Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    And I thought you were over 1911's after shooting mine...lol

Although their "used" price was jacked up, you did alright at $600. yesnod.gif

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    gjsoba9m.jpg

Very Nice! I also have a preference for SS...maybe some nice wood grips?!

I was almost ready to bet you jumped on a Rock...:): If you have one and like it most cool.

I will leave this right here for you...

JSqc6rh.jpg

CM - Where is the extractor?

Perfect trigger pull! It just looks like a smooth runner!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    And I thought you were over 1911's after shooting mine...lol

Although their "used" price was jacked up, you did alright at $600. View attachment 64196

1. Me too! But since you didn't let me borrow your 1911s for a month :laugh:
    2. But, for the right price, I will buy about anything for the experience.
    3. Don't know whether I'll keep it, there could be something else I'll "need" and I can't take any more $$ out of savings and keep the marriage. :dunno:
    4. Perhaps I'll fall in love and have to go back and get the Dan Wesson: NOT :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to go to the range tonight after work to put rounds through my "new" Ruger 1911, and my upgraded and never shot 1911-22 but I can't get away. :dunno:
    I'll get away Saturday after "chores" or by Sunday pm even if I have to skip church in the am. :laugh: (that was humor; my wife would sell my guns off if I behaved so poorly :lmfao:).

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You guys are a bad influence. Springfield in the Classifieds and appears to be a great price.

If I had loose cash, I'd be divorced. I bought 2 guns in about 2 weeks. 3 total in the last month or so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys are a bad influence. Springfield in the Classifieds and appears to be a great price.

If I had loose cash, I'd be divorced. I bought 2 guns in about 2 weeks. 3 total in the last month or so.

If you are referring to the RO I saw that. If I was nut Butt deep in a custom 1911 build right now I would be very tempted.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since buying my "new" Ruger 1911, I have seen $500 Rugers (not SS), and other $600 - $800 1911 .45s including the one of which you speak.
    Saw a couple of Smith and Wessons that seemed nice and priced right also.
    And, a Remington for $500, but I read mixed reviews on them.
    I wish I could have bought off an individual and not paid taxes, and I had to pay a 3% "convenience" fee (using credit card), which adds insult to injury to the concept of buying of a shop vs. and individual.
    But, I was willing to pay more to get the SS since it is part of the "joy" factor for me.
    Unlike me to be so illogical, but I have my weakness, and since I think I will sell and get all my money back: it doesn't bother me but only a little to tie my money up in a gun that I bought just to make sure I didn't need another .45 instead of my Shield that I love, but it is the only 45 I've ever owned, but after shooting a few at the range: I'll keep it for the $275ish I have tied up in it ($320 minus $50ish of ammo).
    After shooting jmcuttr's Ruger and Dan Wesson 1911s at the range, I knew I could live w/o one, but for $600ish I had to make sure. :dunno:
    I might take it to the range for an hour and be done with it, or, like my Shield 45 that I bought not needing since I have my Shield 9 I will keep long-term, I will sell the Shield 45, but I like it too much to do yet.
    Plus, I was going through my ammo tonight and I have been buying alot lately, and I ended up with about 800 rounds of .45 acp, so let the range fun begin! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I guess I am not up to speed, when did U.S. Currency take on "ish" denominations?

Purple implied.

1. :laugh: I know you just be pulling my leg but just in case: "ish" after a number means it is not an exact number: Example = $600ish is anything "around $600 ($550 = $675).
    2. There. I did it: it was the teacher in me addressing what might be a "gap" in your cultural numerical exposure, but I'm going with: humor. :rockwoot:
    3. By the way, I have my own "gap: What does "purple implied" mean? :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On the forum, typing in purple means sarcasm.

1. Well, don't I feel stupid! :ugh:

When? When my wife asks how much that gun was.

2. I'm there right with you. :laugh:
    3. Last evening I was "confessing" buying the Ruger 1911 (leaving out the price when she asked), but did "forget" to tell her about the 1911-22 that I bought an hour earlier. :dunno:

My suggestion would be to take some time to train with the 1911. You've handled and shot ALOT of different platforms. Give the muscle memory a chance to decide if you are destined to worship at the JMB alter...

4. I even googled "JMB" but it wouldn't go to the website at work to read what that is: I am such a newb. :baby: (gun radio show, gun magazine or some communication about guns?)
    5. I didn't think I'd be able to go to the range after work, but the wife says friends are coming over at 6pm, so I have time to make the connection, so the muscle memory starts this pm in 4 hrs. That gives me something to live for today.
    :D (in my otherwise boring life)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report: just got back from an 1.5 hrs. at the range.
    50 minutes of just the Ruger SR 1911 and my S/W M/P Shield: both .45 acp.
    After 50 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and switched to my new 1911-22, but that's another thread.

Conceptually, I hate to say this b/c I will lose any goodwill I have built up, but you must know I'm a strange bird, a half-a-bubble-off type of person.
    Shooting the Ruger SR did not provide anymore joy than anything else, and it is my most expensive gun.
    I knew after shooting gmcttr's Dan Wesson and his Ruger SR 1911s that I didn't need to buy a 1911 .45 but I didn't mind doing so for the right price to see if I would want to replace my Shield 45 with a Ruger (b/c I would not keep both unless I kept the Shield 45 for CC, but I'll probably keep the Shield 9mm for that; I haven't decided yet).
    I could sell the Ruger tomorrow, but I don't mind keeping it to try out more in case I think I need to sell the Shield 45 instead, but since I have less than half the money in the Shield, if everything else is equal in my enjoyment of the 45s, I'd sell the more expensive one, just as a good business model. :lmfao:
    I enjoyed shooting the Shield as much as I ever did (my first .45), and the Ruger 1911 did not bring any more pleasure than the Shield.

I put about 3 boxes through them. I wrote down the accuracy of each to compare.
    The Ruger was shooting consistently low for me; I had to learn to bring the dot up past the 2 dots a hair, instead of keeping the 3 dots level.
    I shot at 5, 7 and 10 yrds.
    Sometimes the Smith was more accurate by 1 shot/magazine, but then sometimes the Smith was: fairly even.
    I used Federals 230 grain, PMC 230 grain and Blazer 230.
    I think I posted that there were 4 mags total, but there is 5, with 2 being 10 shot mags.
    I do love looking at it the 1911, being a stainless over boring black composite, and it is 39 oz (I think I read), and the Shield feels so light in comparison, but I still really like the Shield, and would hate to part with it.
    Something has to go, though, I have too many guns and there are more out there that I "need" to try out. :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom