Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just don't settle for a bad one... a reasonably priced one that will run is ok (that Ruger would have squarely fallen into the reasonably priced and would run category). A bad one (won't run, breaks due to poor quality, etc), will just sour you on them. Many years ago in my youth, before I was well informed, I bought a couple of the worst examples known to man. Have not owned one since. I have seen some great examples posted on INGO and some fine work done produced, but I think it's just too late for me on the 1911 front.

"Sissy"

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Well, yeah. I'd love to own a DW, or a Wilson, or even a fine AllenM or some of the work I see coming out of Cree. But once you go plastic fantastic, and have kid in college and another about to start, etc it gets a bit hard for me to justify.

I still have never been to Indiana Gun Club, just so I can avoid looking at that which I can't throw down the cash on. Plus I have this crazy issue with buying at least 2 of stuff I'm going to carry. That would just be bad.

That Ruger would have been about my speed (on cost and being what I'd consider serviceable) but just not in my now narrowed scope of view of what I am interested in these days (My wallet thanks me for it).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry you missed it. I was looking forward to the review.

My methodology: determine what you definitely want, then decide on what you are willing to pay, then go on the hunt and be ready to jump on it when those things align. Constantly chasing price on such a widespread array of items and buying simply because something is a good price just wears me down too much.

However, you seem to thrive on the hunt, and you also are good with flipping something for the next thing, so it must be working for you.

1. As my wife knows, it ALL about the hunt.
    2. My needs for guns are low, like when I started out: a range 22LR and a 38 carry.
    3. One thing led to another and when I discovered I could buy low and sell low w/o issue (usually 1 day: my record is 10 minutes).
    4. To me it isn't costing anything if I know I can sell quickly (like the $500 Ruger SS 1911 5" barrel Gov't. model).
    5. Those things that I want long term I will and have paid more for than I normally would.
    6. Renting guns at the range (only $10/hour for as many as I have time for) helps.
    7. To me, it is all about price, if it is going to be fun.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1. Money is always an issue, for most of us anyway.
    2. I don't one person that has been in this hobby (or other hobbies for that matter) that hasn't lost a little bit of money from time to time.
    3. When I do "lose" on a gun, I remind myself of all the "wins" I have had.
    4. You can't take them or money with you when you depart the planet.
    5. You do seem to enjoy what you are doing.
    6. Keep buying, posting, and reviewing.
    7. Lastly welcome to :ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, yeah. I'd love to own a DW, or a Wilson, or even a fine AllenM or some of the work I see coming out of Cree. But once you go plastic fantastic, and have kid in college and another about to start, etc it gets a bit hard for me to justify.

I still have never been to Indiana Gun Club, just so I can avoid looking at that which I can't throw down the cash on. Plus I have this crazy issue with buying at least 2 of stuff I'm going to carry. That would just be bad.

That Ruger would have been about my speed (on cost and being what I'd consider serviceable) but just not in my now narrowed scope of view of what I am interested in these days (My wallet thanks me for it).

And you are a wise man for staying this course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2. I don't one person that has been in this hobby (or other hobbies for that matter) that hasn't lost a little bit of money from time to time.

1.....As with any serious hobby/passion we do because we love it at some level.
    2.....I am one that can not leave anything alone. I will make it better even if I do not. Makes sense to me.
    3.....All of my pieces get Hot Rodded at some level. This prices me out of the market as to using the classifieds.
    4.....Every time I purchase something I am not doing it to make money. I know full well I will be lucky to break even unless I do some serious trading.
    5....I am kind of liking this new posting format.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1.....As with any serious hobby/passion we do because we love it at some level.
    2.....I am one that can not leave anything alone. I will make it better even if I do not. Makes sense to me.
    3.....All of my pieces get Hot Rodded at some level. This prices me out of the market as to using the classifieds.
    4.....Every time I purchase something I am not doing it to make money. I know full well I will be lucky to break even unless I do some serious trading.
    5....I am kind of liking this new posting format.

