• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I am very sorry to hear about your trouble. I know this probably is not what you want to be doing.

Unfortunetly, my guess is that your going to have trouble on #5 under 35-43-2-2 Criminal tresspass. It sounds like you did everything without trying to cause intimidation but you did enter the house without permission. You left when asked but I don't think that changes the fact that you entered.

IC 35-43-2-2
    Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    (2) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;
    (3) accompanies another person in a vehicle, with knowledge that the other person knowingly or intentionally is exerting unauthorized control over the vehicle;
    (4) knowingly or intentionally interferes with the possession or use of the property of another person without the person's consent;
    (5) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the dwelling of another person without the person's consent;

I can't see anywhere that they can get you on intimidation because you didn't do anything other than carry your firearm legally.

But it's that darn CT that get's me. "S" was told she could come into the house but you were not. So while in real life we don't each stop at the door and ask if that "meant me too", it still can get tricky when the law wants to get you. This is probably one of the best reasons to just comply fully with the officer, which you did, and to be very humble and respectful.

Where exactly were you when "Y" stopped you? Were you "in" the house or were you starting to enter the house? Maybe it can be argued that you reasonably believed that you had permission to enter when "Y" said "S" could enter if you were in close contact with "S" when "Y" told her she could get her stuff.

I think that the intimidation thing goes away easy because someone that wants to intimidate does not turn right around and walk away when asked too. But that other one is going to be a little tricky. In this case I would have opted for CC if you felt that you wanted to carry. At least you could argue that it was not your intention for "Y" to see it, you made every attempt to cover it but it showed when you bent over.

Honestly, if someone came to my house that I have kicked out but now they have two people to help them and they both have guns, they are not coming in my house either. I am sure that I would have reacted in the same way as "Y". Especially late at night.

Probably not your best decision but what's done is done. I hope that cooler heads will prevail and that you will not be convicted. Technicalities can be a bi*ch and a blessing depending on which way they fall for you...

Last edited:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Best of luck to the OP. this is a crap situation and sorry you got caught up like this. The cops just want some payback for your complaint. From what ive read the intimidation charge doesn't have a chance in hell of sticking.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My first court appearance is June 28th @ 1300 in Hammond.
    If you really wanna help (not with money, that's covered for now) pm me.

orion814me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    That was the lansing kmart. st john just paranoid. i live just south in cedar lake and grew up just across the border in obama land. there are quit a few jerk leos from what ive seen and heard. though i know of one nice one who picked up my money clip w 80 bucks in it and made shure i got it back.

It did in fact happen at the ST. John Kmart. I cant remember the year but I'm in my late thirties and it happened when i was a kid maybe 11 or 12 years old. If I remember right he didn't get inside but just shot people in the parking lot. St. john wasn't very developed back then, mostly rural, none of the McMansions they have now. I Doubt an old event like that is the reason for their attitude today, its most likely due to the political leanings of the chief or simply a power trip thing like it is most of the time that police infringe on the rights of the vast non police population who employ them.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    The funny thing about this situation is the friendliness of everyone at the St. John PD 6 months ago when I went to get my permit, they seemed very nice and well informed so it is a shame that you are going through all of this. I OC in St. John frequently and have yet to have a problem, and will continue to do so, and it is a sad day when a law abiding citizen gets screwed like this. Keep us posted and let us know what we can all help you with.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    All joking aside, this is the type of situation that scares the hell out of me. Not to sound revolutionary, or reactionary, but when they ask, "why do you think you NEED an AK-47/M4/FN FAL (i.e. "assault weapons")...what do you think THEY are going to be carrying when they kick down YOUR door?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    St. John is in Northwest Indiana. It straddles US 41 to the south of US 30. It's a pretty good, safe town. Like most of the rest of NW Indiana though, it's not too far (10 minutes) from some not-to-hot places like Gary, East Chicago, etc....

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Like most of the rest of NW Indiana though, it's not too far (10 minutes) from some not-to-hot places like Gary, East Chicago, etc....

If you can get to any of those places in 10 minutes from St. John then you have a time machine.:) It's hard enough to get through Schererville in 10 minutes.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, it takes at least a half hour to get to 80/94( or to come home from there) during the day.

One year when I had to go to Milwaukee for work, I had to leave at like 3 AM and I got to 80/94 in like 10 minutes. Too many slugs hogging the left lane on both sides during the day who don't actually pass anyone.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Sorry, been kind of pre-occupied.
    The 6/28 court was just an initial hearing, charges read, said "not guilty" and had a trial date set for August 9th 0845 am...Anyone that can show up for moral support would be appreciated.
    On the other front, the tort notice was filed w/St. John for the civil suit.
    to be continued.......

Top Bottom