• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe not, but these reports are supposed to made on suspicion and "neglect" need not be willful. The need is the need whether you had the desire to meet the need, but not the ability or not. We're talking about getting the kid the help he needs, not sending someone to jail. By not reporting, the agency that is supposed to be aware of these things, addressing them and tracking them is deprived of the opportunity to do so.

...then, not in this case, but in many, many other cases, if something DOES go really wrong and there is permanent injury or death, someone will ask why no one stepped in earlier, and the answer will be: "we would have if we knew."

I don't disagree with this.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    She tried to do something good the wrong way. I can't condone her exact method, but I don't think she needs to be crucified either. In the grand scheme of sins, where teachers who diddled students can dodge jail time, I think the criminal justice system will survive if they give her pass, and the school moves her to a non-leadership job, maybe in another school system entirely.

Frankly, I think the administrator who parked in the handicap zone and got the SRO kicked off campus deserves much more grief than this woman.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    What is the health care providers (Hospital's) protocol for administering treatment to a sick undocumented immigrant child, accompanied with an adult citizen of no relation?
    If the unrelated adult citizen states that the undocumented parents that are too afraid to show face in a facility for fear of deportation, will the child be turned away?
    Or lets say that the undocumented parents were there, would that change whether or not the child is denied treatment?

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I will admit that when I first saw the headline, I thought she was probably sleeping with him and took him for an STD test. I am surprised that a administrator at this level is involved personally with a student. Loss of job at minimum.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What is the health care providers (Hospital's) protocol for administering treatment to a sick undocumented immigrant child, accompanied with an adult citizen of no relation?
    If the unrelated adult citizen states that the undocumented parents that are too afraid to show face in a facility for fear of deportation, will the child be turned away?
    Or lets say that the undocumented parents were there, would that change whether or not the child is denied treatment?

You have to go to the emergency room to not be turned away. If she had done that, it would probably all be easy breezy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She tried to do something good the wrong way. I can't condone her exact method, but I don't think she needs to be crucified either. In the grand scheme of sins, where teachers who diddled students can dodge jail time, I think the criminal justice system will survive if they give her pass, and the school moves her to a non-leadership job, maybe in another school system entirely.

Frankly, I think the administrator who parked in the handicap zone and got the SRO kicked off campus deserves much more grief than this woman.

Bingo.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Working with these kids is heart rending sometimes. You see the potential, hear the stories of difficult home life and are moved to help. I have paid my own money more than once because it seemed necessary, not in a case like this though.

Probably she simply made the decision to get this taken care of out of compassion. Could have chosen a little different method, but still was moved to act.

Hope she is not deterred from doing good later.

Don

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Winner Winner...

Zero tolerance should go both ways, especially since she enforces it towards students.

^^^True here..
    Kind of reminds me of a dance recital for my Grand Daughters that I went to last year at Noblesville High School===They (the Dance Training School) had NO problem with having STACKS of Fine Wines, and Cheeses inside of the HS, just outside of the auditorium, for a lottery type of fund raiser??
    So much for ZERO Tolerance!!!..Bill.

PS: You KNOW if a Student was found with a Pint of "Ripple" in their locker they would be "Booted" out for the rest of the year...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Only reason for Abx is to prevent rheumatic fever. Which desn’t Really happen in the US. But TONS of complications of Abx DO happen from treating strep throat with antibiotics

plenty of people don’t get seen for strep. They just deal with it and get better in a few days. Yet they don’t get rheumatic fever. So why harm people with Abx to prevent something they wouldn’t Get anyway?

give them prednisone and they’ll feel better

https://www.emrap.org/episode/february2013/penicillinin

The secret reason we treat strep throat | Chad Hayes, MD

About antibiotics

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/understanding-strep-throat-treatment#1

Antibiotics are used for strep throat.
    But not for "sore" throat.

Note: I AM quoting WebMD.
    I AM NOT a medical professional.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Something about this just doesn’t pass the smell test for me. The kid misses a day of school and she feels compelled to go to his home to check on him ? Why/how would a Superintendent know about the specific parenting issues of a student. I wouldn’t think a Superintendent would have direct contact with individual students. Apparently there had been other prior contact. I am wondering if this “15 year old kid” might be a romantic interest of the Superintendent (?). At the very least the system broke down if there was a concern that a student was not receiving proper parental care.

One of the charges filed was for “official misconduct.” Without looking it up, that sounds more like a discipline issue for the school board to handle rather than a criminal charge (?)

I think it might be more reasonable to question the total relationship between the two rather than worrying about $233 “stolen” from an insurance company.

I agree, more to this story that's either being held back or covered up for some reason.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    It sometimes boggles my mind that people think the only way they can pay medical bills is with insurance.

What do they think people did before insurance, or do they believe insurance has always existed?

I think I have, at least, a partial answer to your question. I recently found the bill given to my parents when my mother gave birth to me in 1949. The total bill - including drugs, miscellaneous items, 5 days hospital stay, AND the doctor’s fee was $62.50 ! ! ! ! I don’t know what the inflation rate would do that amount between then and now, but I would bet today’s costs for a typical child birth and 5 day hospital stay would far exceed the inflation adjusted amount ! No wonder folks can’t afford to pay. And when you add in those of us who can pay being required to also pay for those who use medical services and can’t/don’t/won’t pay the cost is even higher.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think I have, at least, a partial answer to your question. I recently found the bill given to my parents when my mother gave birth to me in 1949. The total bill - including drugs, miscellaneous items, 5 days hospital stay, AND the doctor’s fee was $62.50 ! ! ! ! I don’t know what the inflation rate would do that amount between then and now, but I would bet today’s costs for a typical child birth and 5 day hospital stay would far exceed the inflation adjusted amount ! No wonder folks can’t afford to pay. And when you add in those of us who can pay being required to also pay for those who use medical services and can’t/don’t/won’t pay the cost is even higher.

$654.25.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=62.50&year1=194901&year2=201812

Of course, you and your mother also would have a much better chance of surviving in 2019 that 1949 is something went south...so there's that.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    $654.25.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=62.50&year1=194901&year2=201812

Of course, you and your mother also would have a much better chance of surviving in 2019 that 1949 is something went south...so there's that.

Not a good rebuttal if you consider a no complication pregnancy. Granted, today normal term delivery births don’t require the mother stay for 5 days but I would submit the cost today is also far greater than $654 ! I’d almost bet you can’t over the incidentals like phone and tv charges for that !

Anyone have a recent birth that can weigh in on the cost(s) ?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Something about this just doesn’t pass the smell test for me. The kid misses a day of school and she feels compelled to go to his home to check on him ? Why/how would a Superintendent know about the specific parenting issues of a student. I wouldn’t think a Superintendent would have direct contact with individual students. Apparently there had been other prior contact. I am wondering if this “15 year old kid” might be a romantic interest of the Superintendent (?). At the very least the system broke down if there was a concern that a student was not receiving proper parental care.

One of the charges filed was for “official misconduct.” Without looking it up, that sounds more like a discipline issue for the school board to handle rather than a criminal charge (?)

I think it might be more reasonable to question the total relationship between the two rather than worrying about $233 “stolen” from an insurance company.
    I am starting to lean this way. Just doesn't all add up.

When I was in school, if I missed a day(which didn't happen very often), the superintendent didn't come check on me to see if I went to the doctor. I've never heard of such either.

Top Bottom