• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    What is it with all the idiot scratches on firearms? In my whole life and hundredes on 1911's I have never put one (1) scratch on any of my 1911's. I had a chance to purchase a beautiful Colt 1911, but it had the worst scratch on it I have ever seen!! With that "deep" of a scratch and with the owner not wanting to budge, for me it was the scratch!!
    I packed my bags and left. I really wanted to walk with this firearm, but no deal.. In some cases the scratches can be worked out, but with this one, there was no way. I know it's called an idiot scratch, but what really happens? Screw drivers? Not knowing how too take one apart, or put one back together? Come on fellow firearm owners. Stop with the scratching of your 1911's. Read the manuals, leave the screw drivers alone. I presently own 27 different 1911's, and not one has a "Idiot scratch" Wow, I almost feel better now. Ok, I'm done with my rant. Thanks for reading....

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I feel your pain.

It always make me cringe a bit when I see one with a scratch. I have two with idiot scratches one I did and one my son did when learning. I've never scratches another of my guns since then. Some say it gives it character.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Well thanks Armed-N-Ready for manning up. I find so many guys will say, "I didn't do it" And like you say, many that make that first mistake, learn from it and never do it again. I guess we all learn one way or another. And I don't feel that it gives it character. I'd prefer it does not have that character!! Having so many 1911's, it's just a personal thing for me. I feel there is not a better firearm made. I'm sure others will feel different on that subject, but with over 100 years, it just speaks for it's self.. Thanks Armed-N-Ready

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have three 1911's now. All of them have some kind of scratch on them. Then again they are all working guns. Then again they are not screwdriver scratches, just wear and tear.

If you do not like the scratch, then you did not buy the gun. Just as you should do. If it was a good gun, the scratch is not a big deal with me. You seem to want safe queen guns, a lot of them will not be if they are working guns or guns of idiots. That is life, learn to deal with it. I understand your rant, but it seems you could not get a better deal because of it and you are upset about it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A lot of my firearms have scratches and I don't understand what the big deal is over them. My Springfield 1911 does have an idiot scratch that was there when I bought it, but was made worse the first time I reassembled it. Both of my Kimbers have scratches on the frame (not idiot scratches) from spending a lot of time in holsters. None of the scratches were caused by tools, but more are a result of the finish Kimber uses. Personally, I like the patina of use that a carried firearm gains. My CZs get carried a lot, but have no scratches due to the better quality finish on them. The controls are getting that polished look that's letting the metal show through, but that's to be expected with use.

I was at the range last week when another shooter let me see his older Kimber 1911. It was blued and had a lot of wear to it. It looked beautiful to me, with all of that wear. Maybe it's just me though. I like the look of a machine that looks like it has been worked hard, yet is every bit as capable as it was when it was produced. My cars tend to follow that trend. Rock chips are a badge of honor and are earned through lots of miles on the road.

I do draw the line at real idiot marks though. Stuff like scratches that are caused by someone prying things apart with a screwdriver or clamping it in a vise that leaves teeth marks. The typical idiot mark does not bother me much though. If you look at most 1911s used operationally, they show the typical idiot scratch.

As I said, it might just be me, but I like the look of a tool that is well used, but still every be as effective as the day it was created.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Every one of my guns has scratches or wear in the finish. I don't like safe queens - I use all of my guns and sometimes that means **** happens.

Just last week I took a tumble and ended up breaking the rear sight on my HiPower. I now need to get new sights, a refinish job, and while I'm at it a new hammer/sear/spring kit.

That's the way it goes when you're a real man like me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Idiot scratches are quite simply caused by people with no mechanical skills who look at the mechanism and decide that you should just push it straight in. What could go wrong? These same people will look at a magazine catch stud and think it is a screw and proceed to attempt to "unscrew" it. With lots of torque. Break off the tip of the screwdriver and wonder why that screw is SO tight. Sadly most people today have no idea how to use tools of any kind. Almost every place I have ever worked was filled people who when they need to open a package they grab a pair of scissors because knives are just too scary. My house is filled with very sharp knives and my wife will use scissors for everything. Even after I bought her her very own retractable utility knife she still uses scissors. We are progressing backwards I think.

