Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Doddg, next time you are going to be up by cabelas in Noblesville let me know. We can get together and I'll let you fondle what can be done to a ruger 1911 by churchmouse. If I have time, we can go to tims and shoot it. If I don't have time, you can borrow it and shoot it on your own.

Edit to add: I'm not a 1911 expert. He can tell you more about what was done to it than I can. As a noob, I have an idea, but not the specifics

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. I have the kind of job now that I would just keep it I was able to work part-time.
    2. I have only 30-50 students per day instead of 240 since I work in an Alternative Education setting now.

3. Do you work out of your home or have a shop?
    4. Do you work on anything? Do you charge by the hour or an upfront price to do repair work or upgrades?
    5. Good to know someone I would trust, if I buy a used gun and need help with it.
    6. I'm betting that the Taurus PT22 stainless that I bought and the owner sent it back with the trigger/hammer issue is a quick fix with some small piece broken or out of adjustment.
    7. Feel free to pm me to talk if you don't want to appear mercenary posting here (not bother me in the least).
    In fact, I'll pm you my cell if you'd rather talk instead of typing: just ignore it if you'd rather do it online.

1911's. That is about all I care to mess with these days. I have the proper tooling and knowledge.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg, next time you are going to be up by cabelas in Noblesville let me know. We can get together and I'll let you fondle what can be done to a ruger 1911 by churchmouse. If I have time, we can go to tims and shoot it. If I don't have time, you can borrow it and shoot it on your own.

Edit to add: I'm not a 1911 expert. He can tell you more about what was done to it than I can. As a noob, I have an idea, but not the specifics

1. Wow! Such generosity of time and material, and I take it as such a compliment that I am totally trustworthy (and I will say since my youth).
    2. Once in another lifetime (in my 30s) I contracted to paint a teacher house from school (took 100 hours) for his restored MG and he let me have it in the Fall and I didn't paint his house until the following Summer: now that is trust and I still love bragging about that one :laugh: ).
    3. I would want to wait until you did have time to go shoot it at Tims to maximize the time with another INGO member, but I really appreciate the compliment of trust with your beloved Ruger 1911.
    4. This summer or even Spring Break might be a time to do that, or even a Saturday or Sunday, but I'm not as flexible if my wife has a "to do" list :dunno:, and perhaps you are in the same boat. Again: thanks!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    No problem. He took the time to show me what a good one was, so I'm just doing what he would want done. Introducing a new shooter to the platform and the world of tricked out toys. :)

Let me know when you have time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1911's. That is about all I care to mess with these days. I have the proper tooling and knowledge.

1. Sorry to hear that you have reached the point in life where you can afford to be "picky." :laugh:
    2. You must not do this to earn a living but for fun and pleasure with a little profit mixed in to be the perfect hobby (sold a few comics for hundreds and even thousands of dollars in an earlier life: the best kind of hobby: it doesn't cost in the long run only the short run (remind you of any other hobby I've got :dunno:)
    3. Now, down to business. I'll bet you'd be a good person to buy a 1911 from, even if it was a Rock Island or Remington or Zenith or other lesser brands b/c you could stand behind them keeping them in runnnig condition for a noob like me.
    4. Or, would that get expensive and I'd be better off buying one more expensive from the get-go. Just trying to see if I could get a less expensive brand w/o suffering a loss.
    5. I guess this means you won't be working on my tip-up barrels when they need attention. :laugh:
    6. I thought maybe I could buy those Kahrs I mentioned if you worked on guns. :popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. Sorry to hear that you have reached the point in life where you can afford to be "picky." :laugh:
    2. You must not do this to earn a living but for fun and pleasure with a little profit mixed in to be the perfect hobby (sold a few comics for hundreds and even thousands of dollars in an earlier life: the best kind of hobby: it doesn't cost in the long run only the short run (remind you of any other hobby I've got :dunno:)
    3. Now, down to business. I'll bet you'd be a good person to buy a 1911 from, even if it was a Rock Island or Remington or Zenith or other lesser brands b/c you could stand behind them keeping them in runnnig condition for a noob like me.
    4. Or, would that get expensive and I'd be better off buying one more expensive from the get-go. Just trying to see if I could get a less expensive brand w/o suffering a loss.
    5. I guess this means you won't be working on my tip-up barrels when they need attention. :laugh:
    6. I thought maybe I could buy those Kahrs I mentioned if you worked on guns. :popcorn:

I have multiple revenue streams so yes I have become a bit picky. Also getting the parts for odd ball pieces takes too much time. Hard to charge for that.
    But I will be glad to look at any thing you have with an issue. Sometimes it is just a simple fix.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI

