• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pepper spray is for a completely different set of applications than what we're discussing here. It's a deterrent for someone who is not that committed to hurting you, not something that will stop an active shooter.

Absolutely True. Watched a video in the Advanced Carry tactics class this weekend of a chick fight. Hoss of a girl was in the face of a more petite girl. At arms length/bad breath distance (too close) petite girl gave hoss a snootfull of pepper spray and hoss took her down immediately and though irritated and slowed down, she was still plenty motivated to proceed to ground and pound the other girl. It barely slowed her down. A short while later petite girl was able to re-apply more spray and that actually shut her down totally. luckily the first spray was enough to mostly blind the attacker because she couldnt get many good solid hits in. If she had been running at full speed that other chick would have been in big trouble.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Pepper spray is for a completely different set of applications than what we're discussing here. It's a deterrent for someone who is not that committed to hurting you, not something that will stop an active shooter.

"Stun guns" are not tasers and they simply don't work. All they do is cause some localized pain that is more of a hard pinch than anything else. They're fun to use on your friends or as a training tool to induce a little stress, but they are useless in a genuine self-defense situation.

Please tell me more, I ASS u ME d they were more effective.
    :bs:

I’ve seen people drop to the ground unconscious immediately after being hit with a stun gun. Don’t you watch TV?

Look, they’re even great for women!

Stun Guns for Self Defense

And silencers render firearms completely noiseless.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

"Stun guns" are not tasers and they simply don't work. All they do is cause some localized pain that is more of a hard pinch than anything else. They're fun to use on your friends or as a training tool to induce a little stress, but they are useless in a genuine self-defense situation.

I have sprayed quite a few people with "pepper spray (mostly women)". It is truly a two edged sword besides IME only being about 50% effective.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:+1:

They are both terrible "weapons" but they can put you into some legal trouble.
    They are not really weapons but carrying a stun gun still requires a LTCH in the state of Indiana (I think) as it's still concidered a "deadly weapon".

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    :+1:

They are both terrible "weapons" but they can put you into some legal trouble.
    They are not really weapons but carrying a stun gun still requires a LTCH in the state of Indiana (I think) as it's still concidered a "deadly weapon".

A stun gun isn't classified as a deadly weapon. Some localities, i.e. South Bend, have restrictions on possession and ownership of stun devices, but other than that, anyone can buy, sell, own, or carry one. Of course, they are completely novelty items which are absolutely useless in a real self defense situation. Get a real Taser brand device if you need a stun weapon. Everything else is worthless.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A stun gun isn't classified as a deadly weapon. Some localities, i.e. South Bend, have restrictions on possession and ownership of stun devices, but other than that, anyone can buy, sell, own, or carry one. Of course, they are completely novelty items which are absolutely useless in a real self defense situation. Get a real Taser brand device if you need a stun weapon. Everything else is worthless.

240 IAC 9-2-1 DefinitionsAuthority: IC 10-11-2-28
    Affected: IC 35-47; IC 35-47.5-2-4
    Sec. 1. The following definitions apply throughout this article
    1) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following
    A) A loaded or unloaded firearm (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5).
    (B) A destructive device, weapon, device, taser (as defined in IC 35-47-8-3), electronic stun weapon (as defined in IC35-47-8-1), or stun gun (as defined in IC 35-47-8-2), equipment, including knives, chemical substance, or othermaterial, that, in the manner it is used, or could ordinarily be used, or is intended to be used, is readily capable ofcausing serious bodily injury.

:dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You got me there. Still doesn't require a LTCH, though. I can't imagine why something that does not cause bodily injury would be considered a deadly weapon.

That's the list of things you can't bring into the state capitol.
    Knives, guns, pepper spray and stun guns.
    They just called the entire list "deadly weapons".

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-8-2[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Stun gun" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "stun gun" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that equals or does not exceed the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-8-5
    Stun guns; purchase, possession, and sale; use in commission of crime; use on law enforcement officer
    Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun.
    (b) A person who sells or furnishes a stun gun to a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who uses a stun gun in the commission of a crime commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    [/FONT]

(d) A person who uses a stun gun on a law enforcement officer while the officer is performing the officer's duties commits a Class D felony. As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.

IC 35-47-2Chapter 2. Regulation of Handguns

That doesn't mean that a stun gun is regulated like a handgun, therefore you need a LTCH to carry it?

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Well I'm sorry, I used "pepper spray" and "stun gun"as generic terms for similar items.
    The "pepper spray "that I was issued when I was an officer would stop you blind in your tracks, unless you were so morbidly obese it couldn't cut through your rolls of fat. Same goes for "stun guns" and tasers. We had a "billy club" that was electrically charged and I swear that thing could drop a bull- again- unless you were so morbidly obese it couldn't cut through your fat-sounded like power line arcing. So we never used any of that stuff as a "gag" on our friends.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well I'm sorry, I used "pepper spray" and "stun gun"as generic terms for similar items.
    The "pepper spray "that I was issued when I was an officer would stop you blind in your tracks, unless you were so morbidly obese it couldn't cut through your rolls of fat. Same goes for "stun guns" and tasers. We had a "billy club" that was electrically charged and I swear that thing could drop a bull- again- unless you were so morbidly obese it couldn't cut through your fat-sounded like power line arcing. So we never used any of that stuff as a "gag" on our friends.

:bs:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    That's the list of things you can't bring into the state capitol.
    Knives, guns, pepper spray and stun guns.
    They just called the entire list "deadly weapons".

That doesn't mean that a stun gun is regulated like a handgun, therefore you need a LTCH to carry it?

Knives were on the list, too, as well as chemical sprays. You do not need any special license to carry any of those items.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

I don't know where you worked, but even our OC and Tasers are not 100% effective. Most of our officers don't even carry OC anymore, as it isn't worth the hassle. You hose someone down, and they still want to fight, now it's all over you. Fun.

What kind of police department issues cattle prods? That's what you described. ANY drive stun device, including using a Taser to drive stun, is simply pain compliance. That pain isn't going to slow down a determined attacker.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't know where you worked, but even our OC and Tasers are not 100% effective. Most of our officers don't even carry OC anymore, as it isn't worth the hassle. You hose someone down, and they still want to fight, now it's all over you. Fun.

What kind of police department issues cattle prods? That's what you described. ANY drive stun device, including using a Taser to drive stun, is simply pain compliance. That pain isn't going to slow down a determined attacker.

Beat me to it.

Top Bottom