• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I really like the 1st generations the best. I have a 39-2 and 59.
    But I picked up this CS9 a couple of years ago.
    View attachment 60854

I'd love to find a nice CS9 or 45 for a decent price. I think now that I should by the end of the week have my 909, and 3906 its time to hit the 2nd gen era for a single stack 9 to add to the chain.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Dang - they bringing that 909 in by pack mule?

I called this morning to see if it had been delivered yesterday and he said not yet. He then called me about 20 min later to let me know it arrived. While there he told me about another S&W I would like. He then shows me an at least 95% or better 457. I ended up getting it for 399 out the door. The funny thing is the last 4 on the 457 is 2017 which I took as a sign to buy. I did have to make a deal with my wife to let her get a dehydrator and vacuum sealer out of our account instead of our business funds.

qv3uxM7.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Wow. The finish on the 457 is impressive! Every time I every see one it has edge wear at a minimum.

My wife trades gun purchases for jewelry purchases...

Next time upload a bigger picture! :laugh:

Some of you people are elderly so gotta make it big for all to see. The 457 was made June of 1999, and the 909 was made feb of 1995. The 909 frame is actually smooth compared to my 3906 with square trigger guard. The edges of the frame by the trigger are sharp on the 3906. I am going to email S&W and see how many 3906's were made with adj sights and square trigger guard.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm new to this part of the forum so bear with me a bit. I traded a Lama 1911 for a S&W 457 with some holster where, but it runs great. Next year I'm going to have it refinished and have the springs change and maybe some new grips.

I recently bought a 3904 (like the blue) in really good shape with an adj sights. It has a very good trigger pull in DA and in SA a very short reset. It came with 1 magazine and now I have 13 with 5 being 9 rounders. I still need some more time with it before I carry it, but it is a really good running gun. This is one of the very few all metal pistols that I could find in a single stack and it fits my large hands really well.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm new to this part of the forum so bear with me a bit. I traded a Lama 1911 for a S&W 457 with some holster where, but it runs great. Next year I'm going to have it refinished and have the springs change and maybe some new grips.

I recently bought a 3904 (like the blue) in really good shape with an adj sights. It has a very good trigger pull in DA and in SA a very short reset. It came with 1 magazine and now I have 13 with 5 being 9 rounders. I still need some more time with it before I carry it, but it is a really good running gun. This is one of the very few all metal pistols that I could find in a single stack and it fits my large hands really well.

Welcome to the club. We may not be as active as the CZ'ers but we try to have fun here.

I'm debating whether to get the mag sleeve adapters for my 8 rd 4506 mags so I can use them in my 457 since I have a :poop: ton, or scour the web till I can find the 7rd mags for under 30. I use to own 8 7 rounders before i even had a compact 45, but sold them before the prices went above 30. I usually buy any S&W 3rd gen mag between $20 & $25 shipped or out the door.

The 909 and 457 now bring my collection up to 8. I have owned 10 S&W metal semi autos a 6906 and 669. I would like to replace the 6906 I foolishly traded away. Though looking back now and the line of trades since then I did end up with a near perfect 1978 Yugo 59/66 for the same price so it washes out.

You'll have to post some photos which is the only mandatory requirement to be in the club.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Alan showed me that 457 when I was in last week picking up my latest 3rd gen(S&W 5943)and he mentioned that he had someone in mind he was sure would buy it. I knew he was talking about you. That is the nicest 457 I've ever seen. Had to ask him to flip it over to be sure it wasn't a no-safety 457D which I'd have bought on the spot. Nice score.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Alan showed me that 457 when I was in last week picking up my latest 3rd gen(S&W 5943)and he mentioned that he had someone in mind he was sure would buy it. I knew he was talking about you. That is the nicest 457 I've ever seen. Had to ask him to flip it over to be sure it wasn't a no-safety 457D which I'd have bought on the spot. Nice score.

Thanks.... as he called my check in I went back there to look after he said 457. It took me all but 30 sec to walk over to 5/3 and come back with the cash especially since he said some guy wanted to do layaway but needed the cash first. Hopefully that wasn't you.... How much did you pay for your 5943 if you don't mind me asking? I would like to find one as well seeing as they were made for only 1yr in 1991 according to the S&W bible. I have a 5903 square trigger guard and one of those early 90's lasers mounted. I kinda like the weight but the alloy frames when beaten up show much more that their stainless counterparts.

I do have the 3rd edition bible if anyone is looking to expand their minds on the metal semi autos. The information in these "bibles" will blow your mind. The authors are on the S&W forum as well and have been compiling information from us owners that they may use in the 5th edition whenever that comes out.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    No, it wasn't me on the 457. I pretty much only do the DAO guns with a couple of exceptions. Had it been a 457D you'd have seen the busted glass in the display case where I slammed my money down.

