• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I find this topic elitist and exclusionary in nature. Scratches happen by accident or by the process of learning. It disturbs me even more having browsed these forums for some months. The purposed mindset around here, I thought, is how we need to get our message out and get more people involved with their 2nd amendment rights and fighting stereotypes associated with gun owners. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.:twocents:
    How on earth is it elitist and exclusionary to encourage and promote the proper care of a firearm by reading a manual or taking steps to avoid marring it by simply doing something CORRECTLY? If it was meant to have a trench there, JMB would have have designed it that way to begin with.

Hey JetGirl, that is pretty cool how you came up with that google move.. I like that!! Thanks... Mike:rockwoot:
    :yesway: :)

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    How on earth is it elitist and exclusionary to encourage and promote the proper care of a firearm by reading a manual or taking steps to avoid marring it by simply doing something CORRECTLY? If it was meant to have a trench there, JMB would have have designed it that way to begin with.

:yesway: :)

I'm not trying to instigate anything, I'm just saying. You are correct, once learned the proper way no one wants that to happen. I have a very faint scratch that you can't even see until it's held in the proper light. It's not even a mm long under the slide stop. I saw that as a potential problem initially but felt the pressure by just pressing down required upon reassembly per Colt's manual was too much.

It was after that one try that I started looking for a small allen wrench to press the plunger in a bit to relieve the downward force required. I don't want to ruin anything but realize the only way anything ever stays perfect is to never use it. I'm all for proper instruction and complete reading of any and all associated literature but this comes off as cynical arrogance. I can not think of any easier or quicker way to turn someone off than by potentially ostracizing them for a simple mistake many have made before.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I find this topic elitist and exclusionary in nature.

Wait a second.... I'll try...working on it..... argh, nope I couldn't bring myself to care.....

The purposed mindset around here, I thought, is how we need to get our message out and get more people involved with their 2nd amendment rights and fighting stereotypes associated with gun owners. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.:twocents:

Many have said, "the 2nd Amendment protects the 1st Amendment". You're opinion exemplifies that premise. Also, the mindset around here is that your opinion counts for no more that anyone else's.....many aspects of gun ownership are discussed... including good maintenance practices, along with poor maintenance practices. Deal with it. :patriot:

If you view a given practice as acceptable maintenance, that's terrific. If I view that same practice as unacceptable maintenance, that's MY view, and if you find my view elitist and exclusionary, well, things are tough all over.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I find this topic elitist and exclusionary in nature. Scratches happen by accident or by the process of learning. It disturbs me even more having browsed these forums for some months. The purposed mindset around here, I thought, is how we need to get our message out and get more people involved with their 2nd amendment rights and fighting stereotypes associated with gun owners. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.:twocents:
    How on earth is it elitist and exclusionary to encourage and promote the proper care of a firearm
    I'm not trying to instigate anything, I'm just saying.
    I still don't get why you think it's "elitist and exclusionary".

Especially, when you admit that given PROPER care instruction, no one "Wants that to happen"...
    You are correct, once learned the proper way no one wants that to happen.
    Wouldn't that opinion make YOU "Elitist and exclusionary" as well??

If you view a given practice as acceptable maintenance, that's terrific. If I view that same practice as unacceptable maintenance, that's MY view, and if you find my view elitist and exclusionary, well, things are tough all over.
    I'd be hard pressed to even *consider* buying anything from anyone who viewed careless maintenance as "acceptable". If they're doing that to the outside, God only knows what they've done to the parts you CAN'T see...

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Every one of my guns has scratches or wear in the finish. I don't like safe queens - I use all of my guns and sometimes that means **** happens.

Which is why I buy glocks and lol at people who tell me they are ugly. Function over form.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Seems to me the Colt slide stop is poorly shaped. I bought a Combat Elite that appeared to be a safe queen. Absolutely perfect, all the way to water buffalo horn grips without a scratch on 'em - and those things are soft. Well, it was forty years or so since I'd had instruction on the 1911, and the first thing I did was put an Idiot Scratch on the brushed SS frame. Sigh. I did some studying and learned a few things.

First, you can get rid of a light idiot scratch in brushed stainless by very carefully using scotch brite (I used brown). Just carefully rub it one way in the same direction as the original brush marks. My idiot mark is now gone.

Second, here's a way to fix the actual problem of hard seating against the plunger.

Third, Wilson Combat slide stops are shaped differently. I replaced my standard SS slide stop with an extended Wilson Combat SS slide stop. It clicks into place with very little effort, but is rock solid once it's there. And I can release the slide stop without changing my hand position. It just took a little filing on the ebony grips I got to replace the buffalo horn grips.

Gonna grow up to be a 1911 gunsmith yet. :)

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I still don't understand the idiot scratch thing. I owned ONE 1911, took it apart and put it back together no problems, I don't even see WHY the damn lever would need to be pushed on hard at all.

I assumed from the get go that my dumbass would be putting a scratch on it, and I didn't. Therefore, no excuses from the rest of you.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't even see WHY the damn lever would need to be pushed on hard at all.

Because if you place it at even the slightest imperceptible angle, it won't just drop right in. People with little patience or the lack of knowledge will try to muscle it in, instead of readjusting and letting it seat properly as designed.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    100+ years of the 1911 prove function, reliability, dependability,beauty and form:rockwoot:

True to a point. Two things to remember: Not just anyone can shoot a 1911 as proven by those that can't figure out what a limp wrist is and secondly, they only funtction 100% of the time NOW because so many are making them in the configurations that Colts had to have done as "custom" work. Don't believe me? What is selling faster than hotcakes right now, Colt or Ruger.

Don't get me wrong either, I love the 1911, it's a classic.

The future though, belongs to tactical Tupperware.

Just sayin' ;)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree with skip. The 1911 is a fine fine weapon. It wouldn't have been so copied if it were not. It will continue to be made and produced as long as people are not prevented from buying them.

And while the future is the poly framed sidearm, there will always be a factory fresh 1911 made by somebody at the same gunshop they will be selling 8th generation Glocks.

And I do fret about cosmetics, too. My Combat Magnum's turn mark around its cylinder makes me a little sad. But it doesn't keep me from shooting it one bit. And it'll be on my hip as I'm stumbling through the woods come opening day, too. So yeah, they have to develop character eventually - it's not ever getting sold or anything.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Making mistakes with tools may be a lack of knowledge or a lack of skill. Experience is what you get right after you need it.

I could rant here about people's inability to skillfully use their native tongue, even though they've been using it their entire lives and spent many years in school getting lots of knowledge, practice and coaching.

So, someone tried to do something with his own gun and that he bought and he put a scratch on it. And the deacons of the Church of the 1911 all collectively sucked in their breath and tsk tsked the night away.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Making mistakes with tools may be a lack of knowledge or a lack of skill. Experience is what you get right after you need it.

I could rant here about people's inability to skillfully use their native tongue, even though they've been using it their entire lives and spent many years in school getting lots of knowledge, practice and coaching.

So, someone tried to do something with his own gun and that he bought and he put a scratch on it. And the deacons of the Church of the 1911 all collectively sucked in their breath and tsk tsked the night away.

TOO FUNNY!

:lol2::lol2::hehe::hehe::hehe::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

Quite true. That being said, I'd guess that most folks don't learn to fly jets without basic ground school being completed first.

...and the deacons of the English language are going to rant about how others use their own language? hmmmmm.... I'm beginning to see some similarities here.

Gee, as long as it can be understood, how anyone uses English should be ok.... right ? :dunno:

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Quite true. That being said, I'd guess that most folks don't learn to fly jets without basic ground school being completed first.

...and the deacons of the English language are going to rant about how others use their own language? hmmmmm.... I'm beginning to see some similarities here.

Gee, as long as it can be understood, how anyone uses English should be ok.... right ? :dunno:

Now Jay, fellow Gyrene, (1973-1979), you have to admit that the English dross used, was arranged in a peculiar and skillful way showing a superior grasp of the use of the English language! I mean, come one, that was the funniest way to put something I have heard in a long time, brotha!

Literally, ROTFL! My wife looked at me like I was crazy! Well, that is another subject for another day entirely! ;)

I do agree with you on one point as well, just as long as its ENGLISH! Why should I, an American have to dial 1 for anything other than ENGLISH?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I. Are. Posting. Link.

Please to use link, you. For save frame from scratch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdtc4qD3jMw[/ame]

You no worry scratch? Big deal. Not mine, don't care.
    You care? Use sissy tool.

Hope helps.

:p

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I could care less about a scratch on any of my firearms they are tools and get banged up from tme to time. I have 2 1911s one has idiot mark one doesnt, and I put the mark there BFD !

Last edited:
    Top Bottom