• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Then why is it "not wise" to carry a Glock?

I did not say it wasn't wise to carry a Glock. They work great for police, who have a big OC holster. I'm saying it is simply dangerous to push a gun without a safety into the holster when the holster is tight up against the body while wearing loose fitting, multi-layered clothing--and that's exactly what most of us CC'ers wear. Extra caution is required, and with good reason. If the real possibility of shooting yourself in the leg doesn't make you uncomfortable, then you are more of a man than I.

I have a Glock, and I am not comfortable carrying it loaded unless I put it in the IWB before belting up. Its all the same once it is in the holster, and in a perfect world it would never leave the holster, but that is not reality.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I did not say it wasn't wise to carry a Glock. They work great for police, who have a big OC holster. I'm saying it is simply dangerous to push a gun without a safety into the holster when the holster is tight up against the body while wearing loose fitting, multi-layered clothing--and that's exactly what most of us CC'ers wear. Extra caution is required, and with good reason. If the real possibility of shooting yourself in the leg doesn't make you uncomfortable, then you are more of a man than I.

I have a Glock, and I am not comfortable carrying it loaded unless I put it in the IWB before belting up. Its all the same once it is in the holster, and in a perfect world it would never leave the holster, but that is not reality.

Are you serious about this?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes, have you not heard of people shooting themselves in the leg (or close calls) when a shirt gets into the trigger guard, and the trigger is engagaed by just pushing the fun into the holster?

Pushing the "fun" into the holster. I think I see your problem....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My question is: Do you carry (open/concealed doesn't matter) with a round in the chamber? Do any of you share this concern?
    When I was a n00b, I felt the same way. I took the advice I was given and in short order, my apprehension dissolved.
    I was told to carry my intended firearm in the manner it was meant to be carried (in my case, cocked and locked) but go ahead and keep the chamber empty for a little while... as a test, just to see if that hammer would ever fall.
    Guess what... It didn't.
    No amount of bumping door frames, seat-belting over it, or unholstering/reholstering made the hammer fall when it was not supposed to.
    It instilled a confidence about it...
    Give that a whirl.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did not say it wasn't wise to carry a Glock.

netsecurity said:
    IMHO concealed carry with a Glock, or similar striker fired pistol without a safety, is not wise, especially with an IWB holster

netsecurity said:
    I'm saying it is simply dangerous to push a gun without a safety into the holster when the holster is tight up against the body while wearing loose fitting, multi-layered clothing--and that's exactly what most of us CC'ers wear. Extra caution is required, and with good reason.

So what that should really say is it isn't wise to carry a Glock if you're too cheap to use a proper holster and too inattentive to pay attention to clearing your holster when putting it away. You should question the wisdom of anyone carrying any type of firearm if they meet that criteria.

jonlong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    United States
    You also don't need to go with one or the other 100% of the time. You can pick one as your default, and then either chamber or empty for situations that call for it. Just remember what your status is.

Im sure this position will get criticism by people who will argue that your carry procedure should be 100% consistent all the time.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You also don't need to go with one or the other 100% of the time. You can pick one as your default, and then either chamber or empty for situations that call for it. Just remember what your status is.

Im sure this position will get criticism by people who will argue that your carry procedure should be 100% consistent all the time.

Not criticism per 'se... But in super duper higher stress adrenaline dumping situations (as a situation where you'd need your gun RightThisSecondOrI'mGoingToDie would be...)... Then wouldn't having a similar manual of arms between carry platforms be most beneficial...rather than needing to remember to flick a thumb safety off?

My carry guns are all point and click interfaces. If I ever have a thumb-safetied gun (besides the Shield - it doesn't count) again, I'll either not use the safety (DA/SA like a Beretta or CZ), or not carry it (1911).

high stress - default to a level of training. ALL of my training has been done with point & click interfaces.

So - no. I generally don't advocate folks switch up their carry weapons, especially if they have substantially different manuals-of-arms. To ME, that's just asking for trouble.

But all in all - you all can carry how ever you want. Chances are slim that I'll need MY gun. And chances of me needing you and YOUR gun are even more slim. Just don't be the dude who forgets the manual safety when you really need it. That'll suck.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I keep reading people tell him to keep a round in the chamber when hes out and about. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE DOING THIS THEN DONT! Thats an accident waiting to happen. An easy practice and training for this is to wear your gun with a round in the chamber when you are at home or where you know there is almost a zero chance you will have to draw your weapon. Get used to the idea knowing there is a round there.
    I agree with what you are saying, but I also think if a person wants to carry, then they should get comfortable with the idea of a chambered round. I mean, if the way they conduct themselves may be dangerous, then they need to change the way they conduct themselves. As my above post pointed out, there are a million different reasons as to why you may not be able, or have time, to rack the slide.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

..and you would be right. What situation calls for an empty chamber? Again, if you're that scared of your gun, carry a revolver with the hammer over an empty. At least then you're just reducing your capacity by one and still have a gun ready for a fight.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I had a near ND with a Glock. When I was holstering it, the trigger got caught on a loop in my jacket. As I pushed the gun into the holster I could feel the resistance grow. That was when a light went off in my head. I pulled the gun out from the holster, removed the loop, and then very carefully slid the gun into the holster.

So, no, I didn't shoot myself and get the famous Glock through the thigh wound (entrance wound around the upper thigh on the side, exit wound around the knee), but that was because I was extra cautious. You can carry a Glock in your IWB if you're always focused when you reholster.

You can still have an ND in your holster even with a gun with a safety, but you do have a little more margin.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    So what that should really say is it isn't wise to carry a Glock if you're too cheap to use a proper holster and too inattentive to pay attention to clearing your holster when putting it away. You should question the wisdom of anyone carrying any type of firearm if they meet that criteria.
    :+1:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As I pushed the gun into the holster I could feel the resistance grow. That was when a light went off in my head.

Which proves that Bingley pays attention when he reholsters. Bingley didn't have a NEGLIGENT discharge because Bingley wasn't negligent. Pay attention, kids. Bingley gets a gold star in Glock 101 today.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wheels with tires on them scare me - so I keep my tires in the trunk and drive on the wheels. I figure if the need for tires arises - I can always stop and put them on real quick.

Top Bottom