1. I am enjoying the new posting format as well
    2. I too do not buy items with the intent to make money on them, I usually break even, there have been a few times in the past 30 years that I have bought something "right". And when it came time to sell made a little. And I have lost money as well, when I needed/wanted to move something quick.
    3. I did make money during the panic, selling on gunbroker. But we as a community and gun owners did not know what the final outcome was going to be.
    4. So I only sold a gun and mags that I knew I would NEVER regret selling if I were never able to replace them. In fact I only sold 1 gun a Bushmaster ACR.
    5. I see why Gary posts like this, it is fun and straight to the point.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. While I completely encourage you to buy a 1911(s)...

2. you could probably find an decent Smith Wesson 4506 for $500 - $600 (there was one in the classified I while back that I had considered for ceracote project). Might not be cosmetically perfect for that price range but they will usually run forever and shoot about as soft as any 45 acp...

3. The ergonomics and look works for some people - not for others. Generally people seem to try a Third Gen SW and hate it or try it and end up with safe full.

4. Just a thought. You do seem seem to like the hunt and the research. Third Generation Smith and Wessons can be quite a rabbit hole to fall into!

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Ok, I just found the numbered, bulleted text formatting option in the Advanced Options.
    2. Never knew what I was missing out on.
    3. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

A. Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup:
    B. Now that I am home (stopped by a different small gun shop for fun but I'll never go back), I am surprised that I am a little "bummed" out that I missed the "bargain" that I had found even though all logic says, "de nada."
    C. I thought I was going to have a little fun on someone else's dime since I thought I'd play with it and if I didn't fall in love with it, sell it and make $100.
    D. The logic of "can't take it with you" has never meant anything to me b/c of the concept of scarcity: we always want more than we can afford and so we must exercise discipline.
    E. Since my enjoyment is directly correlated to the money I spent, I cannot overextend myself for the short term and have to pay in the long term: no joy in it.
    F. I could buy the Lexus, but I don't b/c if I buy the Corolla, and will have money for other pursuits (guns just happens to be one of 9 months in duration): there have been others. :laugh:G. As a teacher that has always made less money than my friends, I haven't been able to keep up with the cars, houses, vacations and dozens of other money-consuming avenues.
    H. But, b/c of behaving myself, I can participate. For example, I have a friend who has $40,000 invested in 1 gun (don't even remember what he said it was).
    I brag on getting a $400 gun for $300: pitiful, but it is still fun. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A. Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup:
    B. Now that I am home (stopped by a different small gun shop for fun but I'll never go back), I am surprised that I am a little "bummed" out that I missed the "bargain" that I had found even though all logic says, "de nada."
    C. I thought I was going to have a little fun on someone else's dime since I thought I'd play with it and if I didn't fall in love with it, sell it and make $100.
    D. The logic of "can't take it with you" has never meant anything to me b/c of the concept of scarcity: we always want more than we can afford and so we must exercise discipline.
    E. Since my enjoyment is directly correlated to the money I spent, I cannot overextend myself for the short term and have to pay in the long term: no joy in it.
    F. I could buy the Lexus, but I don't b/c if I buy the Corolla, and will have money for other pursuits (guns just happens to be one of 9 months in duration): there have been others. :laugh:G. As a teacher that has always made less money than my friends, I haven't been able to keep up with the cars, houses, vacations and dozens of other money-consuming avenues.
    H. But, b/c of behaving myself, I can participate. For example, I have a friend who has $40,000 invested in 1 gun (don't even remember what he said it was).
    I brag on getting a $400 gun for $300: pitiful, but it is still fun. :dunno:

Now you are switching it up to lettering your lines just to mess with us. :draw:

I feel you on most of this. For me alot of it is about opportunity costs as well. I make decent money, but wife works an extremely part time almost non existent gig, etc so there is always competition for the $.

