• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I did some flying on Monday and Tuesday and heard the announcement about powering down the Note 7 and not using it on the flight (Southwest flights with wifi) at least a dozen times.

Seems serious.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I did some flying on Monday and Tuesday and heard the announcement about powering down the Note 7 and not using it on the flight (Southwest flights with wifi) at least a dozen times.

Seems serious.

Yep. Saw signs just like this on my flights 2 weeks ago too.

636112606065940600-samsung-warning_1475682904726_6365427_ver1.0.jpg

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Well, just did it. I love the Note 7. It was my first s pen phone and I used the s pen more than I thought I would but enough is enough.

Google Pixel XL preordered...kind of pricey but what the hell....oh, this "Verizon exclusive" can also be purchased unlocked from the Google store, for those who didn't know, to be used on other carriers. They also do 2 year payment plans.
    Dammit, no expandable memory so I grabbed the 128G model. I will get a free VR headset for preordering though....and I guess Pixel owners get unlimited cloud storage for pictures/videos. We shall see about this Pixel experience.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This report puts all of the fault on the battery, but doesn't put any fault on the case design. Lithium cells can swell about 20% over their life. I've studied this quite a bit, as I'm the Engineer responsible for our tablet design and don't want any fires on my watch. The tight tolerances of the case setup a situation that made these battery issues worse. But that would not allow them to pawn off the issues to subcontractors.

I really wish we had some makers that would stop trying to make razor thin phones and give me a decent sized battery. But with the current trend to sealed phones and thinner, it makes them unusable in 18 months. That is about the half life of typical cell batteries (or 500 cycles). With a sealed phone, you are really happy to get that new phone in 2 years, because your battery life is about 30% of what it was when you bought it. Suddenly, the new phone is wonderful, even though it has the same or worse life than your current phone with a fresh battery.

Sorry, I'm jaded. My device lasts 10 years to 50% battery life. But then, we can't just ship a replacement deep into a tribe in the Congo very easily.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I certainly hope Samsung "gets" it that replaceable batteries are the way to go. I replaced 3 batteries in my S4 over four years, two of which were swollen to the point of making the phone erratic. New battery equals new phone in a lot of cases as it has in my Note4.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I certainly hope Samsung "gets" it that replaceable batteries are the way to go. I replaced 3 batteries in my S4 over four years, two of which were swollen to the point of making the phone erratic. New battery equals new phone in a lot of cases as it has in my Note4.

And THAT is the reason they don't want one. My Note 3 is still a decent phone. I bought it on eBay 2 years ago for under $200. This doesn't make money for Samsung. I don't really care.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

And THAT is the reason they don't want one. My Note 3 is still a decent phone. I bought it on eBay 2 years ago for under $200. This doesn't make money for Samsung. I don't really care.

I have the swelled battery thing going on with my Note 4 again. Had to take battery out to reboot after crash. Case wouldn't snap shut all the way.

My screen is bowed outward, camera crashes phone with other apps running and cell signal comes/goes. New battery arives monday. It will replace the Anker brand aftermarket battery purchased in April 2016.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had such awesome luck with my Note phones. My 2,3 and 5 are still running. Although the 2 (which must be close to 6 years old now) could use a battery. I was really bummed when the 7 bombed. I was with in days of getting one when the crap hit the fan.

Top Bottom