Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. There is no sense in it, especially if he can pick up that Ruger for $500.

1. Agreed. It is b/c of the price compared to everything else I've seen, and Ruger being a top-tier name, by my sense of reading. :coffee:
    2. I don't want to buy it now, but b/c of price, I must. :laugh:
    Even though it is above my usual price point (+/- $300) for quick resale, even I will buy the proverbial
    "$1000 gun for $500" or even the $2000 gun for $1500, but I don't have the knowledge to do so at this point, which is why I ask.
    I probably ought to pm certain individuals I have confidence in their knowledge and they know me well enough not to recommend something to me on the level of $100,000 car that is above my $25,000 school-teacher waiting for retirement tastes. :lmfao:
    3. There are some CZ and Sig guns that make me wonder if I'm on the right track with sticking with my perceived "Toyota Corolla" tier of guns,
    but Smith and Wesson has been good to me, which are most of mine with a Ruger GP100 22LR in the mix ($600 + tax) along with the hated Taurus name (but I had to get that 22 magnum SS monster of a revolver 2 weeks ago, and if I can never sell it b/c of it being a Taurus: lesson learned).
    4. I wanted to buy a SS 38 special Taurus revolver for only $250 this week from a member here, but after research and reading of people's issues: I didn't: risky).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Personally the lowest end I would go in a 1911 would be a Colt Competition Pistol or a Springfield Armory Range Officer. But they are about $800-$900, granted no one ever said a 1911 "done right" was going to be cheap either.

1. I'm not there where I need the "best" and I realize how quickly money can be dropped on that quality, but that is not me, which is why the Smiths and Rugers get my attention, but as I learn, perhaps I'll change.
    2. From my collecting of antique cars in another lifetime (owned 6 at
    1 time
    b/c I had a little money from a house sale, and thought I'd make money and enjoy a life's dream: made money on two, broke even on two and lost on two). It was a $5000 lesson, and difficult at the time, but in looking back at it: worth every penny of happiness and experience. Another HUGE lesson: I should have bought one for $10,000 instead of 6 for $10,000. I would have enjoyed it more and lost less $$$.
    3. Also, another hobby when my son was young: collecting comic books and Star Trek memorabilia. B/C of space, I should have bought a few very expensive comics instead, I have thousands of comics left over to sell (after selling some for quite a little profit), but I just don't have the time to pursue it. I could sell them cheap anytime, but I want to make a little money.
    :dunno:

The SR1911 was my gateway drug to the 1911 scene. For the price, it's hard to beat. As mentioned, be aware that it might lead you to step up to the next level (and so on).

3. That is my fear! I don't need another "gateway" drug for acquisition right now with a car to buy (pay cash preferred way, since I think interest is of the Devil :laugh:) and we are recovering from buyiing a house and all the "upgrades" that demands, plus, saving up for retirement.
    4. I must be in a position to sell all at anytimeif $$ needed for life and its rigors.

Wish I could have found that deal when I bought mine, would have saved me over 200 bucks. Like others have said, you won't find a better 1911 for that price. Skeletonized trigger and hammer, nice wood, series 70, looks good and functions great.

5. I hope that it is still available after work Monday, but I'll live if it isn't, cars and guns: their is always another deal in the future. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And it is now marked sold. No idea if OP got them to in fact hold it or someone scooped him. It was NOT me who scooped it up and I did NOT post any URLS to where it was.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Hopefully he got it.
    If he didn't, that is what happens when there are threads about good deals posted on an open forum.
    It will be interesting too see if it pops up for sale here or on armslist from someone trying to make an easy $150.
    I have seen used ones listed at $650 repeatedly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    And it is now marked sold. No idea if OP got them to in fact hold it or someone scooped him. It was NOT me who scooped it up and I did NOT post any URLS to where it was.

1. I just saw where it had sold, and I was hoping that Chris had marked it that way knowing I was coming after work to buy it.
    2. I have bought 4 or 5 guns from him, but he's serious about not holding a gun for anyone. :crying:
    3. Someone was waiting when the doors opened to grab it. :ugh:
    4. Oh well, I've bought so many guns in the past month and I was getting it just b/c it seemed so awesome in price compared to everything else, but I really wanted the 9mm 1911 for less expense to shoot anyway (got to keep up my cheap-arse reputation. :laugh:
    5. There is now 2 guns I regret not getting: this one and a Kimber 1911-22 Stainless steel full size (none of that 85% crap like Browning does). :dunno:
    6. I can't believe the bad timing. I had to take my wife to get signed up for a fitness club that afternoon, and we spent the morning looking at headboards.
    She was supposed to be gone that Sat. but had a cancellation: :wallbash:
    7. Now, I will never buy one for more than $500, especially if it is not SS and full size,

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. I just saw where it had sold, and I was hoping that Chris had marked it that way knowing I was coming after work to buy it.
    2. I have bought 4 or 5 guns from him, but he's serious about not holding a gun for anyone. :crying:
    4. Oh well, I've bought so many guns in the past month and I was getting it just b/c it seemed so awesome in price compared to everything else, but I really wanted the 9mm 1911 for less expense to shoot anyway (got to keep up my cheap-arse reputation. :laugh:
    5. There is now 2 guns I regret not getting: this one and a Kimber 1911-22 Stainless steel full size (none of that 85% crap like Browning does). :dunno:
    6. I can't believe the bad timing. I had to take my wife to get signed up for a fitness club that afternoon, and we spent the morning looking at headboards.
    7. Now, I will never buy one for more than $500, especially if it is not SS and full size,

#7....then you will never have a nice 1911. Just that simple.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Sorry you missed it. I was looking forward to the review.

My methodology: determine what you definitely want, then decide on what you are willing to pay, then go on the hunt and be ready to jump on it when those things align. Constantly chasing price on such a widespread array of items and buying simply because something is a good price just wears me down too much.

However, you seem to thrive on the hunt, and you also are good with flipping something for the next thing, so it must be working for you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the heads up on the deal. :rockwoot::ar15:

1. Enjoy.
    2. And, lesson learned.

3. I personally think you are just pulling my chain, but if not: I can't wait to tell the story, I have friends who will die laughing at my naivete.
    4. Oh well, I saved $500 plus $35 tax and the cost of the 3 boxes of ammo I was going to put through it.
    Now I can save it for my Smith Shield and not have to buy any more 45 acp
    5. I have the capacity to look on the bright side when it is "things." At my age, good health is the premium: literally.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    #7....then you will never have a nice 1911. Just that simple.

It is part of his "fossil" mindset. In his mind he will never pay more than $500 for a nice 1911.
    That situation will most likely never present itself again, as we are squarely in the "Trump Slump", it is dangerous posting a good deal on something that is available locally.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. I can live with that.

No you cant.....:p

Seriously, getting into 1911's can and is a spendy thing one has to prepare for. But after you actually make the leap you will always wonder what took so long. Nothing out there is better but so much out there is cheaper. I really hate the word cheap. I hate it. Less expensive is OK. (I can see the posts already...:):)
    If one day you care to do so you can come along and run some real guns. You will be amazed.

I have friends that tear up the course with plastic. They run them well and run them hard. I love to watch them. But I am a real steel old scholl kind of guy.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I can live with that.

Just don't settle for a bad one... a reasonably priced one that will run is ok (that Ruger would have squarely fallen into the reasonably priced and would run category). A bad one (won't run, breaks due to poor quality, etc), will just sour you on them. Many years ago in my youth, before I was well informed, I bought a couple of the worst examples known to man. Have not owned one since. I have seen some great examples posted on INGO and some fine work done produced, but I think it's just too late for me on the 1911 front.

Top Bottom