Save up the extra 200 and just go get a new one. You wont regret it. It's a great gun!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I still can't take my eyes off the $700 Ruger SR1911 that Hoosier Armory has but I know they won't come down to that $500 mark that Marksman Shooting Sports had going last Saturday, $600 possibly

For $700'ish you could get a new Ruger 1911 and no sense in messing with buying used from a shop at that point, and I know you were looking for one in 9mm (for ammo costs, etc) so you can pick your caliber... and can pick your poison on officer model, commander sized, or full sized, target sights or not, etc. The difference in sales tax between Hoosier Armory and these would cover the cost of FFL and shipping

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-tgt-9mm-5-sts-9rd.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-ofc-9mm-3-6-dt-8rd.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-9mm-ss-alum-4-25-9-1.html

Or you could go 45 ACP for less than $700 https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-45acp-ss-4-25-8-1-fs.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-45acp-ss-wd-5-8-1-fs.html

Comes down to what you want... and Grab a Gun has been good to go. USDS does $15 transfers... just sayin'

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

One thing I have learned over the years is not to try and get someone to work on something they don't want to work on...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. My chores are done for the day: drilling holes and bolting in a Queen headboard we bought used (since my wife and I are cheap). :dunno:
    2. Then we went to pick up 2 bar stools which I had to assembly (retail $800 for both and paid $180, b/c my wife and I are cheap: see a theme here? :laugh:).
    3. Took the wife to LA Fitness and now I can get back to my online friends. :cheers:

I have multiple revenue streams so yes I have become a bit picky. Also getting the parts for odd ball pieces takes too much time. Hard to charge for that.
    But I will be glad to look at any thing you have with an issue. Sometimes it is just a simple fix.

4. That goes into long-term memory. Is it a secret what side of Indy you are?

Save up the extra 200 and just go get a new one. You won't regret it. It's a great gun!

5. $710 at Hoosier Armory 45acp w/5": barrel:
    convert

For $700'ish you could get a new Ruger 1911 and no sense in messing with buying used from a shop at that point, and I know you were looking for one in 9mm (for ammo costs, etc) so you can pick your caliber... and can pick your poison on officer model, commander sized, or full sized, target sights or not, etc. The difference in sales tax between Hoosier Armory and these would cover the cost of FFL and shipping

6. You are so right, a 9mm would be more to my liking (though I've been told got to get a 1911 in a 45) and a full size 5" barrel
    :
    Ruger's
    SR1911 Target pistol 9mm = $752
    Barrel Length 5"
    This is a pic of a Ruger 1911 9mm that is 4.25" (didn't have pic of the 5")
    convert

7. I'd rather buy local even if it was an extra few bucks: it's all about the relationships to me (that's worth something and why I like Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield: small family-owned business).

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-tgt-9mm-5-sts-9rd.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-ofc-9mm-3-6-dt-8rd.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-9mm-ss-alum-4-25-9-1.html

Or you could go 45 ACP for less than $700 https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-45acp-ss-4-25-8-1-fs.html

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-45acp-ss-wd-5-8-1-fs.html

Comes down to what you want... and Grab a Gun has been good to go. USDS does $15 transfers... just sayin'

I've never been able to figure out those gun sites yet (auctions and the like).

No problem. He took the time to show me what a good one was, so I'm just doing what he would want done. Introducing a new shooter to the platform and the world of tricked out toys. :)
    Let me know when you have time.

8. It is a great thing to pass it forward. I owe so much in my life to the kindness of a few people from the time I was in High School through college.
    9. I asked the wife about Monday but she has the day planned. And just so everyone knows: I like her better than my guns. :lmfao:
    It will have to wait, I'm afraid. I don't know if you want to target a day after work, or a weekend, or when off work (I'm a teacher). I'm off in March the last 2 weeks, but I don't mind going after work (I get off at 2:30ish).

One thing I have learned over the years is not to try and get someone to work on something they don't want to work on...

10. If they are a professional: it shouldn't matter; they will do right by their work. :coffee:
    11. Of course, that is if they have the training; I'm sure they would charge more for the "inconvenience," though. :laugh:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

5. $710 at Hoosier Armory 45acp w/5": barrel:

10. If they are a professional: it shouldn't matter; they will do right by their work. :coffee:
    11. Of course, that is if they have the training; I'm sure they would charge more for the "inconvenience," though. :laugh:

I hit a few shops myself today, hitting Copper Ridge, Fort Liberty, Plainfield Shooting Supply and even went over to Bradis (first time in since Mark left) to talk to Kenny about some Trijicon HD's for my M&P.

Plainfield has a new Ruger full size 1911 45 ACP for just a few bucks over $700. Might have been like $719 or so, didn't really look real hard. Point is, you an get a new one for not much more than $700, even locally.

