• ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So what real advantage other than nostalgia does a revolver have over a comparable quality semi auto carry pistol?

The advantage I see is not everyone has the physical strength to rack the slide of a semi auto pistol.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I understand you track nd's, but do you track them in proportion to the amount of semi auto's vs the amount of revolvers in circulation (inflammatory i'm sorry, but there are so many more semi auto's sold everyday as compared to revolvers, it would only be a fair analysis if this is taken into consideration)? Going purely by the lgs I get coffee at, semiautos outsell 10 to 1 vs revolvers. Giving semi autos a much higher chance to be involved in an nd. I also think that if you take the same person who ND's a semi auto when unloading you will have a much higher than 33% chance of that person nding a revolver. Safety is wholly dependent on the person handling the gun. Someone who is unsafe with a semi, will likely be just as unsafe with a revolver, or a musket, or fish hooks when casting around people. ND's don't happen due to a mechanical failure, they happen because of a mental failure.

I can see merit in the argument, especially due to a lot of semi's requiring you to pull the trigger to release the slide. But again if a person I so careless as to not check the chamber before pulling a trigger, would they not also be just as careless with a revolver they "thought" only had empties in it?

I can't see why a glock 43 wouldn't be able to sit in stasis for 15 years and not be able to be fired on the first trigger pull. The modern magazine spring steel should not degrade if it is not being worked. The glock should be as reliable as the revolver coming out of deep storage. Although I'd always recommend a glock 17,22,31 for a sock drawer gun :D

I respect your point of view, but I don't see any argument that would change my mind. And that is ok, I still appreciate anyone who will take the time to give a thoughtful answer when suggesting a firearm to a new shooter. Personal experience drives a lot of it, and yours is more than most. I shoot a lot, and rarely mess around with revolvers, I just don't see the point beyond nostalgia and maybe hunting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can see merit in the argument, especially due to a lot of semi's requiring you to pull the trigger to release the slide. But again if a person I so careless as to not check the chamber before pulling a trigger, would they not also be just as careless with a revolver they "thought" only had empties in it?

Answered your own question. Bolded.

Safety is wholly dependent on the person handling the gun.

But the margin of error is different. I can ND a gun with a 15-lb trigger pull. I can ND a gun with a 2-lb trigger pull. The second has much less margin of error, though.

I can't see why a glock 43 wouldn't be able to sit in stasis for 15 years and not be able to be fired on the first trigger pull. The modern magazine spring steel should not degrade if it is not being worked. The glock should be as reliable as the revolver coming out of deep storage.

It's not the spring, it's the lube. Lube draws dust and lint, evaporates, and over time can essentially cement the slide to the frame. I've seen some gummy freaking messes, the worst of which needed "taps" with a mallet to break loose.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I think the person I'm making a recommendation to is incapable of clearing a semi auto, I'm not recommending a firearm to them.

...and they'll ignore you and get one anyway. Honestly, though, not everyone who screws it up is a total newb or incompetent. It just takes one moment of distraction combined with complacency and lack of muzzle awareness. I've never done it myself, but I'm always cognizant that I *could* so I limit distractions, go through my entire "routine" every time, and maintain muzzle discipline when pulling the trigger to break it down.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not so sure your buddy Mas would agree with you on that.

Joking aside, you might be starting to wear me down with this argument. Most people who carry a gun aren't serious about it. Most gun confrontations are ended without a shot fired. Most "accidents" happen when administratively handling a firearm. Why not a revolver.
    BBIs forced to me surrender:bowdown: to his revolver message a few months ago. The logic is inescapable and we all know that most people are NOT going to train. When you're right your right and if you're not going to do anything with your pistol aside from use it for a security blanket the revolver is the best choice because the untrained is less likely to have an ND while playing with it. If you plan on learning to use it for it's intended purpose a semi-auto is easier to shoot accurately, carry, and holds more ammunition. Imagine that, a former detective beating me up with logic and facts.:scratch:

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    So what real advantage other than nostalgia does a revolver have over a comparable quality semi auto carry pistol?

The advantage I see is not everyone has the physical strength to rack the slide of a semi auto pistol.

I get your point but for argument's sake...

My 5-4 100lb wife could barely rack the slide (but could) when we first got into guns. With a few pointers toward technique, she did so much easier. two years later she has no trouble. 5 minutes teaching the right technique the first time and it'll stick.

On the other hand (literally), she has a b**** of a time with a trigger past 8lb because she just doesn't have the strength in her finger. she can do it but the target better be within 3yds because the gun's all over the place from straining so hard to pull the trigger. In this context, a nice revolver with a trigger job to reduce the pull to something more manageable doesn't really work because most people looking for a sock-drawer gun aren't going to put that kind of money into it.

As for lube and lint, an unlubed semi-auto still runs for a while and a revolver can rust inside even if the outside is kept up. Neglect is the enemy of any mechanism.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I get your point but for argument's sake...

My 5-4 100lb wife could barely rack the slide (but could) when we first got into guns. With a few pointers toward technique, she did so much easier. two years later she has no trouble. 5 minutes teaching the right technique the first time and it'll stick.

On the other hand (literally), she has a b**** of a time with a trigger past 8lb because she just doesn't have the strength in her finger. she can do it but the target better be within 3yds because the gun's all over the place from straining so hard to pull the trigger. In this context, a nice revolver with a trigger job to reduce the pull to something more manageable doesn't really work because most people looking for a sock-drawer gun aren't going to put that kind of money into it.

As for lube and lint, an unlubed semi-auto still runs for a while and a revolver can rust inside even if the outside is kept up. Neglect is the enemy of any mechanism.

Your wife has 5" of height on mine.:) She could rack the slide on my 1911 once we worked on technique a little but she could not pull the 12 lb trigger on my snub nose. After I smoothed it up some and got it to around 10 lbs, she could but she still preferred the auto.

Disclaimer: she does not carry. She just shoots a few rounds when she occasionally goes to the range with me.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Your wife has 5" of height on mine.:) She could rack the slide on my 1911 once we worked on technique a little but she could not pull the 12 lb trigger on my snub nose. After I smoothed it up some and got it to around 10 lbs, she could but she still preferred the auto.

Disclaimer: she does not carry. She just shoots a few rounds when she occasionally goes to the range with me.

haha same here. She gets all worked up if she's home with the kiddo and I'm gone all day and HAS to have the doors locked and deadbolted (for all the good it'll do with cardboard frames and big windows in every room) but I can't get her to even carry around the house.

Top Bottom