Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Range report: just got back from an 1.5 hrs. at the range.
    50 minutes of just the Ruger SR 1911 and my S/W M/P Shield: both .45 acp.
    After 50 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and switched to my new 1911-22, but that's another thread.

Conceptually, I hate to say this b/c I will lose any goodwill I have built up, but you must know I'm a strange bird, a half-a-bubble-off type of person.
    Shooting the Ruger SR did not provide anymore joy than anything else, and it is my most expensive gun.
    I knew after shooting gmcttr's Dan Wesson and his Ruger SR 1911s that I didn't need to buy a 1911 .45 but I didn't mind doing so for the right price to see if I would want to replace my Shield 45 with a Ruger (b/c I would not keep both unless I kept the Shield 45 for CC, but I'll probably keep the Shield 9mm for that; I haven't decided yet).
    I could sell the Ruger tomorrow, but I don't mind keeping it to try out more in case I think I need to sell the Shield 45 instead, but since I have less than half the money in the Shield, if everything else is equal in my enjoyment of the 45s, I'd sell the more expensive one, just as a good business model. :lmfao:
    I enjoyed shooting the Shield as much as I ever did (my first .45), and the Ruger 1911 did not bring any more pleasure than the Shield.

I put about 3 boxes through them. I wrote down the accuracy of each to compare.
    The Ruger was shooting consistently low for me; I had to learn to bring the dot up past the 2 dots a hair, instead of keeping the 3 dots level.
    I shot at 5, 7 and 10 yrds.
    Sometimes the Smith was more accurate by 1 shot/magazine, but then sometimes the Smith was: fairly even.
    I used Federals 230 grain, PMC 230 grain and Blazer 230.
    I think I posted that there were 4 mags total, but there is 5, with 2 being 10 shot mags.
    I do love looking at it the 1911, being a stainless over boring black composite, and it is 39 oz (I think I read), and the Shield feels so light in comparison, but I still really like the Shield, and would hate to part with it.
    Something has to go, though, I have too many guns and there are more out there that I "need" to try out. :dunno:

No.....you need to work out.....:):

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Maybe you’ve seen this chart before but it can be helpful. Not saying control is an issue but just something to consider. I know that I have better trigger control in 1911s and nice SA revolvers. Striker fired triggers give me trouble sometimes.

892ad8159eec74b9f237e9c15bb27011.jpg

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    mcapo: priceless! Thanks so much.

This will give me pause and thought b/c I totally am willing to admit the weak link is me.
    Just like every Glock I've fired shoots low (about a half-dozen), including gmcttrs' new Glock 19x (I think the "x" goes in there).
    That would make the case that it's me since I doubt continues to make all their sights incorrectly. :dunno:

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe you’ve seen this chart before but it can be helpful. Not saying control is an issue but just something to consider. I know that I have better trigger control in 1911s and nice SA revolvers. Striker fired triggers give me trouble sometimes.

892ad8159eec74b9f237e9c15bb27011.jpg

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

They had tbis chart on the wall of point blank in the range. Excellent info!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    mcapo: priceless! Thanks so much.

This will give me pause and thought b/c I totally am willing to admit the weak link is me.
    Just like every Glock I've fired shoots low (about a half-dozen), including gmcttrs' new Glock 19x (I think the "x" goes in there).
    That would make the case that it's me since I doubt continues to make all their sights incorrectly. :dunno:

It takes a little practice with different pistols to get used to the trigger, grip angle, sights, etc.

For a point of reference here is a group I shot the first or second time out with the 19X at 50' with my wrists rested on a sandbag. Keep in mind I tend to shoot glocks off to the left until I get my grip and trigger finger placement correct.

rbuQU3b.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It takes a little practice with different pistols to get used to the trigger, grip angle, sights, etc.

For a point of reference here is a group I shot the first or second time out with the 19X at 50' with my wrists rested on a sandbag. Keep in mind I tend to shoot glocks off to the left until I get my grip and trigger finger placement correct.

rbuQU3b.jpg

1. 50 feet!!!!!! I can't even see the bullseye at that distance. :laugh:
    2. To me, that is an unbelievable grouping for that yardage.
    3. I would be a 21 feet to get that, literally: I couldn't do that at 30 feet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report 2nd time with Ruger:

45' = group of 5-6" but all left and low

30' = 5 rounds were in a group of 5", and shots were low, but not left

15' = all rounds in a 5" group and all low

Deduction: need to learn how to adjust sights

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

rbuQU3b.jpg

It's all the Glock Marksman Barrel. :lol2::rofl::rofl::lol2:

Just kidding...That is a fine 50' grouping.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Range report 2nd time with Ruger:

45' = group of 5-6" but all left and low

30' = 5 rounds were in a group of 5", and shots were low, but not left

15' = all rounds in a 5" group and all low

Deduction: need to learn how to adjust sights

According to the pie chart (trying to keep it in teacher mode here), low and low left looks like it may be tightening your grip or fingers right before you fire.
    If it is a sight adjustment issue, I'm sure the owners manual has instructions on how to do so. I know you like to read. Right?

I just like to "pop in" on your threads from time to time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    According to the pie chart (trying to keep it in teacher mode here), low and low left looks like it may be tightening your grip or fingers right before you fire.
    If it is a sight adjustment issue, I'm sure the owners manual has instructions on how to do so. I know you like to read. Right?

I just like to "pop in" on your threads from time to time.

