• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true. You're care wasn't as good either though, soooo....

I have spent extensive time on the receiving end of medical treatment, and even in just my 20 years or so, there have been incredible increases in the level of care that is now considered to be standard.

In my experience, it's definitely a "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

Truth here. The spouse and I both are living examples of those advancements.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Sounds like she hasn’t been charged yet. Rodney Cummings is the prosecutor up there. Interesting guy, I actually wouldn’t be surprised if he no filed or lesser filed it. He comes from a rough background, and actually got a governors pardon to become a cop/lawyer/prosecutor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Smitherman told police she didn't call the Department of Child Services for fear the boy might be placed in foster care. DCS has since opened an investigation, documents said.

Sounds like she suspected neglect.

In addition to any other duty to report arising under this article, an individual who has reason to believe that a child is a victim of child abuse or neglect shall make a report as required by this article.
    Ind. Code Ann. § 31-33-5-1.

(b) If an individual is required to make a report under this article in the individual's capacity as a member of the staff of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility, or agency, the individual shall immediately make a report to:
    (1) the department; or
    (2) the local law enforcement agency.
    Ind. Code Ann. § 31-33-5-2.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Modern day Robin Hood?

Took money unjustly taken from taxpayers and gave it back to the taxpayers.

...I see more contrast than comparison here.

I applaud her compassion, but there are procedures for getting children in need necessary medical care. She not only didn't follow them, but had her actions gone undiscovered, the authorities would not be looking into this kid's situation and this may be a situation that the authorities need to look into. It's not her call to make. If she pays the $233 back ($233!!!), I see no need for further legal action. Employment? yeah, there should be consequences. She needs to be able to work in the system.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I wonder if the woman considered her actions to be theft, at least in the classic sense; not as a choice to deprive, but to help another. I think that's a significant difference.
    I am sure "intent" will be a factor in her sentence.

Shouldn't get her off the hook, IMHO. I don't see any "but, I had a good heart" exception in the fraud laws.

In reality, she should be glad not to get hit with endangering a minor. Her deception could have had disastrous consequences. A good heart may be a reason, but is not an excuse. This person works around minors all the time. She should know better.

I would completely freak out if a stranger took my kid to the doctor without my knowledge or consent, and lied about it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am sure "intent" will be a factor in her sentence.

Shouldn't get her off the hook, IMHO. I don't see any "but, I had a good heart" exception in the fraud laws.

In reality, she should be glad not to get hit with endangering a minor. Her deception could have had disastrous consequences. A good heart may be a reason, but is not an excuse. This person works around minors all the time. She should know better.

I would completely freak out if a stranger took my kid to the doctor without my knowledge or consent, and lied about it.

Well if you weren't freaked out that a stranger was buying your kids clothes and cleaning your house, why would you be freaked out if they took your kid to the doctor?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well if you weren't freaked out that a stranger was buying your kids clothes and cleaning your house, why would you be freaked out if they took your kid to the doctor?
    Those would freak me out as well, now that you mention it.

Up-thread someone mentioned suspected neglect. As a school employee, she would be required by law to report suspected neglect to CPS within a certain timeframe. Failure to report is a big deal, and there were some IPS folks in really hot water a while back for something similar. In her role, she has some very specific legal responsibilities. She not only failed in them, but then went and did something else illegal. This is starting to go beyond an "oops".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Yeah. If the parents were concerned about someone getting involved in this way, they would be, y'know, raising their child and seeing to his needs personally.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

Agreed for sure. However, after she and her hubby provided clothes, Christmas gifts, cleaned the house, etc., I doubt that she was considered a stranger in the kid's home. It's very easy to see her motivation. As a school superintendent she should be aware of resources available without putting herself in a compromising position. That's my only issue with her actions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Agreed for sure. However, after she and her hubby provided clothes, Christmas gifts, cleaned the house, etc., I doubt that she was considered a stranger in the kid's home. It's very easy to see her motivation. As a school superintendent she should be aware of resources available without putting herself in a compromising position. That's my only issue with her actions.

This.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I wonder if the woman considered her actions to be theft, at least in the classic sense; not as a choice to deprive, but to help another. I think that's a significant difference.

It does. So, which things of yours can I come take from your home while you are at work? I'm going to give them to others. To help them.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Something about this just doesn’t pass the smell test for me. The kid misses a day of school and she feels compelled to go to his home to check on him ? Why/how would a Superintendent know about the specific parenting issues of a student. I wouldn’t think a Superintendent would have direct contact with individual students. Apparently there had been other prior contact. I am wondering if this “15 year old kid” might be a romantic interest of the Superintendent (?). At the very least the system broke down if there was a concern that a student was not receiving proper parental care.

One of the charges filed was for “official misconduct.” Without looking it up, that sounds more like a discipline issue for the school board to handle rather than a criminal charge (?)

I think it might be more reasonable to question the total relationship between the two rather than worrying about $233 “stolen” from an insurance company.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No, but the video mentioned that the uncle had no transportation. I don't think it was willful neglect is all.

Maybe not, but these reports are supposed to made on suspicion and "neglect" need not be willful. The need is the need whether you had the desire to meet the need, but not the ability or not. We're talking about getting the kid the help he needs, not sending someone to jail. By not reporting, the agency that is supposed to be aware of these things, addressing them and tracking them is deprived of the opportunity to do so.

...then, not in this case, but in many, many other cases, if something DOES go really wrong and there is permanent injury or death, someone will ask why no one stepped in earlier, and the answer will be: "we would have if we knew."

Top Bottom