• JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Having grown up in the area, in a BIG German family,
    It's the local twist on things...

My holiday was Thanksgiving, no matter where I was deployed, I tried to make it home.
    The older German women trying to out cook each other and I got fed for 3 days till I couldn't move!

*IF* you know the right places,
    'German' catfish, frog legs, turtle soup, bergoo, ribley, hot German potato salad, Dutch dried apple pie, sugar cured baked ham, and SAUSAGES!
    'Half-N-Half' burgers (sausage patty, seasoned hamburger patty, buttered egg yoke grilled bun, cheese),
    Heart Attack Beans (green beans with sugar, bacon, reduced and candied), candied nuts, farm eggs, all that good stuff!

The daily stuff, 'Red Hots', 'Old Fish' & Ribley (barley) soup!
    Available to working men everyday if you know where to go.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but of you want rib sticking food that will allow you to work hard, and it's wonderful.
    And people wonder why I grow and preserve a lot of my own food, I get exactly what I want and it's stuff you just can't get on the 'Consumer' market...

Now remember, the USDA has stepped in and put the brakes on a lot of stuff, like turtle soup & frog legs that were wild caught...
    So you get that squishy, watery meat that has no taste,
    But if you know where to go... ;)

Last edited:

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Love the Schnitz. My mom's side all still live down in Jasper, and we have 500+ acres just outside of Jasper, so I'm down there a lot. It's been about 5 years since I've been to the Schnitz, but love it every time I go. Last time I had their beer was at the Strassenfest in '17 I think.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Never was impressed by the Schnitzelbank. Spent too many years in the BRD and my maternal grandparents were both 2nd gen immigrants from Germany. Atmosphere in particular is a little too forced, food overpriced and only a little better than mediocre. Can't comment on their beer, haven't had it.

The thing about the Schnitz that many people don't understand, largely because of the forced German atmosphere, is that the food is southwestern Indiana first and German second. Unless they have schnitzel on special I normally don't get anything from the German portion of the menu.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    As a local, I just don't get it, and I know I am not alone. Most bars in the area serve the same food as the Schnitz for like 1/3 of the price.

I might be spoiled too with both of my grandmothers and my mom cooking way better "German" food than the Schnitz.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man... now I'm thinking I might make schnitzel, and spaeztle, and sauerkraut for dinner. :drool:

I've even got some Vienna lager on tap.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As a local, I just don't get it, and I know I am not alone. Most bars in the area serve the same food as the Schnitz for like 1/3 of the price.

I might be spoiled too with both of my grandmothers and my mom cooking way better "German" food than the Schnitz.

When they had a plate lunch for working class, i used to hit it once a week. Hard to beat a $5 plate lunch...
    I rarely go there for dinner, too crowded and the prices are a little high.

I'll second the older German women cooking better than any restaurant! :)
    When all those restaurants were great it was someone's grandma in the kitchen...
    Lots of the stuff has been 'Americanized' simply because no one cans, cooks much anymore, and when you don't can/cook, you get what's off the shelf at the store...

We do Burgoo, turtle soup, Ribley w/pinch dumplings, etc and the place gets overrun by people that remember that stuff...
    Couldn't give it away at the store, no one knows what it is.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Man... now I'm thinking I might make schnitzel, and spaeztle, and sauerkraut for dinner. :drool:

I've even got some Vienna lager on tap.

I recently bought a nokedli maker, I should try it out tonight. For you German heathen, nokedli is the far superior (actually exactly the same) Hungarian equivalent.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My home town. Me mum still lives there. But yes, it's hard to beat the Rathskeller.
    And the turtle soup at the bar, I'm pretty sure it's not turtle anymore. But who am I to spoil it. I've had turtle soup. Tastes like creek.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I recently bought a nokedli maker, I should try it out tonight. For you German heathen, nokedli is the far superior (actually exactly the same) Hungarian equivalent.

I drilled holes in a big plastic leftover container.

But, I couldn't find it. Tonight's spätzle was... inconsistent, but still tasty.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My home town. Me mum still lives there. But yes, it's hard to beat the Rathskeller.
    And the turtle soup at the bar, I'm pretty sure it's not turtle anymore. But who am I to spoil it. I've had turtle soup. Tastes like creek.

I've never tried the turtle soup at the Schnitz, my family makes 75 gallons every February so I get my fill of that at home.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I used to travel the state for work. 100 nights a year in hotels. For 4.5 consecutive years. I stayed MANY nights in/near Jasper (there were a few unfortunate nights in Dale, that I remember) - and I only ever ate at Schnitzelbank once.

I think it's one of those places that kind of has a mystique about it, a place aimed at "outsiders".

That said, Jasper is a beautiful small town. Dubois County is equally gorgeous.

I had plenty of college friends from and near Jasper. I've generally always enjoyed the time I've spent there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I used to travel the state for work. 100 nights a year in hotels. For 4.5 consecutive years. I stayed MANY nights in/near Jasper (there were a few unfortunate nights in Dale, that I remember) - and I only ever ate at Schnitzelbank once.

I think it's one of those places that kind of has a mystique about it, a place aimed at "outsiders".

That said, Jasper is a beautiful small town. Dubois County is equally gorgeous.

I had plenty of college friends from and near Jasper. I've generally always enjoyed the time I've spent there.

My experience is very similar except that I'm from near the area and when I traveled we almost always ate at the Schnitz at least once per week when we were in the area. The only other place in Jasper that we even visited half as frequently was the Mill House and that was as often as not for the cheap but good pizza buffet at lunch. The only place more popular to my crews in all of southwestern Indiana was the now closed Essen Haus in Odon.

As a somewhat local and someone who had the opportunity to eat there frequently with plenty of people who were nowhere near local, I think the Schnitz tends to be a bit underappreciated by many locals and a bit over rated by many of the non locals.

If you want to talk about over rated restaurants in the Jasper area, then The Chicken Place is easily the most overrated.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I prefer Snaps if I am eating in Jasper. Otherwise, I'll go to Fleig's in Ferdinand for their fried chicken hearts and German Fries.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    over rated restaurants in the Jasper area, then The Chicken Place is easily the most overrated.

Good ol' Ireland, Indiana!

Any kind of chicken you want - as long as it's fried.

We stopped in there for dinner once, too. Mainly for the novelty of it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I prefer Snaps if I am eating in Jasper. Otherwise, I'll go to Fleig's in Ferdinand for their fried chicken hearts and German Fries.

I've been to Snaps a few times, always for lunch, and thought it was ok. I actually thought it had gone out of business. The Mill House is just around the corner and a few blocks down so I usually end up there instead.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom