• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    After some minor google-fu and searching in here, it is obvious that a Honda with an inverter, and variable throttle is the best.

My question, is it necessary.

It would be good for electronics, but if I just want to run regular appliances, like HVAC, fridge, washer, microwave, is a standar one RPM type non-inverting generator good enough?

Thanks in advance.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    In my Opinion no, it is not.
    If you keep the thing evenly balanced across phases and less than 85% loaded, it should be fine.

But if I had the money, I would have bought the Honda.
    (Or the Champion 2000W model)

I learned a lot about "Cheap Chinese generators" on RV forums.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yeah, for short term use. I've owned and killed a couple dozen generators over the years. Right now I have a Honda EU2000i running to power the shop. It's my second and I have about 1400 hours on it.

The biggest advantages of the inverter generators is the ability to sip fuel when they are not providing full power, and they are much quieter and lighter.

If you are looking to power a few appliances during an outage once in a while then pretty much any of the decent 3600rpm gensets will do the trick if you maintain them. Stay away from the really cheap ones with one exception. The Champion 3500 watt generator is about the best value for the money out there in non inverter generators.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Honda.

I have a generac 5500 with the briggs. Good enogh for emergencies but not for long life.
    Also a backup Coleman 4400, I bought for $150 at a yard sale last summer. Put fresh fuel in it and dropped the carb bowl and cleaned it. Several pulls and it fired.

My buddy has a lowboy Kubota diesel . It is awesome.

Know some guys with 3oo and 500 kw ones. They will only have cat.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gillette Generators in Elkhart use KleenPower for running anything with electronics. We have the 15,000W unit and really like it.
    http://www.gillettegenerators.com/
    I would not pay the higher price for a Honda when I can get a locally made unit at a more reasonable price with great customer service (which I have used).:yesway:

If you don't mind my asking...can you ballpark the cost of that 15kw unit?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Get yourself a Honda Motor, an Alternator off a Late Model Buick, a couple of good 12VDC Batteries, and an inverter...

Tada, you have a Generator...
    LOL

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I could kick myself!!!

I was out looking at new GEN's on Sat, and did not get one to replace the one I gave to my son who lives in Greene Co. Because he looses power any time the wind blows above 5 mph. So last night of course I could not find a good GEN anywhere! But at about 8 pm I found a All-Power 6000 watt GEN at an O'Reily AP store and bought it cause I always loose power when one of these storms hit, and am always one of the last to get power back. And of course it's made in Shanghi, and for $599 I'm not expecting much but just how bad are these? I'll probably get a better one in the near future. Although there are a few things I like about this one that I like better than the Craftsman that I did have. Metal gas tank for one, sturdier front pedestal and solid tires for mobility. The Craftsman pedastal was always bending the fuel gage became unreadable, and when I got a flat on the inflatable tires it was nearly impossible to find a replacement! Finally found a tube at Harbour Freight. Anyway I'll let you all know how it performs WHEN I loose power! :dunno:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Get yourself a Honda Motor, an Alternator off a Late Model Buick, a couple of good 12VDC Batteries, and an inverter...

LOL

I could just take the diodes out of the alternator and have AC power. Not sure if it's 120 though... hhhmmmm....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could just take the diodes out of the alternator and have AC power. Not sure if it's 120 though... hhhmmmm....

If you pull the Diodes out you will have to build some type of Voltage Regulator. Plus it is very hard to build a stable 60hz output wave like this.

Easier to do the DC power then run an Inverter... :dunno:

I am going to be trying to run this setup off of 4 cycle weed eater motor after this round of emergencies.

I would be interested in haw you would build a junkyard AC Regulator though...;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Voltage reg just needs a reference to work. I'd have to back feed the system, which could get hairy... :eek:

I doubt it would feed a clean sin 120 AC regardless of how much monkeying I did to it.

The only problem with inverters is that the $$/watts ratio is pretty high.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

LOL

I know you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a lot of folks who do this, but it's nowhere as efficient as the direct inverter generator or even as the 3600 rpm generator. And car alternators tend to not like putting out near full power continuously, and a good sized and quality truck alternator is $$$.

It's actually more efficient for me to run an inverter-generator and charge my battery bank through the switching power supply in my inverter-charger than to go the car alternator route. By a significant amount. It's an ok thing for a weekender who has the parts for free or really cheap, but it's not really a good replacement for a quality generator (or even a cheaper generator), and if you have to buy the parts new it's going to be significantly more expensive. Quality inverters that can sustain a kilowatt draw or higher for any length of time run $500+. My DR1512 is about $700. Sure, cheap inverters in the 2-3 kW range can be had for $200-300 but they WILL crap out very quickly. BTDT.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I know you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a lot of folks who do this, but it's nowhere as efficient as the direct inverter generator or even as the 3600 rpm generator. And car alternators tend to not like putting out near full power continuously, and a good sized and quality truck alternator is $$$.
    Was really not being that tongue in cheek. Well maybe a little bit.

By the way you can get the Alternator off of a late model Buick/Oldsmobile/Cadillac is generally in the 150+ Amp output range. You can pick them up out of most Junkyards for like less than $20...

It's actually more efficient for me to run an inverter-generator and charge my battery bank through the switching power supply in my inverter-charger than to go the car alternator route. By a significant amount. It's an ok thing for a weekender who has the parts for free or really cheap, but it's not really a good replacement for a quality generator (or even a cheaper generator), and if you have to buy the parts new it's going to be significantly more expensive. Quality inverters that can sustain a kilowatt draw or higher for any length of time run $500+. My DR1512 is about $700. Sure, cheap inverters in the 2-3 kW range can be had for $200-300 but they WILL crap out very quickly. BTDT.

I never said it was overly efficient, or better than the most current purchased Direct Inverter or 3600 RPM Generator bought today. It is possible to build a very effective, very cheap Generator though with little or no special tools, time or skills... ;)

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Started my little 1kw Chi-com genset last night to confirm function and then went and got a few gallons of gas. If I lose power I'll have enough juice to run the tube and I'll get the wood stove going.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I never said it was overly efficient, or better than the most current purchased Direct Inverter or 3600 RPM Generator bought today. It is possible to build a very effective, very cheap Generator though with little or no special tools, time or skills... ;)

Until you add the batteries and inverter into the mix :D Even a cheap trolling motor battery is going to run you $70 and a cheap 1-2kw inverter that will most likely die a hideous death right when the microwave *almost* has the chili defrosted is going to be $150-200. Might as well buy that Champion 3500 watt generator for $250 and be done with it!

I built a couple of engine-alternator sets when I was just starting out in alternative energy and gave it up as a lost cause.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Since this is the generator q&a thread, I've got a question... What size generator is needed to power the blower on a gas furnace?

Top Bottom