• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I pick up range brass too but at least I wait until people leave. I don't even go through the trash can if someone is in the lane. It's their lane and I don't want to be back there trashcan diving. Holy cow these guys take it to the next level...

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Wow, interesting. I can't imagine someone risking so much for a few cents. On the other hand, several ranges grab tons of free reloadable brass and are selling it for huge profits. There is etiquette to salvaging brass for reloading-telling lanes next to you "I'm saving my brass", or asking a neighbor "Hey, I do my own reloading, do you want your brass?" In the city, I'm surprised by the people who just throw theirs away. You could easily save yourself hundreds of dollars a year if you just picked up their brass and reloaded it. I have scored tons of free .223 and 9, but I always asked and kept it safe- stay out of their way, use a broom. Some people are grateful for the "cleaning" and some act like you're crazy for asking but will let you take it. As a reloading scrounger I am grateful for both. If someone said "No", it's no and I won't ask again. One of the biggest pains is telling the RO's you are saving your own and then they try to sweep it up anyway out of habit! If somene was just doing it for scrap I think I'd be annoyed too, because they have no investment, are unsafe and don't listen as you mentioned. Respectable scrappers would be a different story.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes, I have to agree, THESE BRASS WHORES are more in the way than anything else.

I still am able to pick my brass up without interuption or distraction, but I have just been lucky. I've seen it happen Maybe my body language and facial expression including a pretty snarly stare maybe conveyed the point, dont even try A@@H@@@ Excuse my language , just the way I feel about. They are doing it for bucks.
    If I get in my car and leave and do not police my brass, have at it. But until then stay the hell out of my way and away from me while I am shooting.

Now do I check for brass laying around? Yes, but not until they have drove away. And really not until I am packed up, ready to drive away, Mostly to police the area I was shootint at.

At the indoor range I can pick up my own brass and that is it and that is what I do. I am glad for the consideration of that.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    They'd love us. I have to tell my boys to put the **** down because I'm tired of finding casings everywhere. I bet go we through 1000-1500 rounds every time we go.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I grab my brass that I reload, used to leave other stuff like .223 for fellow shooters/reloaders but now I am gearing up to reload it as well. I do go out to the berms if nobody else is on the line and pick up lead laying on the top. Usually come away with twice what I sent into the dirt. I fill up a coffee can at least and when I get enough, smelt it down to ingots and make more .38/.357's to send to the berm. It is the bullet's circle of life.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I've seen folks bring old TV sets, computers & trash to shoot at, Then they just leave it behind.

When I used to go to Henryville, I too witnessed people putting TV's and glass bottles out to shoot up even though the rules clearly state not to do that. They were laughing and having a good time, but ultimately left their stuff where they put it. I remember thinking of asking these people not to do this, but how to you approach strangers that are armed to the teeth and behaving like drunken cowboys at Dodge City? That is why I joined SIRPC and never went back to Henryville. It was the Wild West atmosphere that disturbed me and the thought of an accident could happen at anytime. I also hated waiting for extended time for people that were just churning up dirt with AR'sand AK's so I could practice. Don't get me wrong, its fun to blast stuff, but I was trying to zero in rifles and it became too much of a hastle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I remember thinking of asking these people not to do this, but how to you approach strangers that are armed to the teeth and behaving like drunken cowboys at Dodge City?...

Take a picture of the perp, car, license plate. Send to DNR/LEO...

Start with the license plate of the car in the lot. Send it to authorities or somewhere for safe keeping before exposing yourself to taking pics of the perps.

In this case, a call would be warranted to call the authorities after recording/sending the particulars.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've had guys ask if im saving my brass. When I reply yes they've asked what calibers. Sometimes they pick it up and put it in a neat little pile for me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like a great reason to get a membership at a range, so that only members can get onto the range. I've never had this issue at MCF&G, HCF&G, ACC or other members only clubs I've shot at.

I've run into these type guys at MCFG. Get there at about 7:50 am on a Monday during the summer and you'll likely meet these guys cleaning up after a weekends shootings. It's frustrating to have to wait until these guys finish scavenging before shooting. One of them bragged about how he pays his MCFG membership through scrapping brass and tried to rationalize it by saying that it's unsafe to reload brass left by others. The thing is, he wouldn't bother with the tons of .22lr cases all over the place and only picked up good, usable brass.

Another guy was scavenging the north bay when I got there so I shot in the south bay. When he was done with the north bay, he waited for me to leave before scavenging the south bay. He was nice enough about it and I think that he was a reloader. I've never had an issue with someone collecting brass for reloading, but when they grab good brass for the scrap value, they are no longer a member of the shooting community and are just a scavenger at that point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've run into these type guys at MCFG. Get there at about 7:50 am on a Monday during the summer and you'll likely meet these guys cleaning up after a weekends shootings. It's frustrating to have to wait until these guys finish scavenging before shooting. One of them bragged about how he pays his MCFG membership through scrapping brass and tried to rationalize it by saying that it's unsafe to reload brass left by others. The thing is, he wouldn't bother with the tons of .22lr cases all over the place and only picked up good, usable brass.

Another guy was scavenging the north bay when I got there so I shot in the south bay. When he was done with the north bay, he waited for me to leave before scavenging the south bay. He was nice enough about it and I think that he was a reloader. I've never had an issue with someone collecting brass for reloading, but when they grab good brass for the scrap value, they are no longer a member of the shooting community and are just a scavenger at that point.

I am not sure MCF$G is OK with this. They used to keep all the left brass. We need to check with the staff. If these guys are holding up shooters that is a lot of crap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had scrappers actually take my bucket of brass while I was downrange changing targets. I am fortunate enough now to belong to a range where we don't have that problem.

Which is why I do not want anyone around my gear even if I am there. Friends/RO's yes but just people......"NO"

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Not really sure I would be as patient as you all were with these idiots.
    We used to deal with scrapers all the time being in the HVAC trades and most of them suck. I have zero trust in the majority of these people.

Yep, true story "T"
    A couple of years ago we were re-modeling our bathroom...All day carried out drywall, cabinets, sink, etc.
    Carried out our old 6' cast iron tub, and NO sooner than it hit the pick up, the scrappers came around the corner==I think?? on TWO wheels-Ask if they could have the tub..I said yes as long as they took the toilet, and sink too....Thy said that they did NOT want those...I said the ONLY way that they could have the tub was if they took the toilet and sink too...I bet that those two hit a fence row on their way back to Shelbyville...HA HA HA....Bill.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A couple of years ago, my brother put a big screen TV out at the end of his driveway with a FREE sign on it, thinking that he was doing a good deed for someone that might want it. Later that day, he saw a scrapper driving away and realized that the prick had just stopped long enough to cut the power cord off the thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A couple of years ago, my brother put a big screen TV out at the end of his driveway with a FREE sign on it, thinking that he was doing a good deed for someone that might want it. Later that day, he saw a scrapper driving away and realized that the prick had just stopped long enough to cut the power cord off the thing.

Scrappers suck.
    Yup. I said it.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette

That blows my mind. I really hope the Karma run gives the the #&@$ sandwich they deserve.

Top Bottom