• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The feedback is that they're two different guns. Be happy..... buy both !

1. I am trying to behave myself, plus my wife will see a retail buy on the credit card, and I try to shield her from such. :rofl:
    2. Just the other day, I sold a gun and partial funds were put into my Pay Pal account, and I told my wife since that is my "gun fund" I need for her to give me the cash.
    3. She just smiled. I do love her smile, but I wish I had that $$ in my hand b/c I have a CZ Omega to pay for. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So it ends up at $334 out the door. I'm a little nervous about buying it when I'm not sure I want it over the HK or the Walther. I wonder if I don't take it out of the box until I decide what I really want if I can get $330 or so back?
    Heck, my wife talked me into buying it. I have plenty of "gun money" from the sale of my CZ and when I told her I could buy this and something else, she said it's a "no-brainer!"
    I do love her.:)

1. Words that I'll never hear from my wife! :laugh:
    2. I believe one .22LR and one .38 special she was fine with, then there was the one 9mm, then there was........................................

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Smith and Wesson market value is WAAAAAAYYY Down they are trying to create some cash it looks like so they must be dumping guns so low its unreal. I worry about the future of the company honestly. Customer service and repair will be non existant if they go under. SO in that case what will parts availability be like? I dont think it's a bad gun at all but there are many things I dont have to worry about since i carry a glock

I get the concern, but I've still got the Glocks in the safe, as well as a couple of extra M&P Compact 2.0's behind the Compact 2.0 I'm carrying. I didn't get rid of anything for the M&P, just had to pick up holster and some additional mags for it. It's a quality gun, and when you consider that you can put a set of Trijicon HD's on it and still be under the price of a Gen 5 Glock, it's worth a try.

I haven't shot a Gen 5 yet, but the Compact 2.0 just seems to point better for me than either my Gen 4 or Gen 3's. I contemplated a Gen 5 because I wouldn't need to buy a holster or any additional mags since I was stocked up on all the Glock accessories, but the price difference on the Compact 2.0 helps cushion the cost of a new platform.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Smith and Wesson market value is WAAAAAAYYY Down they are trying to create some cash it looks like so they must be dumping guns so low its unreal. I worry about the future of the company honestly. Customer service and repair will be non existant if they go under. SO in that case what will parts availability be like? I dont think it's a bad gun at all but there are many things I dont have to worry about since i carry a glock

Really, TT? C'mon, man. I can get online and get parts for a Studebaker. And you're worried that S&W will go out of business and no one will buy the company or produce parts?

What if Gaston vaporlocks during a romp with some young chick, and the next-in-line decides to change the design to something that actually feels like a pistol and uses different mags?

Quit being silly. :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Really, TT? C'mon, man. I can get online and get parts for a Studebaker. And you're worried that S&W will go out of business and no one will buy the company or produce parts?

What if Gaston vaporlocks during a romp with some young chick, and the next-in-line decides to change the design to something that actually feels like a pistol and uses different mags?

Quit being silly. :):

It's more about If they go under and no longer repair or replace things themselves.
    I like M&P pistols. I carry a shield (actually ditched the 43 because the shield is superior) so I'm not brand blind per se.
    Mag availability too is a concern.
    I dont like how you have to remove the rear sight on an M&P to replace certain parts nor is removing the rear sight as simple as a glock. It's all personal preference.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I dont like how you have to remove the rear sight on an M&P to replace certain parts nor is removing the rear sight as simple as a glock. It's all personal preference.

Agree on this. The Glock is elegant in its simplicity. Very simple, with very few parts. The M&P is more complicated and that is one of the things I do/did think about before buying, and even more of a reason to have an extra or 2 laying around. Even I can detail strip the slide down on a Glock, which is saying something. I haven't broken out the Youtube videos to look at the inner workings on the M&P that closely yet, but have read a bit about flying springs when removing the rear sight, etc... which was even more reason for me to take it over to Kenny @ Bradis when I had the sights put on.

Mag availability too is a concern.

The full size mags are plentiful and pretty cheap these days, though not quite as cheap as I generally find OEM Glock mags, and the Compacts (9c & 2.0) will use them, which is a selling point for me (like you I also have GLocks, and love the ability to share mags, and holsters within the platform, and the M&P provides this as well).

The compact 2.0 mags are starting to be seen in stock online, but not quite to the price I like to really load up as yet. I'll be stacking them deep once they come down to where the full size mags are in price. Mags are consumables and I like to stack them up a bit for pretty much everything I shoot.

I'll admit, I prefer the Glock mags (easier loading) and seem like they would be a bit more durable than M&P mags primarily because of the polymer (I tend to drop them free when reloading on gravel at the range).

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Soooo, do u have to order via RKG to get these prices, or are they available at the local stores too?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Soooo, do u have to order via RKG to get these prices, or are they available at the local stores too?

1. R.K. does it both ways: I always call them and ask and sometimes they know nothing about the "specials" that are going on online.
    2. Other times (like when I bought my SW MP Compact .22LR for $300, they had a couple there in the local Greenwood store.
    3. I still can't get the S/W 2.0 for $300 out of my mind, and might go check them out at the local store, even though I might have to order online paying the $10 fee to do so to have it delivered to a local R.K.
    4. They are probably out of it anyway by now.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. R.K. does it both ways: I always call them and ask and sometimes they know nothing about the "specials" that are going on online.
    2. Other times (like when I bought my SW MP Compact .22LR for $300, they had a couple there in the local Greenwood store.
    3. I still can't get the S/W 2.0 for $300 out of my mind, and might go check them out at the local store, even though I might have to order online paying the $10 fee to do so to have it delivered to a local R.K.
    4. They are probably out of it anyway by now.