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Common mistake by people new to the 1911. They push the slide stop in until it hits the plunger. The plunger on new guns can be very tight. They then try to swing the slide stop up to push the plunger back and dig into the frame on the trip.

I did it to my dad's Gold Cup when I was 16 years old. I was trying to show him how much I thought I knew and did it right in front of him. I don't know how he didn't strangle me (actually as a father myself now I do know). He just sat there for a second, then looked at me and said "I bet you'll never do that again." And he was right.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Like you, I detest the infamous idiot scratch on a 1911. It just shows incompetence or ignorance of the 1911 platform. I do however, love the look of scratched and worn 1911's that have obviously been used as the tools they are.

Link to worn 1911's on the 1911 forum.

Just look at that gorgeous Les Baer on the first page! Now that's what I'm talking about.

Another fine example:
    worn1911.jpg

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like you, I detest the infamous idiot scratch on a 1911. It just shows incompetence or ignorance of the 1911 platform. I do however, love the look of scratched and worn 1911's that have obviously been used as the tools they are.

Link to worn 1911's on the 1911 forum.

Just look at that gorgeous Les Baer on the first page! Now that's what I'm talking about.

Another fine example:
    worn1911.jpg

I can verify the ignorance cause. That was how I did mine when I first got my first 1911. It had a slight mark and I turned it into a big one based on all the knowledge of 1911 assembly you can get in a two minute YouTube video.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have only owned one 1911 so far in my lifetime. In my novice experience, I was unaware of just exactly how to place the slide stop lever back into it's correct position. Thus, in turn, I couldn't avoid adding my first "idiot mark". I got to the point where I was extremely proficient at not adding any future blemishes shortly there afterwards.

I have a before and after photo somewhere around there...you just live and learn, and keep doin' both in this life. Lesson learned. :D

Last edited:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Idiot marks

Yes we all make mistakes with our firearms. I'm up to 14 in my 1911 collection. The two I have with scratches are as valued as those without. Mine for my mistake and the other as a memory of my son's first experience with a 1911 when he was learning.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    gglass, beautiful!! Beautiful looking Les Baer.. I guess I should have been a little more specific. When I said scratch looking at the Colt 1911 that I wanted to buy, it was "DEEP" more that just a scratch. It was pristine in all manners with the exception of the scratch. I can live with a well worn firearm. I own one safe queen! Of the 27 different 1911's I own, all are fired almost all of the time. I go to the range, I rotate them.
    Now that one you show gglass, that is a 1911 I'd be proud of. It's the ones that someone has taken tools to them. It just has to be people that do not know of assembly of the 1911. I seen a Remington Rand last week that looked like someone had taken a chisel too it, in trying to get the grips off. And on the top it looked to be someone tried to cut the front site off with a grinder and then used a Dremel tool to cut the dovetail.
    A beautiful peace of history destroyed!! And he wanted $1120 for it?? Put down the Dremel tools and screw divers and take it to someone that knows whats going on. My safe queen is a Remington Rand and is worn, never been re-blued, and is my pride a joy. And I fire it on a regular basis. Thanks for the feed on my post guys...

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I've seen used guns and abused guns. Used well there is a limit to me on them.
    What I really detest more than minor scratches is someone who lets their guns rust and never cleans them.....just really gets under my crawl to see that...guess I'm anal about things like that

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I purchased my first new 1911 after joining INGO and I was worried about the idiot scratch before I even purchased it. I must have watched 10 different You Tube videos and none really helped; the new gun was so tight that I waited until the next day to put the pin back. Eventually I determined that you only need a slight angle and that it almost goes straight in (there is a small nub that seemed to be spring loaded?).

Thanks to all the INGO warnings, no Idiot scratch (at least not yet). I will post if and when it happens.:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My handguns are tools. My handguns are intended to protect me or my family. My handguns are for marksmanship practice. My handguns are not for "admiring" or "babying". I wouldn't care if a crescent wrench got knicked and I wouldn't care if one of my handguns did either. The perp who takes two in the chest will not know if there's an idiot mark, and forbid if ever happen, I won't be thinking of the scratch when I'm pulling the trigger.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Being diligent in the upkeep of your tools does not equate "babying".
    It's simply taking good care of your belongings. And there's nothing wrong with that...

Top Bottom