (undercover narcotics). Been in a lot of fights and had a dislocated thumb, other injuries and was shot at by unknown people on several occassions. I have even been struck by cars on purpose and also chased by others down our main highway. If you understood, most assaults against policemen and civilians are misdemeanor in variety. Do you really want to shoot a person because of simple battery charges. I think you need to take a class on when to shoot and when not to.

I am sure that "Combat Infantry Badge" is truely something special and I will be the first to say thank you for protecting us. You have rules of engagement the same as I do.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Once again after reading all of the charges, not one was a felony charge. Yes he did a lot of screaming and even got locked up for resisting law enforcement. None of which were serious enough to shoot the person.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    So, Indiana's Castle Doctrine law is pretty clear:
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person;
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person’s unlawful entry of or attack on the person’s dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

A 26 year old man gets out of his vehicle at a red light, immediately starts screaming obscenities. "You need to F-ing die" "All you Shelbyville people need to die"
    He approaches your stopped vehicle and proceeds to punch your driver's side window hard enough to break it. And some of you would still choose to not employ your weapon??
    Alright then. Another statistic in waiting.

Employ? No. Deployed and at the ready? Yes. Ready to shoot the instant he broached the safety glass? Yurp.

IMO, outside my car, with my window intact, an empty-handed 'roid-and-road-rager is not yet an immediate and imminent threat to me and mine, just to my property/car. Regardless of the fact that the guy "deserved" shooting and it would likely be legal, especially given the age and physical size disparity, I would not have fired, just, quite, yet. There is the legal line, then the line that I feel I can live with myself with, and IMO, it was not yet him versus me and mine.

YMMV.

Edited to add: In my mind, this scenario is very, very closely analogous to someone raging on my doorstep, attempting to kick in my front door. I wouldn't shot through the door, but would be planning an appropriate "reception" should he succeed in kicking in the door.

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Employ? No. Deployed and at the ready? Yes. Ready to shoot the instant he broached the safety glass? Yurp.

IMO, outside my car, with my window intact, an empty-handed 'roid-and-road-rager is not yet an immediate and imminent threat to me and mine, just to my property/car. Regardless of the fact that the guy "deserved" shooting and it would likely be legal, especially given the age and physical size disparity, I would not have fired, just, quite, yet. There is the legal line, then the line that I feel I can live with myself with, and IMO, it was not yet him versus me and mine.

YMMV.

I would rep (positive again) you but I just did a couple of days ago. People put too much into this. It doesn't hurt to be ready but be ready for the consequences.

Novabeast69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    I know of a instance where a guy got out of his vehicle and proceeded to come back to the car he had blocked. As he was coming back the driver placed his pistol on dash where it was easily seen. The gentlemans attitude changed and he returned to his vehicle. Be prepared.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Sheepdog,
    Yes, in all fairness, I would add that as soon as the guy exited his vehicle, shouting obscenities, my weapon would have been out in plain sight. IF that was not enough to diescalate the situation and he proceeded to punch the window, then further action would have followed.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    ScouT6a, I agree... only the most deranged would continue to try to victimize someone who has made clear that they are armed and that the scenario will end "victim-less", one way or another. (i.e. turn-and-leave or successful self-defense, no third option)

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm going to be awfully reluctant to fire my handgun from within the car, especially with passengers. I think I would be more likely to call 911 and wait for the attacker to smash me a decent muzzle port or two in the very least. If he doesn't get through the window, then probably no reason to fire and risk your hearing. ?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I'm going to be awfully reluctant to fire my handgun from within the car, especially with passengers. I think I would be more likely to call 911 and wait for the attacker to smash me a decent muzzle port or two in the very least. If he doesn't get through the window, then probably no reason to fire and risk your hearing. ?

Yeah, risking your hearing versus risking your life is a tough call.:ugh:

Jacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    South Central IN
    Could they have got away with it? Probably so, but it would have been a little premature yet to go to the extremes.
    Readiness is a good idea, and so is prudence. Paying attention while driving never hurts too.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Yeah, risking your hearing versus risking your life is a tough call.:ugh:
    Guess I was saying..it's a no shoot imo..If he's on the other side of the glass, I'm assessing risk to my life as pretty low and risk to my hearing as very high. Now if he gets through, its obviously different.

Top Bottom