They were out of stock online 2 days ago. I haven't seen too many 2.0 compacts in the wild for sale.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They were out of stock online 2 days ago. I haven't seen too many 2.0 compacts in the wild for sale.

1. I just got through comparing the specs on the Shield 9 (7-8 rounds) and the Compact 2.0 (15 rounds).
    2. Trying to justify ordering one (b/c of price), wondering, but I just bought a used CZ 75 B Omega yesterday from a member here and I don't think that the S/W 2.0 Compact would measure up to it, but I'd like to test them head-to-head to find out.
    3. I have always liked anything S/W (Shields or Compact) that I've tried. I shot Ggreen's SW 2.0 Compact .40 caliber yesterday AND LOVED IT!!!
    4. I don't want to go to another caliber, but I thought maybe the 9mm Compact 2.0 might be a good substitute. :laugh:
    5. I will find solace in going another round with the CZ today b/c I think it shoots better than I do, according to Ggreen's assessment of my shooting yesterday (which revealed lack of trigger control with some shots immediately on bulls eye, but follow up shots array b/c of too fast (I like doing 2 fast shots together).

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. I just got through comparing the specs on the Shield 9 (7-8 rounds) and the Compact 2.0 (15 rounds).
    2. Trying to justify ordering one (b/c of price), wondering, but I just bought a used CZ 75 B Omega yesterday from a member here and I don't think that the S/W 2.0 Compact would measure up to it, but I'd like to test them head-to-head to find out.
    3. I have always liked anything S/W (Shields or Compact) that I've tried. I shot Ggreen's SW 2.0 Compact .40 caliber yesterday AND LOVED IT!!!
    4. I don't want to go to another caliber, but I thought maybe the 9mm Compact 2.0 might be a good substitute. :laugh:
    5. I will find solace in going another round with the CZ today b/c I think it shoots better than I do, according to Ggreen's assessment of my shooting yesterday (which revealed lack of trigger control with some shots immediately on bulls eye, but follow up shots array b/c of too fast (I like doing 2 fast shots together).
    For 99.99% of shooters the gun will shoot better than they do. So not knocking you but the gun will shoot better than you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure at this point if I will keep the 2.0 Compact I ordered. It will stay in the box until I make my final decision. I too have a Shield for CC. If the 2.0 is not too big for me, I will switch to that. I'm not the kind of person who likes to carry different firearms so I probably wouldn't switch back and forth between the Shield and the 2.0. I'd prefer to pick one, train with it, game with it and carry it.

But we will see. In a past life I tried to carry larger pistols and I ended up not carrying as much as I do with something like my Shield.

But I still want to take a good look at the PPQ and VP9. Though, then I am back to shooting one pistol (whichever one I end up with) and carrying my Shield.

First world problems.:)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm not sure at this point if I will keep the 2.0 Compact I ordered. It will stay in the box until I make my final decision. I too have a Shield for CC. If the 2.0 is not too big for me, I will switch to that. I'm not the kind of person who likes to carry different firearms so I probably wouldn't switch back and forth between the Shield and the 2.0. I'd prefer to pick one, train with it, game with it and carry it.

But we will see. In a past life I tried to carry larger pistols and I ended up not carrying as much as I do with something like my Shield.

But I still want to take a good look at the PPQ and VP9. Though, then I am back to shooting one pistol (whichever one I end up with) and carrying my Shield.

The key to enjoying carrying a larger pistol is holster choice and wardrobe selection. I go through holsters like crazy when I get a new pistol trying to find the one

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The key to enjoying carrying a larger pistol is holster choice and wardrobe selection. I go through holsters like crazy when I get a new pistol trying to find the one

Yeah, I got the holster thing down finally. It's the wardrobe that I haven't yielded much to yet. I'm a little like Colion Noir, I wear my T-shirts tight.:)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For 99.99% of shooters the gun will shoot better than they do. So not knocking you but the gun will shoot better than you.

1. No knock taken :laugh:, with my eyes being trifocaled, I'm "estimating" where to shoot anyway since the target is fuzzy. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Just this am I was looking at the specs between the two and it's just "a little" larger (1/2 here or there), but with my experience between the Shield 9 and the Shield 45 (which was only a "little" bigger) it was just big enough that I couldn't carry in my ankle or pocket holster.
    2. So I realized The Compact 2.0 wasn't going to take the place of my Shield 9mm as a CC. (primary is a J frame anyway)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1. No knock taken :laugh:, with my eyes being trifocaled, I'm "estimating" where to shoot anyway since the target is fuzzy. :ugh:

The target should be fuzzy. You want the front sight as clear and sharp as your vision will allow. Two shots rapidly is not a problem if you understand how grip, front sight focus, flash picture and trigger press all come together.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ....Two shots rapidly is not a problem if you understand how grip, front sight focus, flash picture and trigger press all come together.

I'm going to stick my neck out here...while I agree that "two shots rapidly is not a problem" and may be fine to judge your ability to use a given pistol in a self defense situation or any of the matches requiring rapid fire, but slow controlled shots are generally better when trying to judge a pistols inherent accuracy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1. Just this am I was looking at the specs between the two and it's just "a little" larger (1/2 here or there), but with my experience between the Shield 9 and the Shield 45 (which was only a "little" bigger) it was just big enough that I couldn't carry in my ankle or pocket holster.
    2. So I realized The Compact 2.0 wasn't going to take the place of my Shield 9mm as a CC. (primary is a J frame anyway)

I carry OWB so the size may work.

Top Bottom