The 5943 came off of GB shipped for $404($399 but I opted for additional insurance on this one). I was the only bidder,.....I can't imagine why. It's in very nice condition with almost dead night sights. The pics in the auction were pretty crappy but what you could see looked good and the gun was advertised as used, like new. It's close to that and much, much better than my other 5943. Alloy framed guns that have been carried as duty guns do usually look pretty ratty. Either this one was never an issue gun or it had special treatment. I like the 5946s better but if I ever wanted to carry something that size I would definitely go with the 5943 which is why I have them.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    No, it wasn't me on the 457. I pretty much only do the DAO guns with a couple of exceptions. Had it been a 457D you'd have seen the busted glass in the display case where I slammed my money down.

The 5943 came off of GB shipped for $404($399 but I opted for additional insurance on this one). I was the only bidder,.....I can't imagine why. It's in very nice condition with almost dead night sights. The pics in the auction were pretty crappy but what you could see looked good and the gun was advertised as used, like new. It's close to that and much, much better than my other 5943. Alloy framed guns that have been carried as duty guns do usually look pretty ratty. Either this one was never an issue gun or it had special treatment. I like the 5946s better but if I ever wanted to carry something that size I would definitely go with the 5943 which is why I have them.

I do believe I seen that 5943 then. I would say you made out like a bandit. I highly doubt many of those 5943's were ever carried by LEO's.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Do you consider your third gen gun "collector" guns or carry guns?

For me, they are shootable collectors. Not that I am expecting them to be tomorrow's Registered Magnums but I do think they have some upward value potential. I sure know what I paid for a 1006 this year versus what they were worth not too many years ago.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    I am going to by for myself this gun - my friend bought it not so long, and his rewiews about this firearm are very positive, so I want to make testdrive for that baby

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Do you consider your third gen gun "collector" guns or carry guns?

For me, they are shootable collectors. Not that I am expecting them to be tomorrow's Registered Magnums but I do think they have some upward value potential. I sure know what I paid for a 1006 this year versus what they were worth not too many years ago.

I did carry my 3913 for a while before I got a Tupperware glock, so the 3913 plays car duty now, I have the 5946 playing garage duty, the 457 is now my nightstand gun, and the rest are in the safe. The 3906 has a b square mount with red dot, the 5903 has the 90's era laser for square trigger guards, and the 4506-1 hasn't been shot much as I'm working on fixing my 45 reloads due too many squib rounds. The 5906 has been retired from nightstand duty, though I may use that for living room duty not sure yet. The 909 I think will be my range gun more often than the 3906 since the 06 is in much better shape. I might even swap the laser and square mount on the 03 and 06.

Out of my collection I would say the 3913 has already made me money based on the LC9 trade with all boxes and paper plus 1 mag since you can now find LC9's for less than $250. At the time of the trade and drive to Indy 3913's were running about 400 on gb. I think I paid around 330 for the lc9 plus extra mag NIB. I see them now going for 425 and 450 pretty regular. I'm surprised the 3906 and 909 aren't much higher due to the low production numbers, but I figure in maybe another 10yrs the prices will be what you pay for 1006's.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I consider all of mine to be shooters, but I wouldn't buy one in collectible condition intentionally. I just think that in typical 'used' condition that they're the best bang for the buck in a quality autoloader. I'm not a big fan of the current poly pistols(no hater, I've got dozens of them but they're just OK). I much prefer something older and the Smith's are 'it'. They're still fairly common at near giveaway prices and they've been well proven serving as duty guns for decades.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Of course it does, but not the 910, 909, or 908. I dislike the value line with the plastic parts.

Funny to see how in a yr the tables have turned. I got my 909 and 457 test fired and cleaned last friday. The 457 shoot a little low and the 909 is right on at 20ft.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    What's a decent price on something like a CS9? I was really thinking about picking up a Kimber Micro 9, but then realized I'd probably enjoy something like a CS9 more. There's a few on various auction sites, just not sure what a deal on them is.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I usually see the CS9s around $500. The DAO CS9D is much more rare and should go quite a bit higher, but I bought both of mine for just a hair over $400 so deals can be found if you have the time to search for them. It's an online only thing for me. I'd never expect to just walk into a shop and find one sitting on a shelf.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I usually see the CS9s around $500. The DAO CS9D is much more rare and should go quite a bit higher, but I bought both of mine for just a hair over $400 so deals can be found if you have the time to search for them. It's an online only thing for me. I'd never expect to just walk into a shop and find one sitting on a shelf.

Well I screwed the pooch tonight. Missed the auction while I was at work and a stainless CS9 went for $385. Oh well, next time maybe.

Top Bottom