And I get it on the Ruger. I was a bit bummed you didn't get it as well as I was looking forward to the range trip review of it, though one day you might think about doing a torture/endurance test of a single gun, just kidding, I know you'd never make it on that before the next one came along.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Now you are switching it up to lettering your lines just to mess with us. :draw:

I feel you on most of this. For me alot of it is about opportunity costs as well. I make decent money, but wife works an extremely part time almost non existent gig, etc so there is always competition for the $.

And I get it on the Ruger. I was a bit bummed you didn't get it as well as I was looking forward to the range trip review of it, though one day you might think about doing a torture/endurance test of a single gun, just kidding, I know you'd never make it on that before the next one came along.

1. He did switch from numbers to letters.
    A. He is having fun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Found the same gun at Hoosier Armory, and not in quite as pristine condition: $700.
    2. No, I'm not going to call and offer them $500 for it b/c I have irritated Rick too much already by getting him to come down on guns (bought 1 new and 1 used).
    3. He gave me a lecture on supply and demand 2 weeks ago when I visited his new shop in Noblesville when I was trying to buy a new Taurus PT22 stainless for the price he had advertised but was not available anymore at that price (then change it online :dunno: ). I had to listen to a supply and demand speech. I just wanted to buy gun at the price posted. :dunno:
    4. A couple of Saturdays ago I was there and was willing to give a group bid in a used Taurus PT22 ($200), Browning Buchmark ($400ish) and a new Windicator stainless steel ($340) (or nickel) .357. I figure for 1 used gun 10% off was a "regular" deal, and if buying multiples, it should extend more (15% - 20%), but I'm a dreamer.
    convert

$600 on Armslist, and I found a $700 one as well:
    7794013_01_ruger_sr_1911_45_640.jpg

But, I'm over it and not even tempted.
    I was swayed by the $500 pricing, but there are other things I want that I will shoot more, carry more and the like.
    I hope Point Blank will get their Smith and Wesson 1911 45 acp in the rental section so I can at least experience the 1911 experience in that caliber.
    Then I would hope to do so in 9mm as well sometime in the future.

Next is one for $650:

light weight commander n45cal very clean. New houge grips with original grips. 2 mags one is extended. Black hawk holster. 60 rounds. Open to trades.
    7929846_01_ruger_sr_1911_light_weight_com_640.jpg

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The good and the bad about the gun hobby, guns usually hold their value.
    We all know it, so when it comes time to sell one, we can usually get most or all of our money back.

It has also been my experience in shops, they do have overhead and tight margins on new guns.
    Maybe he feels since he has given you a couple of deals, maybe you should just pay his asking price? It would help build the relationship, instead of him always lowering the price for you.
    Just like everything in life, it never hurts to build a relationships. He may have more of a chance coming across Beretta Inox .32 before you do. If he knows you want one, he may call you first and offer it to you before listing it.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The good and the bad about the gun hobby, guns usually hold their value.
    We all know it, so when it comes time to sell one, we can usually get most or all of our money back.

It has also been my experience in shops, they do have overhead and tight margins on new guns.
    Maybe he feels since he has given you a couple of deals, maybe you should just pay his asking price? It would help build the relationship, instead of him always lowering the price for you.
    Just like everything in life, it never hurts to build a relationships. He may have more of a chance coming across Beretta Inox .32 before you do. If knows you want one, he may call you first and offer it to you before listing it.

1. Very sound reasoning and processing: I couldn't have done better. :laugh:
    2. I have that relationship with Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield (where the $500 Ruger 1911 45 acp was), and his prices are always sweet on used guns (I have bought 4-5 guns there since May, and would have bought 4-5 more but they are sold before I can get there).
    3. Rick at Hoosier Armory beats Chris a little on new gun prices (I wonder if that will change now that he has a shop instead of a garage), but noone beats Chris at used gun prices (in my limited experience).
    4. B/C of the overhead that shops must have plus taxes, is why I buy off individuals to save on both ends.
    5. I usually only buy from a shop when it is something I really want that I haven't seen used ($300 S/W M/P Compact 22 at Rural King) or the S/W Airweight 22 magnum revolver that I didn't know even existed: total impulse buy: everyone should be proud that I'm capable of such non-planning and non-overthinking, but of course, ashamed of me that it was in the 22 family. :lmfao:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1. Very sound reasoning and processing: I couldn't have done better. :laugh:
    2. I have that relationship with Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield (where the $500 Ruger 1911 45 acp was), and his prices are always sweet on used guns (I have bought 4-5 guns there since May, and would have bought 4-5 more but they are sold before I can get there).
    3. Rick at Hoosier Armory beats Chris a little on new gun prices (I wonder if that will change now that he has a shop instead of a garage), but noone beats Chris at used gun prices (in my limited experience).
    4. B/C of the overhead that shops must have plus taxes, is why I buy off individuals to save on both ends.
    5. I usually only buy from a shop when it is something I really want that I haven't seen used ($300 S/W M/P Compact 22 at Rural King) or the S/W Airweight 22 magnum revolver that I didn't know even existed: total impulse buy: everyone should be proud that I'm capable of such non-planning and non-overthinking, but of course, ashamed of me that it was in the 22 family. :lmfao:

I can't tell you, or remember the last time I bought from a shop. It has been years, I almost always buy on the secondary market, and sell that way too.
    Better deals for sure, and I have burned about 4 times too. Where I have had to send guns back to the factory for repair after shooting them.
    The most notable were two different Bushmaster AR's (not the new ones guys). Having the rear sight cranked all the way to the right and not hitting.
    The barrels of both rifles needed re-indexed. Bushmaster never charged me a dime for either repair, I was inconvenienced by not having the rifles, and they did pay shipping both ways. I suspect the sellers both knew this, yet did not disclose it. Those occurrences happened about a year apart. After my first experience, the second time around I knew what the issue was before contacting Bushmaster.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    In my previous post I was trying to convey that not all sellers are as honest as we would like them to be.
    So you do have to be careful when buying used. As you may have to send something back to the factory for repair.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In my previous post I was trying to convey that not all sellers are as honest as we would like them to be.
    So you do have to be careful when buying used. As you may have to send something back to the factory for repair.

1. As I have learned, also!
    2. Read an online eval by Guns and Ammo how they put all the small 9mm to the test and in the top 3 for being "perfect" or nearly perfect was the Taurus Slim 709.
    3. Mine I bought used at Marksman Shooting Sports and it jammed nearly every magazine, so Chris (owner) sent it back (no charge) but we never got it back after months: he refunded my money (paid $180) and took the loss. Taurus won't even return his calls about it?????????? How strange is that?????
    4. I bought a used Sig 1911-22 ($200) from a member here, He stated he hadn't even fired it, but he had upgraded some internals from CW Accessories. It fired OK, but I couldn't disassembly to gun. I had to take it to ZR Tactical Solutions in Noblesville and they had to literally CUT out the guide rod b/c the parts from CW didn't fit properly: $100.
    5. Bought a 9mm Charter Arms revolver recently ($280) at Marksman, and the shells wouldn't come out of the cylinder after 5 rounds of cylinders. Chris sent it back and we are waiting for it to return. Cost me $25 in 1-way shipping.
    6. Lesson: never buy a used gun w/o a good warranty.
    7. I have some Berettas, but understand they stand behind them. I am buying a Beretta Neos 22LR today after work from a member here, so I assume it will be "straight" since he should have checked me out (I always do others here when buying from them), and he would know I will "tell all" if it is crap from the get-go.
    8. I'm buying 2 guns today after work (both in Carmel and both Berettas, go figure), so I intend to use up a free range pass I have for Tim's Shooting in Westfield after picking up both guns in Carmel: report coming, but noone will care (Neas and Taurus PT22). I'm buying the Taurus only b/c it's stainless and I can't help myself. I have put in offers on a couple of Beretta Tomcats (.32) b/c they are inox, but everyone wants $400 and I will only pay $300 (maybe $325 if box and 2 magazines.

Top Bottom