1. I laughed through the whole reading.
    2. I will even do some resting on the bench next time if I remember to take something to rest on, but since it is so consistent of left, but not on other guns I shoot, but maybe its b/c this is a man's .45, not like some of my others, but I do shoot my Shield .45 and 9mm w/o it doing that (I think), better go check my notes :dunno:
    3. Owners manual? I thought that was foreign currency. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I laughed through the whole reading.
    2. I will even do some resting on the bench next time if I remember to take something to rest on, but since it is so consistent of left, but not on other guns I shoot, but maybe its b/c this is a man's .45, not like some of my others, but I do shoot my Shield .45 and 9mm w/o it doing that (I think), better go check my notes :dunno:
    3. Owners manual? I thought that was foreign currency. :laugh:

Agreed with Gunner... and the guns you are comparing have different trigger mechanisms (striker fired vs 1911 Single Action vs DA/SA, etc and different ergos combined with that). Anyone can shoot most any gun, but the nuances of good trigger finger and putting hits to POA is often different on each.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took pics to list the Ruger 1911 last evening but never got to putting it up b/c by the time I got done doing it for my Henry rifle: I was done.
    Takes 2 hours to get an ad on here and I even have "imgur" that quickens the process, and after all the "leg" work is done it only takes 10 minutes to put it on Armslist.
    I sell mostly on Armslist, even though I post here also. (less discriminating buyers on Armslist? :laugh: )

It gives me pleasure to look at, handle and shoot the Ruger 1911, but in the shooting it gives no more pleasure than many other of my guns.
    Selling it will pay for 2 of my other purchases that I "must" keep.
    If I kept one of my .45s the Shield 45 cost half, so I could keep it if I "needed" to do so, but if I'm not going to carry the Shield .45 (have my 9mm and need small for CC) I could man-up and keep the Ruger for the range, but I'm not going to keep buying ammo for a .45 when I don't need it to shoot and have range fun.
    I planned to sell both of my .45s and just do an occasional gun rental if/when I felt the need.
    I am grateful for the experience, though: I learned much.

I even put in an offer on another .22LR last night, but have not heard anything: which illustrates where my heart is and how sick I am. :wallbash:
    It shall go nameless at this point, just trying to replace something I have with Stainless, so I would be selling the non-SS.
    I must raise money for my newer purchases (and any future ones when I stumble onto a "must" have. :nono:
    When I have time I will check last year's statistics ($$) and add in this year's (buying/selling) to see how bad the damage is: I'm in denial, but done deep in my heart I know, but don't want to say (noone here would be impressed since it is under $$) :popcorn:
    At one point last year I had sold and many as I had bought: not working out this year, I can hardly remember selling anything this year: Smith SD9VE ($300) and a Ruger Single 6 ($300).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Ruger got a reprieve from being listed for sale this evening b/c I sold the Henry Rifle today and I just didn't want to spend the entire evening getting the ad with pics done.
    I'm not going to be available Friday evening or Saturday so I didn't want to list it since I usually sell w/in hours (less than a day nearly always).
    I don't know whether the Ruger 1911 will take longer due to their being so many 1911s out there for sale.
    The 5 magazines (w/2 being 10 shot) will be what sells it. I will list it for $700 when I get around to it.
    If it doesn't sell right away, I simply get to go to the range with it more.
    I can't find my piece of paper that listed the 4 or 5 upgrades that came with it and I can't remember what they were (something about the trigger and safety I vaguely remember).
    I'll search my thread again to see if I listed them, but couldn't find the list last evening.

Found it: p.10:

The upgrades were:
    skeletonized trigger
    target sights (I was not impressed)
    combat hammer
    Extended safety
    extended beavertail

But, I'm wondering if these come with the gun b/c of the model or did the previous owner have it upgraded?
    Anyone?

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Ruger got a reprieve from being listed for sale this evening b/c I sold the Henry Rifle today and I just didn't want to spend the entire evening getting the ad with pics done.
    I'm not going to be available Friday evening or Saturday so I didn't want to list it since I usually sell w/in hours (less than a day nearly always).
    I don't know whether the Ruger 1911 will take longer due to their being so many 1911s out there for sale.
    The 5 magazines (w/2 being 10 shot) will be what sells it. I will list it for $700 when I get around to it.
    If it doesn't sell right away, I simply get to go to the range with it more.
    I can't find my piece of paper that listed the 4 or 5 upgrades that came with it and I can't remember what they were (something about the trigger and safety I vaguely remember).
    I'll search my thread again to see if I listed them, but couldn't find the list last evening.

Found it: p.10:

The upgrades were:
    skeletonized trigger
    target sights (I was not impressed)
    combat hammer
    Extended safety
    extended beavertail

But, I'm wondering if these come with the gun b/c of the model or did the previous owner have it upgraded?
    Anyone?

I'm assuming it's the target model? Can't remember from your previous post... https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6736.html

If so, would be factory.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm assuming it's the target model? Can't remember from your previous post... https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6736.html

If so, would be factory.

1. Sorry, I don't know the nuances of the different models, just that it is:
    Ruger SR 1911 .45 Gov't model, 5" barrel, SS
    2. Very much Appreciate you trying to help out.
    3. If it "standard" I don't know why they acted like it had been updated; they should have just said it is the model that comes with these accessories.
    4. When I called back to have them tell me what the upgrades were when I lost the list, and they had no clue, which I thought was strange if you did that for a living.

5. Just looked at the linK: great stuff to put in an ad when I do it when I get back from out of town.

Top Bottom