Also, you might ask at your favorite shops what they charge for an FFL transfer fee. That's as good a way to build a relationship as buying directly from them, if they are a good shop. USDS on the southside is a great shop and they are as happy to do a transfer as they are to sell you a gun. Those URLs I gave you are not auctions, but straight up purchase and ship to your FFL and you complete the 4473 at the FFL. I have purchased from Grab-a-Gun and did the transfer at USDS. That experience was head and shoulders above the RKGuns experience.

As far as being professional, it is the ones who are professional enough to say no to certain types of work and know their strengths that you want doing the work, rather than the guy who will accept anything and bubba it up. I'm not talking a shop per se but a craftsman who does it for the love of doing it.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Met a guy at the range who has a Rock Island 1911 and loves it.
    He paid $400 for it and put 1500 rounds through it.
    That is the 3rd person who has spoken highly of them.
    Interesting.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a Springfield Range Officer 9mm & a Rock Island Combo 1911. The Rock Island ran just as reliably as the Springfield. The Springfield was a lot nicer quality though.

If if I wanted another 1911 and I knew I would keep it or wanted to build a custom with it, Springfield is about as cheap as I would go. If I wanted a cheap 1911 that I could play with until I got bored and then move it down the road, I would consider another Rock Island.

The worst I can really say about it is that the Rock felt cheaper than the Springfield, not surprising given the Rock was 40% cheaper to buy as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I stopped by Hoosier Armory to look on the way home from buying a 1911 22LR at ZR Tactical Solutions (146/37) :dunno:.
    You are not going to believe what I bought there: I don't.
    This is where the Dan Wesson 1911 .45 was $1000, and they had a Ruger SR 1911 .45 Gov't. model for $700.
    Both of these guns I shot when I met gmcuttr at the Point Blank range in Greenwood last week.
    Since I lost out on a $500 Ruger at Marksman Shooting, and another I found for $600 was sold, I was going to pout and not get one b/c I lost out on a $500 and wasn't going to pay alot more to get one.
    I moved on, even bought another 1911 22LR to replace my Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I traded for a Judge.

They sold the $700, I guess, b/c the one they had today was marked $900 (b/c of upgrades).

Wu4gt6vm.jpg
    XrmkCcmm.jpg
    gjsoba9m.jpg

EvnLhklm.jpg

The upgrades were:
    skelitonized trigger
    target sights (I was not impressed)
    combat hammer
    Extended safety
    extended beavertail

I couldn't believe the price of $900 (don't believe the upgrades could be worth that much). :ugh:
    I told them how yesterday when I checked their website they had one that looked just like this for $700 and I was here to offer $600 for that one, of which the sales guy (not Rick the main owner) told me since they just marked it down from the listed "sticker price" and Rick wasn't going to go that far. (to what: $800?)
    I told him I understood.
    I let him know I was interested in one priced like the $500 at Marksman and was prepared to go $600 on the $700 one they had online (at this point I was not convinced this was not the same gun (both marked 95%) that simply had the retail "shop" price and that online things were listed less expensive, but other used guns were marked the same as what I saw online and there in the shop.

I had made up my mind that I would not be paying $1000 for a Dan Wesson (even though I was told it was a $1500 gun) b/c I wasn't ready/needed that level and maybe never will.
    I didn't want to get the Rock Island $400ish type (recommended by mulitple people to me in private conversation) b/c if I could get a Ruger for $500 - $600, it would be easier to sell when the time came than a $400ish Rock Island (imo).

The Ruger level seemed perfect for my tastes (I definitely wanted SS and not a blued one, also).

Sales guy asked me if I wanted him to ask Rick about a $600 offer and I told him Rick might slap me (I have bought off his shop before (new and used), but I'd walked out and not bought anything b/c of a business lecture of supply and demand (which as an Econ teacher I could appreciate :laugh: ), when I have tried to get too good of a deal (his opinion not mine :lmfao:).
    He came back after talking to Rick and said $600 plus taxes.
    I already knew it was going to be "plus taxes" and not "out-the-door."
    I thought he'd come back with $650 or even $700.
    I wasn't going to do it at more than $600 and Rick knew it (knew I was that cheap!).

So, I am the proud owner of it. Can you believe it came with 5 magazines total!!! The kind of extra value I crave (consolation for not having the original box).
    I just so happened to buy some .45acp ammo (and some .380 acp) off individuals Saturday and this evening (before I went to ZR or Hoosiers: busy evening), so I will be able to shoot aplenty at the range when I get there.
    Fcz8a8Im.jpg
    rYdcr9ym.jpg
    sgn4jGZm.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom