• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    SW.Ecks, I am glad to hear that you and your family are doing well and didn't get hurt in the altercation. You used your firearm in a defensive manner, which is the reason we carry them. Sounds like you are a very responsible gun owner. I say that because I probably would have fired until I saw spray. But you fired with the intent to hit, but only fired three rounds. :+1: The best part of this story is, 1) you had your pistol on you; 2) you deployed it after the threat was returning; and 3) you didn't have to "rack" the slide. Great job and blessing to you and your family.

:+1: Good job OP.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Leeches that they may be, what kind of threat does a leech that is running away pose to you? The answer: NONE
    And that's what matters in court if by some chance you did hit them or god forbid someone else.

Legally-speaking you may have a point, but there is something to be said for giving the human gene pool an occasional cleaning, where it's warranted. These guys not only threatened the OP, they threatened to come back. That alone warrants neutralization, whether frontal or dorsal, in my book.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Everyone that is recommending that the OP practice shooting more have probably never pointed a loaded gun at somebody in a self defense situation. I know when I did, I was shaking like a dog ****ting peach seeds. I can shoot steel and paper pretty well too. I do however think If the situation ever arises again I will be able to better control my nerves.

I wish you would have hit them.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My cousin and I were installing a boiler at a house in East Chicago on Thursday, at about 10AM we went out to the work van to get some tools and two black guys walked up to us and asked if we had change for a $20. We both said no, and one of them pulled out a Glock, racked the slide, and told us to give them everything in our wallets. We did and they said, "don't call the police because we know where you're at, have a nice day". They started walking away, got about half a block away and turned back around and started coming back. I drew my SW1911, told them to stop and fired one round. It looked like he still had the gun in his hand so I fired another round, and they took off around the side of the building, and my cousin and I took off around the other side because my grandpa (who we're working for) was in the front of the building. I got up there just as the second guy did (I guess the first one already got across the street), and told him again to stop but he didn't, so I fired another shot and he ran back behind the building and disappeared. We called the cops and when they got there they had the second guy in a squad car already, but he changed out of the NY jacket and black hat into a different jacket and a white doo rag. We told the cops we weren't sure if that was him or not, so they let him go. About 20 minutes later, we went back to work and the cops knocked on the door. They had the same guy again, except this time he had on the NY jacket and the same black hat he wore when they robbed us. We're unsure if they got the other guy, but I'm sure he'll talk soon if he hasn't already. They got $5 from my cousin, and $90 from me, but my grandpa paid it back to me. We're just glad we didn't get hurt, and hopefully they'll both get what they deserve.

-1 for 3 shots fired in a neighborhood and no dead bad guy.

Glad no one was hurt. Especially anyone backstopping the BGs you missed.

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    Tight work. I'm glad the good guys are ok. The only thing I would like to add if it's ok is-before you carry your gun adjust your sights while training and shoot, shoot, shoot until sight picture for your weapon is second nature. I would personally never carry a weapon I didn't feel somewhat confidant with. You may have had two downed BG's. I'm not judging. I pray that if I were in your situation that day that I could be that calm and cool. Excellent job. +1

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My understanding of our new laws in Indiana is that we have no obligation to retreat from any place where we have a lawful right to be when attacked. A job site where you are working would constitute such a place. Also the fact that the BG was still moving around in your space after he initiated a felony smacks clearly of a continuing risk of death or grave bodily harm for you and you had every right to open fire, even if his back was to you briefly. (How long does it take someone to wheel around and fire a fatal round into you?) Now on the matter of your carry piece: I could never get used to carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry cocked and locked. I'd be especially leary of doing so while working. I've gone to Glocks in 3 different calibers because if the trigger is covered they are absolutely immune from an accidental discharge, even when dropped. I've read a few stories about guys carrying 1911s C&L and accidently knocking the safety off without realizing it. Anyway, good job, brother. (BTW are you UA?)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    My understanding of our new laws in Indiana is that we have no obligation to retreat from any place where we have a lawful right to be when attacked. A job site where you are working would constitute such a place. Also the fact that the BG was still moving around in your space after he initiated a felony smacks clearly of a continuing risk of death or grave bodily harm for you and you had every right to open fire, even if his back was to you briefly. (How long does it take someone to wheel around and fire a fatal round into you?) Now on the matter of your carry piece: I could never get used to carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry cocked and locked. I'd be especially leary of doing so while working. I've gone to Glocks in 3 different calibers because if the trigger is covered they are absolutely immune from an accidental discharge, even when dropped. I've read a few stories about guys carrying 1911s C&L and accidently knocking the safety off without realizing it. Anyway, good job, brother. (BTW are you UA?)

so do 1911s go off at random if the safety gets flipped off? doesn't covering the trigger still apply? and what about the grip safety?

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    My neighbor said,Instead of running after them, you could have yelled, Hey you dumb**s you forgot some money and pop um when they came back. lol
    Get that gun to the range and practice, practice, practice. Glad you are ok.

James

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    so do 1911s go off at random if the safety gets flipped off? doesn't covering the trigger still apply? and what about the grip safety?

Not at random but it could accidently discharge if it were pulled out of your holster by being snagged on something or hitting the floor. OP said he was working and carrying. I've installed boilers large and small and it's easy to snag a pant leg, sleeve or belt on a sharp edge of a cover. Also, during a draw the trigger is much more "hair" than a glock.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Don't listen to the cry babies! Get those sites right. I worked that area under cover before retiring, and there is nothing but low life slugs in most of that area. I have been in several shoot outs with some of that crud that likes to take from the hard working people and the old and weak. More people need to stand up too those puke heads. Wake up people, stand up and fight back. Take my money, I'll be shooting you in the back, the side, the knees, the ears, where ever my rounds go. It has to stop and has to start with those that are armed, and not AFRAID!! Why carry a firearm. Not to let some thugs take the money you work hard for. Praise too you for fighting back. I'll always fight back, and take the chance that maybe I'll be found dead, but there will be a big pile of brass found around me. Stand up fight back!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom